What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHY is the lack of Flash your biggest annoyance?

WHY is Flash your biggest annoyance?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I accommodated your request andlisted just a few of the sites that I use at least on a weekly basis that use Flash. There are more, but I'm not going to waste my time listing every site I've used that doesn't fully function or forces me to use an alternative site.

Digikid: HTML5 may be "the future" but guess what? I don't have a time machine, so I'm living in the present, not in the future, and right now there are many sites that I can't access on the iPad because it's not the future yet, it's now. If Apple wants to hold a stupid grudge against Adobe for eternity, they have every right to do so, but at least some of their customers are not happy about it.

Like I said, the lack of Flash isn't my biggest annoyance, but it is one reason that Apple has lost at least one customer (me) who would have probably bought the iPad 2. Instead I will be buying an Android based tablet and enjoying the COMPLETE web as well as a much nicer and customizable user interface. I'm sure I'm not the only iPad owner who will be making the switch in a few months.

David Vice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The flash support is an annoyance ...for simple tiny reasons. I was trying to upload a picture to a blogging website and there was no way to do it. I touch the upload image button and nothing happens. I mean it's not that important I still love this thing, but it's the little things that become a nuisance and as said before limit your web browsing experience.

Good iPaddin :ipad-keyboard:

David Vice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was also thinking if I seriously made a mistake in buying the iPad. Instead of waiting for what android had to offer. But I dont think that android will pull off something better than the iPad so far as design, touch interface, and performance go.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would be VERY easy for Apple to implement something into Safari like I have enabled on my notebook's Firefox similar to "Flash Block." This allows me to conserve battery life by not displaying Flash content. But what it does do is give me a little icon that I simply click if I do want to view that particular content.

This way Apple could maintain it's battery life claims. If you want to view Flash content your battery life may vary. Simple enough. But it won't happen because Steve Jobs is holding an elementary school style grudge.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was also thinking if I seriously made a mistake in buying the iPad. Instead of waiting for what android had to offer. But I dont think that android will pull off something better than the iPad so far as design, touch interface, and performance go.

Ummmmm, you sure about that? Check any site that has covered this year's Consumer Electronics Show. The Android 3.0 based tablets being released in March/April are much more powerful than the iPad, have a more functional design (admittedly not as pretty in most cases) and the interface on them is MUCH better.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I initially voted that lack of Flash was my biggest annoyance, but it is not the case with me anymore. I have found it does not matter like I thought. I use my desktop at home just as often, so it really ended up not mattering to me. But it has to do with my own personal use, and for others I can see their point. But yeah-we all know people got iPad knowing this. I knew it too, but had initially voted it anyway just because it was a WISH more than anything.
It's interesting to see a balanced viewpoint. This is an iPad forum, so I would expect people to mostly wax poetic about it. I am reading in this thread alone however absolute frustration, but the iPad still holds the interest if people are still taking the time to peruse the forum and post even if they are annoyed at the iPad specs for X,Y, or Z problem. But I get the OP's intent-OP just seemed to want to know specifics.

Last edited:

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
HTML5 is the future anyways. More secure, faster and MUCH less power hungry.

Wireless 4G is "the future" and yet I think we'd hear a bit of squawking if the iPad had been released with a wireless service 90% of their customers couldn't use for a year or two. As the saying goes "Live in the now, man..."

As far as HTML5 - if it turns out that HTML5 lets you play games and videos you'd normally have to pay to access via iTunes, don't be surprised if Steve decides that's the next Great Evil of the internet. ;)

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
I see no need for flash native to the Ipad. If I want to view flash, I simply use my remote desktop app, everyair, and I am golden.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Freebird has a good solution! okay, so it's a workaround, but it's a solution nonetheless. And clearly Flash not a deal breaker for vast amounts of people who have gone on to get the iPad anyway. Wonder what a poll would look like asking how many people did NOT purchase iPad because of lack of native Flash. But wrong place to ask on an iPad forum! But clearly, the Flash debate is not a deterrent for the iPad owner masses out there.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
remote desktop apps are amazing. Everyair is the best one ive used. it takes a little fanagalling to stream sound properly, but its the fastest by far xD. I play World of Warcraft on my Ipad Via Everyair. its phenominal!

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes remote desktop apps are a decent solution, but mainly when you are at home. Most residential ISPs have upload speeds much too low for this to be a good all around solution. When I am at home I can watch Hulu or other Flash sites through a remote connection and for the most part it is acceptable. If I am away from home, remoting into my machine is a much, much slower experience and not an acceptable solution.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
I watch stuff from my home PC when i am out and about and sometiems even states away and I dont have an issue really. -shrug- might just be lucky

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I watch stuff from my home PC when i am out and about and sometiems even states away and I dont have an issue really. -shrug- might just be lucky

But that requires you to leave your home PC on all the time. I turn mine off when I'm not using it or downloading something. Our electric bill is already painful enough, I'm not going to add more to it just so I can access Flash content from my iPad while I'm away from home. I would rather just have a tablet that runs Flash natively. Motorola Xoom in late February! Woohoo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions