What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Jobs Flash explanation doesn't make sense

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But is the audio lagging a lot for you on videos? The videos are choppy as well, but I guess I can deal with that. The audio makes them unwatchable IMO.. Its not just a little behind

Yes, sound does lag video. But you can adjust how you see and then how you hear it. I found it worse with a slow wifi. I went Starbucks earlier this afternoon, there were a lot of people in the store using their wifi service, it was really bad. I have not tried it with 3G.

BUT for non-video viewing where flash is required to view content, Puffin works really well. Earlier I gave an example of the view-ability of the Motorola website. In the past, I would have waited to get to a pc to view this website. Now, with Puffin, I can see what I'm missing. It is faster to launch Puffin than launching a pc only to find out it wasn't worth bothering.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seadog said:
I wonder why the Motorola site uses Flash?;) All I have heard from the Flash crowd is that there are no excuse acceptable for Apple to deny their addiction to Flash. The is one very simple reason. APPLE DOES NOT WANT TO SUPPORT FLASH! If you want it, they are not stopping you from going elsewhere. Apple does not need to answer to anyone that wants Flash. You, the customer, makes your choice. If it is important to you, ignore iOS devices. If you buy an iPad or iPhone, you have decided it is not important enough. If you are whining about a product you have bought, then you did not do your research enough. If you are whining about the iPads and have not bought one, you are acting like a troll.

The is no reason for the number of pages spent on this subject. Why not complain that MS Office is not on the iPad? But then you would have to gripe to Microsoft. Too many people want to just gripe because the world is not perfect. There will always be limitations in hardware and software, compounded by the limitations in operator skills.

Word.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Yes, eleven pages is a lot. But there is value here. @ least three people ended up buying Puffin app because this thread talked about it as an alternative or a work around. This demonstrates the value of this forum....if you stick around long enough you'll discover how useful the iPad can be. Yup, there is an app for that!

Reaction score
About 10 and a half pages of fanboyism could have been cut out and Jobs still would have gotten his cut of me buying Puffin. :)

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
About 10 and a half pages of fanboyism could have been cut out and Jobs still would have gotten his cut of me buying Puffin. :)

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

LOL! Yes, there was a lot of dross to get to the grain! But sometimes, when surfing through a long thread like this, you can always skip the postings from the usual and predictable posters and then find something of value and that makes it worthwhile.

Reaction score
I'm a relative newb here, don't know who does what yet. I know Tim from Scotland and Idontunderstandmyipad have been very helpful but that's about it

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

OP
R

romanr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Again it happens daily but here is today's example. No way to get to the meat of this article, the pics. And of course the Apple fanboys will tell you no one is using Flash anymore and if they are, you didn't really need to see it.

9Ah4jH

9Ah4mZ

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can someone lists of the popular websites which uses Flash and doesn't work on iPad?

I know Google doc doesn't work in Safari. Is it due to Flash?

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
MattIM said:
...me too. Based on this thread, I did buy Puffin app. I have been playing with it now since earlier this morning-->in between chores :).

There is a little lag time when viewing websites with videos. BUT no problem seeing any website now. For example, with Puffin, I can actually launch Motorola's website that extols all the virtues of going Android via the Xoom tablet. Before Puffin purchase, that website told me I didn't have the latest version of Adobe Flash and invited me to download it.

This is what I get in Safari:

This is what I get in Puffin:

sold :)

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
MattIM said:
...me too. Based on this thread, I did buy Puffin app. I have been playing with it now since earlier this morning-->in between chores :).

There is a little lag time when viewing websites with videos. BUT no problem seeing any website now. For example, with Puffin, I can actually launch Motorola's website that extols all the virtues of going Android via the Xoom tablet. Before Puffin purchase, that website told me I didn't have the latest version of Adobe Flash and invited me to download it.

This is what I get in Safari:

This is what I get in Puffin:

From a purely design perspective, I wonder if the use of Flash was really necessary to create that webpage... It's not a Flash bashing comment, but a critic on the technology used to display their products. All of this can be done using HTML and Ajax/JavaScript... I just hate the overuse of Flash on some websites (not related to the iPad, same feeling goes on the PC)... I've navigated the site on my PC and essentially, it's just a fancy way to display product information... No special animations, no sound, no movies... Just plain text and pictures... Overall, they are using Flash as a basic webpage browser, inside my browser. Does not make any sense on the design level.

Flash is amazing for games, specific navigation, simulations, media broadcasting... But when used in this way, it's a pain.

VicoPad addict!

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice explanation. This makes real sense. Does Puffin work for the games, specific navigation, simulations, or media broadcasting you listed?

IDK why people are all pro Puffin. Its absolutely horrible. It cannot even play a flash video without stuttering horribly. iSwifter is a lot better at playing video, but its interface is horrible.

Maybe part of the reason the people think flash is so horrible is that they only have these REALLY crappy apps to deal with flash content.

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mobi1 said:
Can someone lists of the popular websites which uses Flash and doesn't work on iPad?

I know Google doc doesn't work in Safari. Is it due to Flash?

I think Google Docs does work, but its basically just a notepad. I don't think you can even bold text in the mobile version. It's not because of Flash though.. I'm not sure why it is. Safari on the iPad is pretty robust, so it should display any non-Flash website without issue. The only website other than Docs that I've had a problem with is the part of my school's (Penn State) website where you get lecture material and check grades.

If you don't include YouTube, I'd say about 75% don't work. Other times, a website will have HTML5 videos available, but they are often embedded into a page as Flash. An example of this that I often run into is MSNBC videos posted on the Huffington Post. Being able to play a non-YouTube video in HTML5 is the exception rather than the rule. Every TV episode on the internet is in Flash, in my experience at least. Live streaming video is always in Flash. You can get streaming Al Jazeera and NHK World as iPhone apps if you like the news and CNN has live video on their iPad app, but it's generally press conferences and debates on the House floor (CSPAN basically). Sometimes the site will have an app that has video, but it's pretty worthless to me because I'm not about to go out of Safari, into the app, and then search for the video I'm trying to play.

What kind of sites are you trying to go to? News, comedy, etc? It's very rare for a website itself to not work. Flash interfaces are pretty much a thing of the past, and although many "product" websites are built in Flash (car manufacturers, Gucci I think, etc), most will have a mobile website or something. I was looking for cars the other day though and the photos wouldn't work because they were in Flash so you can change the color and stuff. Still, I'm kind of surprised that Puffin was so popular because it really only works for interfaces. It's likely that the only problem you'll have is with videos.

If you're unsure, you can right click on the part of a page you may think is in Flash and it will come up with "Adobe Flash settings..." or something. That doesn't necessarily mean that you won't be able to play it though, because I think even YouTube videos use Flash by default. If it is part of the interface, you won't be able to see that part of the site unless they have a mobile site or app.

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My understanding of the situation is that all web sites are built with either XTML or HTML4. HTML5 uses the best features of both, but includes video components. Future video streaming is expected to require one of two formats; H.264 which is controlled by a consortium led by Apple. They have promised that it will be an open standard, but Google says they lie. Google is promoting their open source standard, WebM. Google will not support H.364, but an app is in the works for iOS to use WebM. YouTube has converted 95% of the most popular video to the WebM format.

BTW, I think WebM requires HTML5, just like H.264.

Most reactions