What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Jobs Flash explanation doesn't make sense

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mtnmedic said:
Yep. Reminds me of that Robot Chicken Zune Man sketch (I'm a Zune lover so don't hate on me, Zune lovers!)...

Steve Jobs: "Who are YOU?"

Zune Man: "I'm ZUNE!"

Steve Jobs: (short laugh) "What a terrible design."

Zune Man: (kneeling in front of Jobs, who is holding a loaded pistol): "Make it quick."

Steve Jobs: "I don't want to waste the bullet." Then walks away.

Zune Man: "Please....don't leave me like this! NOOOOooooooooo"

Boy, walking with his dad as they pass by Zune Man in his moment of despair: "Dad, what's that?"

Man: "Well...I think it's a pager."

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Haaaaaaaaaa ! You crack me up

Sent from my Blackberry...nah...just kidding

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
Apple has always been the one who will make the leap of faith. They and almost every expert out there knows that Flash is the past, not the future. And like many times in the past, Apple has dropped support for outdated technology. The result is other manufacturers have to work to move forwarded. The sites that use Flash have been making the move to HTML5 ten times as fast as they would have without the iPad and iPhone. Every day, more and more sites are dumping or allowing alternatives to Flash.

Just think, in five years, children will be asking, "Daddy, what is Flash?".

Yep. Reminds me of that Robot Chicken Zune Man sketch (I'm a Zune lover so don't hate on me, Zune lovers!)...

Steve Jobs: "Who are YOU?"

Zune Man: "I'm ZUNE!"

Steve Jobs: (short laugh) "What a terrible design."

Zune Man: (kneeling in front of Jobs, who is holding a loaded pistol): "Make it quick."

Steve Jobs: "I don't want to waste the bullet." Then walks away.

Zune Man: "Please....don't leave me like this! NOOOOooooooooo"

Boy, walking with his dad as they pass by Zune Man in his moment of despair: "Dad, what's that?"

Man: "Well...I think it's a pager."

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

You are a nut!:)

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But he's our nut ...

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From some news acounts they say the problems with the release of the RIM PlayBook being delayed is the difficulty getting Flash to work properly. The delay from the original release date is adding to RIM’s woes.
Reasoning for this: First, other tablet makers have had trouble with Flash. Motorola’s Xoom launched without it, despite the fact that Motorola highlighted Flash support as a key feature. Even though Player 10.2 is now available in the Android Market, the version meant for Android 3.0 Honeycomb (which the Xoom runs) is a prerelease version with lots of bugs. Second, sluggish performance and battery drainage have been problems for Flash before, and they’re the reason Steve Jobs said no. The Samsung Galaxy Tab, which runs an earlier version of Android, is the only major tablet that currently supports a shipping version of the Adobe plugin.
Finally, those who tried the PlayBook reported that Flash performance proved to be a “choppy and limiting experience.” RIM officials at the time were tight-lipped about the tablet’s expected battery life, saying only that it would be more than an hour. That was an early version of the tablet, but choppiness in one of its key features doesn’t bode well.
Without great Flash support, the PlayBook experience is very limited. Last year RIM hyped Flash support for the upcoming PlayBook, saying that it was going to deliver the full internet experience. That would, in theory, give the PlayBook an edge over the iPad. However, if they cannot produce a great experience with Flash, it will be a disaster for them.

spacer.gif

Last edited:

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hook up to you PC from the iPad with a VNC, play a flash game ignoring lag.... How did you control it without keyboard keys?

Forgetting the issues of crashes and performance, all else working, there are some Flash things that won't work well in a mulittouch environment without something extra.

It's not quite a dead horse. Still an issue for the K-12 Ed world.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kevbo said:
SD slots and USB ports are hardware. Flash is software. It wouldn't cost any money to Apple for Adobe to develop Flash for iOS; they just have to *not* disallow it.

Wrong. If Safari crashes users aren't going to blame Adobe - they're going to blame Apple. If Flash makes iOS unstable the user isn't going to blame Adobe, they're going to blame Apple. Allowing seriously flakey software, particularly something that isn't directly run by the user, hurts Apple directly.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Catfiend said:
Wrong. If Safari crashes users aren't going to blame Adobe - they're going to blame Apple. If Flash makes iOS unstable the user isn't going to blame Adobe, they're going to blame Apple. Allowing seriously flakey software, particularly something that isn't directly run by the user, hurts Apple directly.

