Why Jobs Flash explanation doesn't make sense

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by romanr, Apr 7, 2011.

1. romanr

romanr iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Every single day I'm reminded of why my iPad falls short of giving me the experience I deserve as a customer. Jobs says that there is no need for Flash anyways since you can access most of your content without it. Well, like I said, I could send Steve Jobs a daily list of places I'm prevented from going because of the lack of Flash. Am I just unlucky or is this the experience of most iPad users? And when I said daily encounters I mean, new websites I try to interact with which prevent me from experiencing their whole offering. There is no work around or App to make these work. If you add to my list the number of compromise (and often disappointing) solutions offered by various Apps to access Flash content then the number of items on the list just grows exponentially. It's such an easy fix (Apple, help Adobe deliver a good IOS Flash solution). Instead, Steve tells us to eat cake. I really just don't get it.

Alright, done with my rant. BTW, this is what prompted my post.
    http://marionso.com/flash.php Again, not an isolated incident but a daily occurrence in my web interactions.

2. romanr

romanr iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If Flash was ever offered on IOS, Does Steve Jobs think there would be a single person who would opt not to install it for the so called shortcomings he speaks of? That alone should tell you something. Give us a choice and let us speak with our actions. I don't care if they put a 10 page disclaimer you would have to read through before being allowed to explain. I would go through all 10 pages and say YES please!

3. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 1
  4. snoitan

snoitan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm rather on the fence about it. It's not uncommon for Flash to crash my Chrome browser on my desktop, so I can see where they are coming from in terms of providing a more bug-free experience.

I also think the Internet is a much better place because the iPad and iPhone don't support Flash. It pressures people to move off Flash, which is a good thing.

But I do get irritated when I can't see something because of the restriction.

5. gray_mouse

gray_mouse iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Flash and Java is competition to AppStore and iTunes. No more, no less.

Jobs and Apple is not answer to 1984, it is 1984. Answer to 1984 is PC and Linux.

6. Catfiend

Catfiend iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The last time I checked Apple was doing just that with iOS devices - your choice of using their device or someone else's. That tells me that they're willing to bet quite a lot on the LACK of need for Flash since they obviously won't sell many devices if Flash is that important.

7. TheX

TheX iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    As a web developer I can tell you I don't miss flash. And honestly flash is going to get pushed away eventually with the implementation of HTMl5 and I think adobe realizes that with the release of Wallaby.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

8. ICEHITMAN

ICEHITMAN iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sometimes I'm glad iPad 2 doesn't do flash, doesn't it take up lots of memory and slow down devices? Also, doesn't flash somehow support pop-up windows?

9. Somerled

Somerled iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    [​IMG]

10. TheX

TheX iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    This too

Sent from my iPad using iPF

11. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Jobs explanation made sense, though the iPad1 didn't have the hardware to run it smoothly.
    He also said the public would decide by buying the iPad or not.
    2.6 million ipad2's sold in the first month with supply ramping up to 4 million a month...

Flog that horse harder it's obviously sleeping on the job!

12. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    I should add that it interesting that Adobe is looking at creating a Photoshop app.
    Looks like they need Apple more than Apple needs them.

13. romanr

romanr iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So I guess I am alone in running into everyday scenarious where lack of Flash is an issue without a workaround. The thing is that not letting me access the content just puts me back @ my PC so I can go to that particular site. I would rather spend more time on my iPad rather than go back and forth. Or do the rest of you just say, "screw it, I didn't need to go there anyways?" That's just not an option for me but maybe I'm just unlucky.

14. romanr

romanr iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My only point:
    Jobs: "Flash is no longer necessary to watch video or consume any kind of web content"

My day to day experiences say otherwise. And yes, the technology is out there for these developers to re-do their content in an open platform but the truth is that too many are not. Yes, they will eventually but right now the handicap is widespread. I can call the Sherrif's office and complain that I can't access their information because they are using Flash and I'm sure they won't care and will make a change away from Flash when they are good and ready. In the meantime, it's back to my PC to access Flash content.

15. ipaduser434

ipaduser434 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I guess if you were unaware of Apple's position on Flash before you purchased your iPad, then you have good reason to return it and ask for a refund.

If folks are aware that Flash is not supported, then I don't understand why they attack Apple or Jobs post-purchase. It's like buying a car that's red, then complaining about the color once it's in your garage.

I personally like life without Flash; it's caused a lot of problems on my home and office PCs so I don't miss it at all on my iPad.