Why Jobs Flash explanation doesn't make sense

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by romanr, Apr 7, 2011.

1. romanr

romanr
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Every single day I'm reminded of why my iPad falls short of giving me the experience I deserve as a customer. Jobs says that there is no need for Flash anyways since you can access most of your content without it. Well, like I said, I could send Steve Jobs a daily list of places I'm prevented from going because of the lack of Flash. Am I just unlucky or is this the experience of most iPad users? And when I said daily encounters I mean, new websites I try to interact with which prevent me from experiencing their whole offering. There is no work around or App to make these work. If you add to my list the number of compromise (and often disappointing) solutions offered by various Apps to access Flash content then the number of items on the list just grows exponentially. It's such an easy fix (Apple, help Adobe deliver a good IOS Flash solution). Instead, Steve tells us to eat cake. I really just don't get it.

Alright, done with my rant. BTW, this is what prompted my post.
    http://marionso.com/flash.php Again, not an isolated incident but a daily occurrence in my web interactions.

2. romanr

romanr
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    If Flash was ever offered on IOS, Does Steve Jobs think there would be a single person who would opt not to install it for the so called shortcomings he speaks of? That alone should tell you something. Give us a choice and let us speak with our actions. I don't care if they put a 10 page disclaimer you would have to read through before being allowed to explain. I would go through all 10 pages and say YES please!

3. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
  4. snoitan

snoitan
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm rather on the fence about it. It's not uncommon for Flash to crash my Chrome browser on my desktop, so I can see where they are coming from in terms of providing a more bug-free experience.

I also think the Internet is a much better place because the iPad and iPhone don't support Flash. It pressures people to move off Flash, which is a good thing.

But I do get irritated when I can't see something because of the restriction.

5. gray_mouse

gray_mouse
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Flash and Java is competition to AppStore and iTunes. No more, no less.

Jobs and Apple is not answer to 1984, it is 1984. Answer to 1984 is PC and Linux.

6. Catfiend

Catfiend
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    The last time I checked Apple was doing just that with iOS devices - your choice of using their device or someone else's. That tells me that they're willing to bet quite a lot on the LACK of need for Flash since they obviously won't sell many devices if Flash is that important.

7. TheX

TheX
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    As a web developer I can tell you I don't miss flash. And honestly flash is going to get pushed away eventually with the implementation of HTMl5 and I think adobe realizes that with the release of Wallaby.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

8. ICEHITMAN

ICEHITMAN
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Sometimes I'm glad iPad 2 doesn't do flash, doesn't it take up lots of memory and slow down devices? Also, doesn't flash somehow support pop-up windows?

9. Somerled

Somerled
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
  10. TheX

TheX
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    This too

Sent from my iPad using iPF