Absolutely correct.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GhostWalker said:
lmfao..good one. the arguments will never end though!

Yeah I cracked up when I saw that pic. It's not just some dude whipping a dead horse. It's some dapper, I'll-never-get-my-fancy-duds-dirty-in-this-argument dude.

OP
R

romanr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me it's not video for the most part. It's not games either. It's flash apps like my just released webmail from Cox.com and many other apps like it. I don't get everyones suggestion that I take my iPad back. I love my iPad in everyway except in how it keeps me from accessing a good part of the web's best content. Can a consumer not engage in a little winning? BTW, prior to buying my iPad I did infact know about the lack of Flash support. But what I didn't know was how prolific Flash was. On my PC, I didn't care about what platform a website used for it's content. I just knew it worked. Now my iPad is constantly displaying "stop signs" which let me know that Flash is everywhere.

I've been a PC guy for a very long time, going back to Windows 3.1 and DOS before that. Frankly I did't get the whole Apple thing. The iPad is my first introduction and I'm hooked. But that doesn't mean I now worship at the Jobs alter and follow blindly with whatever he says. Like it or not, a good chunk of web developers followed the Flash wave and to cut support at this time is plain stupid.

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
romanr said:
For me it's not video for the most part. It's not games either. It's flash apps like my just released webmail from Cox.com and many other apps like it. I don't get everyones suggestion that I take my iPad back. I love my iPad in everyway except in how it keeps me from accessing a good part of the web's best content. Can a consumer not engage in a little winning? BTW, prior to buying my iPad I did infact know about the lack of Flash support. But what I didn't know was how prolific Flash was. On my PC, I didn't care about what platform a website used for it's content. I just knew it worked. Now my iPad is constantly displaying "stop signs" which let me know that Flash is everywhere.

I've been a PC guy for a very long time, going back to Windows 3.1 and DOS before that. Frankly I did't get the whole Apple thing. The iPad is my first introduction and I'm hooked. But that doesn't mean I now worship at the Jobs alter and follow blindly with whatever he says. Like it or not, a good chunk of web developers followed the Flash wave and to cut support at this time is plain stupid.

I can't agree more. They have their selfish reason for not even takeing flash into consideration.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
While said:
I can't agree more. They have their selfish reason for not even takeing flash into consideration.

Just because Apple isn't doing things the way everyone else is doing it doesn't make them "selfish". Calling Apple selfish indicates a sense of entitlement. Nobody's entitled to ANYTHING from Apple, other than reasonably ethical treatment from their staff (that is, no bias against color, race, sex, creed, religion, etc.). That's it. You either like their product and buy it or you don't like it and take your money elsewhere.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
puffin flash browser is working great right now. the new updates have speeded it up comsdierably. plays all flash content and streams the audio also. check it out op, THATS YOUR WORKAROUND ;-) its in the app store.

But you have to be JB, right?

No, puffin is available in the app store. its a web browser that allows u to view most, if not all, flash websites and videos. works perfectly. at first puffin sucked and iswifter app was the go to for flash but now it has flipped. now iswifter sux and puffin browser, with its new update, wrks perfectly for viewimg/playing flash content.

You are so smart! Thank You!

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look folks, Flash is a FEATURE. iPad lacks that feature (frankly it doesn't NEED it and it's better off without it). Just like it lacks the feature of a USB port. Or an SD card slot. SO. FRIGGIN'. WHAT.

If you don't like that the iPad doesn't have these features and/or others, then take it back and get a Xoom, a Playbook, a Galaxy Tab or wait for some vaporware and quit yer bellyachin'. THAT'S the choice you get. Why settle for less than what you want? Apple is not required to put Flash in because YOU and a million other people want it. It's THEIR product and they'll put features in according to their own research for product effectiveness and efficiency as well as that brought on by customers' suggestions.

I, for one, DO wish Apple would make a Flash-enabled iPad...JUST ONE...without any other changes to the device, to prove to the world once and for all that Flash will have a negative effect on two of the iPad's biggest success points: performance and battery life. And put this whole, stupid Flash argument to REST.

Hear, hear!

Well said!

Most reactions

Latest posts