Why Jobs Flash explanation doesn't make sense

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by romanr, Apr 7, 2011.

1. romanr

romanr iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Every single day I'm reminded of why my iPad falls short of giving me the experience I deserve as a customer. Jobs says that there is no need for Flash anyways since you can access most of your content without it. Well, like I said, I could send Steve Jobs a daily list of places I'm prevented from going because of the lack of Flash. Am I just unlucky or is this the experience of most iPad users? And when I said daily encounters I mean, new websites I try to interact with which prevent me from experiencing their whole offering. There is no work around or App to make these work. If you add to my list the number of compromise (and often disappointing) solutions offered by various Apps to access Flash content then the number of items on the list just grows exponentially. It's such an easy fix (Apple, help Adobe deliver a good IOS Flash solution). Instead, Steve tells us to eat cake. I really just don't get it.

Alright, done with my rant. BTW, this is what prompted my post.
    http://marionso.com/flash.php Again, not an isolated incident but a daily occurrence in my web interactions.
  2. romanr

romanr iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If Flash was ever offered on IOS, Does Steve Jobs think there would be a single person who would opt not to install it for the so called shortcomings he speaks of? That alone should tell you something. Give us a choice and let us speak with our actions. I don't care if they put a 10 page disclaimer you would have to read through before being allowed to explain. I would go through all 10 pages and say YES please!
  3. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
  4. snoitan

snoitan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm rather on the fence about it. It's not uncommon for Flash to crash my Chrome browser on my desktop, so I can see where they are coming from in terms of providing a more bug-free experience.

I also think the Internet is a much better place because the iPad and iPhone don't support Flash. It pressures people to move off Flash, which is a good thing.

But I do get irritated when I can't see something because of the restriction.
  5. gray_mouse

gray_mouse iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Flash and Java is competition to AppStore and iTunes. No more, no less.

Jobs and Apple is not answer to 1984, it is 1984. Answer to 1984 is PC and Linux.
  6. Catfiend

Catfiend iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The last time I checked Apple was doing just that with iOS devices - your choice of using their device or someone else's. That tells me that they're willing to bet quite a lot on the LACK of need for Flash since they obviously won't sell many devices if Flash is that important.
  7. TheX

TheX iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    As a web developer I can tell you I don't miss flash. And honestly flash is going to get pushed away eventually with the implementation of HTMl5 and I think adobe realizes that with the release of Wallaby.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  8. ICEHITMAN

ICEHITMAN iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sometimes I'm glad iPad 2 doesn't do flash, doesn't it take up lots of memory and slow down devices? Also, doesn't flash somehow support pop-up windows?
  9. Somerled

Somerled iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    [​IMG]
  10. TheX

TheX iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    This too

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  11. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Jobs explanation made sense, though the iPad1 didn't have the hardware to run it smoothly.
    He also said the public would decide by buying the iPad or not.
    2.6 million ipad2's sold in the first month with supply ramping up to 4 million a month...

Flog that horse harder it's obviously sleeping on the job!
  12. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    I should add that it interesting that Adobe is looking at creating a Photoshop app.
    Looks like they need Apple more than Apple needs them.
  13. romanr

romanr iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So I guess I am alone in running into everyday scenarious where lack of Flash is an issue without a workaround. The thing is that not letting me access the content just puts me back @ my PC so I can go to that particular site. I would rather spend more time on my iPad rather than go back and forth. Or do the rest of you just say, "screw it, I didn't need to go there anyways?" That's just not an option for me but maybe I'm just unlucky.
  14. romanr

romanr iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My only point:
    Jobs: "Flash is no longer necessary to watch video or consume any kind of web content"

My day to day experiences say otherwise. And yes, the technology is out there for these developers to re-do their content in an open platform but the truth is that too many are not. Yes, they will eventually but right now the handicap is widespread. I can call the Sherrif's office and complain that I can't access their information because they are using Flash and I'm sure they won't care and will make a change away from Flash when they are good and ready. In the meantime, it's back to my PC to access Flash content.
  15. ipaduser434

ipaduser434 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I guess if you were unaware of Apple's position on Flash before you purchased your iPad, then you have good reason to return it and ask for a refund.

If folks are aware that Flash is not supported, then I don't understand why they attack Apple or Jobs post-purchase. It's like buying a car that's red, then complaining about the color once it's in your garage.

I personally like life without Flash; it's caused a lot of problems on my home and office PCs so I don't miss it at all on my iPad.
  16. Godfather4190

Godfather4190 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you!
  17. Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    There is an app called Skyfire that supposedly allows the iPad to use Flash. I have not had a chance to look into this yet so I don't know how well it works. But it's an option worth considering. You might want to look it up on Youtube and see if there's any reviews for it.
  18. Catfiend

Catfiend iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Could be unlucky. I don't NEED to go to any websites on my iPad - it's a luxury, not something I need in order to do my job. I honestly find very few that have content that I might care about that requires Flash. Likely we're just looking for different types of websites. I'm not much of a random surfer - I mostly visit a set of maybe thirty or forty websites fairly regularly.

On a related note, yesterday my wife asked me to check out a website that brought her computer to its knees. Oddly, it was pretty snappy on my iPad. You guessed it, there was some bizarre and completely superfluous Flash junk going on. She was able to do everything that she needed on. The website from the iPad where she couldn't do much of anything from her laptop. She's now considering a Flash blocker like I've been using for a year.
  19. kevbo

kevbo iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's not just you. Whenever I want to go on th Huffington Post, I just browse from my Droid X, because most articles are accompanied by a video of some sort, and most are Flash. They aggregate videos from other sites, so it's not just one. I also can't watch the Daily Show, the Colbert Report, go to HBO.com, watch the WhiteHouse.gov live streams, or any live streams for that matter. With the exception of YouTube, sites that use HTML5 are in the minority in my experience. The idea that we should accept the iPad as perfect because we bought it is disingenuous. It is the best tablet out there, but Flash is necessary for a full browsing experience. It's just upsetting to me that it isn't even allowed because Steve Jobs doesn't like it.

On the other hand, I think I understand Apple's line of thinking. If it was developed by Adobe and wasn't very good, then the iPad would be seen as less than perfect. It's true, Flash isn't perfect on Android. It's not as seamless as playing video that it natively supports and the buttons are sometimes too small to touch (although this wouldn't be a problem on the iPad). Someone who wasn't familiar with technology might blame the iPad for it's mediocre performance. This would probably only be a problem on the iPad 1 as the iPad 2 is more than powerful enough to support it without issue.

I think Adobe should develop it and put it on Cydia. I would love to see Steve's face when he heard that. Half the world would start jailbreaking.
  20. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Look folks, Flash is a FEATURE. iPad lacks that feature (frankly it doesn't NEED it and it's better off without it). Just like it lacks the feature of a USB port. Or an SD card slot. SO. FRIGGIN'. WHAT.

If you don't like that the iPad doesn't have these features and/or others, then take it back and get a Xoom, a Playbook, a Galaxy Tab or wait for some vaporware and quit yer bellyachin'. THAT'S the choice you get. Why settle for less than what you want? Apple is not required to put Flash in because YOU and a million other people want it. It's THEIR product and they'll put features in according to their own research for product effectiveness and efficiency as well as that brought on by customers' suggestions.

I, for one, DO wish Apple would make a Flash-enabled iPad...JUST ONE...without any other changes to the device, to prove to the world once and for all that Flash will have a negative effect on two of the iPad's biggest success points: performance and battery life. And put this whole, stupid Flash argument to REST.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF