What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why no game console for Apple?

wbeasleyatsmu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
images

With the idea of cloud gaming linking your tablet to your console and Apple having such a big name in the technology game I must ask again, why no game console for apple?

OP
W

wbeasleyatsmu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't imagine that it hasn't crossed their mind, especially with all this profit. Investing in a console could have done so much for apple if it could sync to an Ipad. You would have built in buyer who own an Ipad, people who would buy both because it is such a great thing to be able to play a real game on your console all over the world, and people who switch from tablet to Ipad after they get the Iconsole(whatever they call it) and think this would be fun to play at work(although that isn't necessarily recommended). The possibilities would be endless and could it further the gap between apple and the rest of the market. Along with this you could have accessories, apple exclusive games, all kinds of stuff that would just make the rich richer.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, let's see. iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad. Games golare.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are pictures of a prototype out, but no information on when and if it will be offered.

OP
W

wbeasleyatsmu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, let's see. iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad. Games golare.

I hope you are kidding. Games, hardly. You don't see any apps getting nominated for game of the year with infamous, mw3, or madden do you? Didn't think so, those are novelties and I want to see multi-million dollar projects where countless hours are invested in something people put out with pride, not a talking cat. I know those take work, but there are certainly reasons why you pay .99 cents as opposed to 60 dollars.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You will see award winning games as the userbase increases. Writing good games for iPad requires a design change and not a game port. The hardware is there.

I don't think they need another me too product that competes with nintendo, Sony or Microsoft. That would be plain dumb and I have not seen apple being dumb about much.

OP
W

wbeasleyatsmu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In what way would it be dumb? Do you have any guess how much money was made in the video game industry last year? Somewhere in the 20 BILLION!!!! dollar range, one would argue it would be stupid to not get in on one of the largest industries in the country. Also, the userbase is already enormous at around 240 million estimated Ipad sales, in what way would a high quality console with a loyal following of customers ready to buy hurt? Anything apple touches turns to gold, so it is only one more way to tap into a uninhabited market which is what apple does best.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In what way would it be dumb? Do you have any guess how much money was made in the video game industry last year? Somewhere in the 20 BILLION!!!! dollar range, one would argue it would be stupid to not get in on one of the largest industries in the country. Also, the userbase is already enormous at around 240 million estimated Ipad sales, in what way would a high quality console with a loyal following of customers ready to buy hurt? Anything apple touches turns to gold, so it is only one more way to tap into a uninhabited market which is what apple does best.

Even though the iPad can play games it is a productivity tool for most. I have no idea where you got the 240 million number from but that has to be way off. I would guess closer to 50 million iPads worldwide. I'm sure Apple has tinkered with the idea but more goes into the game system than just the console. Think Xbox live and playstation network. Plus I think most would keep their brand or game system for reasons of backward compatible games that they have bought over the years.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with zphone....aint gonna happen. Apple doesn't enter markets full of competitor, it likes to create them. It will either do it on idevices or it won't do it. And the market for games on those devices is big too. I don't think the world needs another consoles.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually Apple tried making a video game console but failed. Although I think that it would be a good idea for Apple to allow apps (meaning primarily games), to run on the AppleTV while using an iDevice as a controller.

Sent from K48

reni90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the new ipad could be used as a consol. Tomething like it has the hadrware like an xbox360 or ps3 or beter

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the iPad could run some incredible games just as it is. If anyone remembers the old Commodore 64 game "Elite" just imagine being able to use the accelerometers to steer your spacecraft, with your thrusters and retro-rockets controlled by your thumbs, while watching your progress on the screen, then using the keyboard to do your trading etc. the possibilities are endless if someone was to set their mind to it.

If such a game was possible on the old 8-bit computers, a version for the iPad would be mind-blowing. I, for one, would pay big bucks if it was done properly.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

CindyBiSV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wbeasleyatsmu; said:
With the idea of cloud gaming linking your tablet to your console and Apple having such a big name in the technology game I must ask again, why no game console for apple?

Sorry to bump up this old thread.

A startup called Audojo is working on a case to transform iPad into game console, and below is from their website: We are creating an iPad case for gamers who want the tactile feedback that they can only get from real analog joysticks and physical buttons. The case also has front-facing stereo speakers to create a more immersive gaming and video watching experience.

There's a company Ouya that's making a game console for Android, and another company Wikipad that's making a new android tablet with a game case. But all of these are not yet on the market yet.

I actually saw Duo Gamer in apple store when checking out iPad mini a couple of weeks ago, but the game options are too limited (only 4 games I think).

Most reactions

Latest posts