Why no game console for Apple?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by wbeasleyatsmu, Apr 5, 2012.

1. wbeasleyatsmu

wbeasleyatsmu
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

With the idea of cloud gaming linking your tablet to your console and Apple having such a big name in the technology game I must ask again, why no game console for apple?

2. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    They prob haven't thought about it, though i'd be first in line.

3. wbeasleyatsmu

wbeasleyatsmu
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I can't imagine that it hasn't crossed their mind, especially with all this profit. Investing in a console could have done so much for apple if it could sync to an Ipad. You would have built in buyer who own an Ipad, people who would buy both because it is such a great thing to be able to play a real game on your console all over the world, and people who switch from tablet to Ipad after they get the Iconsole(whatever they call it) and think this would be fun to play at work(although that isn't necessarily recommended). The possibilities would be endless and could it further the gap between apple and the rest of the market. Along with this you could have accessories, apple exclusive games, all kinds of stuff that would just make the rich richer.

4. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, let's see. iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad. Games golare.

5. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There are pictures of a prototype out, but no information on when and if it will be offered.

6. wbeasleyatsmu

wbeasleyatsmu
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I hope you are kidding. Games, hardly. You don't see any apps getting nominated for game of the year with infamous, mw3, or madden do you? Didn't think so, those are novelties and I want to see multi-million dollar projects where countless hours are invested in something people put out with pride, not a talking cat. I know those take work, but there are certainly reasons why you pay .99 cents as opposed to 60 dollars.

7. zphone

zphone
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    You will see award winning games as the userbase increases. Writing good games for iPad requires a design change and not a game port. The hardware is there.

I don't think they need another me too product that competes with nintendo, Sony or Microsoft. That would be plain dumb and I have not seen apple being dumb about much.

8. wbeasleyatsmu

wbeasleyatsmu
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    In what way would it be dumb? Do you have any guess how much money was made in the video game industry last year? Somewhere in the 20 BILLION!!!! dollar range, one would argue it would be stupid to not get in on one of the largest industries in the country. Also, the userbase is already enormous at around 240 million estimated Ipad sales, in what way would a high quality console with a loyal following of customers ready to buy hurt? Anything apple touches turns to gold, so it is only one more way to tap into a uninhabited market which is what apple does best.

9. seneca18

seneca18
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Even though the iPad can play games it is a productivity tool for most. I have no idea where you got the 240 million number from but that has to be way off. I would guess closer to 50 million iPads worldwide. I'm sure Apple has tinkered with the idea but more goes into the game system than just the console. Think Xbox live and playstation network. Plus I think most would keep their brand or game system for reasons of backward compatible games that they have bought over the years.

10. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with zphone....aint gonna happen. Apple doesn't enter markets full of competitor, it likes to create them. It will either do it on idevices or it won't do it. And the market for games on those devices is big too. I don't think the world needs another consoles.