What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why no noise?

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a little movie filmed with my iPad Air. It's in MOV format. Downloaded to my PC it works just fine, but if I try to play it on my iPad I am back to the silent movie days (which I only just avoided :( ).

What settings have I mucked up?

OP
Expatriate

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is the first time this forum has not responded with a solution, or, at least, some suggestions for solving a problem I have listed. Life experience tells me that the solution to this problem will probably be something so simple, and so obvious, I can't see it.

I'd really appreciate someone making me feel really thick by pointing out the obvious ;).

Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi twerpoet

I just used "Camera" to film it, and I think I copied it over to PC using Windows Explorer. Sadly (even zipped) it's too big to attach, but it's on OneDrive if you want to look. It's nothing special.

Well, I went to the link via Safari on my iPad Air 2 - the video played fine and w/ sound - if you do the same on your iPad, do you hear the sound? Dave :)

OP
Expatriate

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Worse than that! I don't even get a picture.

I used Safari, logged into the site, tapped the link - nothing! Just a blank screen.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Worse than that! I don't even get a picture.

I used Safari, logged into the site, tapped the link - nothing! Just a blank screen.

Well, that is weird - have you Reset the iPad? If not and not familiar w/ the process, just hold down both the HOME and ON/OFF buttons until the Apple logo appears (may take 10+ secs), then release and allow the device to reboot - Dave :)

OP
Expatriate

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, that is weird ...

This will be weirder! I did a Reset and there is no change in the situation. I get no noise from the movie on the iPad, and nothing at all from the movie on OneDrive.

So ... in the interests of scientific progress I experiment. I film another movie using Camera and ... lo and behold! I get the movie and no noise.

As the man wrote, "The plot thickens!"

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Like Giradman, I can go to your link and can play the video, with sound. At this point it sounds like a problem with the iPad, not the video.

Do you hear sounds from games, or any other apps? Can you play music? Basically, does anything else make noise?

Things to check.
  • Make sure you have not muted the iPad in the Control Center.
  • In Settings > Sounds Make sure the volume is turned up.
  • In Settings > Bluetooth, make sure you are not connected to a bluetooth speaker or headphones. In the Conrol Panel you can tap-hold on the Muisic control, then tap the icon at the top right to switch between available audio outputs.
  • When you use the volume buttons pay attention to the icon that appears. If it says Headphones, then the iPad things you have headphones attached. Older modles have been know to get stuck in headphone mode. Inserting and removing the headphones several times is the usual fix.

OP
Expatriate

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you use the volume buttons pay attention ...

Playing with the volume buttons (which I do not recollect ever touching) I found a 'Muted' icon (cleared that) and the volume turned right down (fixed that too). Now all is well. Movie with sound from both places. Thanks folks.

But BTW:
If I go to Settings --> Sounds --> Lock Sound the slide is to the right (showing green). Does this not mean that the sound is locked and the buttons on the side of the iPad should be deactivated?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Lock Sound, along with Key Clicks, just means you hear a click when you open or close your iPad (or use the keyboard). It is optional.

OP
Expatriate

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, then ... is there a way to lock the Sound Settings so you can't have an inadvertent SNAFU like I just did?

Most reactions