What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is OS upgrade complete OS?

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why does Apple persist in downloading the complete OS when it wishes to distribute an upgrade? Other software producers simply download a patch.

My Internet data allocation is 17 GB/mth. I am not one of the fortunate whose employer supplies them with unlimited data. Should I exceed my allocation, my ISP charges exorbitantly for additional data allowance, so I keep a close eye on my usage during the month. Apple sending me 2 GB of OS instead of a few MB of patch can blow a substantial hole in the data I can use for the things that are more urgent.
Daily Data Usage.png

See what I mean?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Why does Apple persist in downloading the complete OS when it wishes to distribute an upgrade? Other software producers simply download a patch.

My Internet data allocation is 17 GB/mth. I am not one of the fortunate whose employer supplies them with unlimited data. Should I exceed my allocation, my ISP charges exorbitantly for additional data allowance, so I keep a close eye on my usage during the month. Apple sending me 2 GB of OS instead of a few MB of patch can blow a substantial hole in the data I can use for the things that are more urgent.View attachment 80392

Hi Expatriate - there are a number of options to lessen your DL burden, but first please provide some more information: 1) How many iOS devices do you own that need to be updated/upgraded (same type?); 2) Do you make these changes OTA (Over the Air) or use a computer w/ iTunes; 3) If you use a computer, what type, i.e. a Mac or PC; and 4) Do you have other Wi-Fi sites available, such as a cafe, restaurant, etc. that may provide free wireless?

As you likely already know, updates/upgrades can be done OTA or cabled to a computer using iTunes - typically, the wireless downloads are smaller in size (more like 'patches') vs. doing the DL cabled. Also, if you have other Wi-Fi sources that do not involve paying your ISP, is that a consideration? Finally, IPSW Firmware Downloads which are large can be used to update/upgrade your device(s) - again, these can be dowloaded to a computer and your device then cabled - if the process can be done using a source other than your ISP, then another option (see the attached pic - I just DL the iPad Air 2 IPSW from the link given). Let us know if any of these suggestions might be of help. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 6.37.16 PM.png

OP
Expatriate

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI giradman

To answer your questions:
1. I only have the one iOS device, an iPad Air model MD785X/A
2. Updates are offered in the iPad and the process takes the thing over for half an hour (when I am wanting to use it) :mad:
3. My PC is Intel QuadCore i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 32 GB RAM, running MS Windows 10 Home on an MSI B75MA-P45 motherboard. It was assembled by Net Solution Computers of Morley, Western Australia, and has a SAMSUNG U28D590D VDU driven by an NVIDIA QUADRO K620 Video Card and RealTek High Definition Audio. I have Windows Defender and Malwarebytes as Anti-virus with Firefox and Skype running in the background.
4. I don't have an alternative WiFi source at the moment, but then I can't pick when the update will come in anyway so there is no way I can arrange to be on someone else's WiFi when I need it :(

Can you be a bit more specific about this iPad Air 2 IPSW and what it does?

Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
1. I only have the one iOS device, an iPad Air model MD785X/A
2. Updates are offered in the iPad and the process takes the thing over for half an hour (when I am wanting to use it)........

Good - just an iPad Air - I have to deal w/ 3 different iDevices, but I do not have a 'cap' on my DL amount and a pretty fast connection. Keep in mind that you do not have to do an update/upgrade immediately, so wait until the time is convenient for you; also, I usually wait a few days anyway to let the 'anxious' updaters exhaust the bandwidth of the Apple servers - ;)

3. My PC is Intel QuadCore i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 32 GB RAM, running MS Windows 10 Home on an MSI B75MA-P45 motherboard. It was assembled by Net Solution Computers of Morley, Western Australia, and has a SAMSUNG U28D590D VDU driven by an NVIDIA QUADRO K620 Video Card and RealTek High Definition Audio. I have Windows Defender and Malwarebytes as Anti-virus with Firefox and Skype running in the background.

Do you have iTunes on your PC and do you backup your iPad OTA and/or cabled to your computer? I use both methods but the OTA option for you may impact your ISP usage? Also, do you have a laptop which might be easily taken elsewhere where a Wi-Fi 'hot spot' would allow you to manage your iPad OTA or do the process cabled to your computer.

4. I don't have an alternative WiFi source at the moment, but then I can't pick when the update will come in anyway so there is no way I can arrange to be on someone else's WiFi when I need it :(

Can you be a bit more specific about this iPad Air 2 IPSW and what it does?

Well, as stated above - if you had a laptop and a Wi-Fi alternative that would not cost you or impact on your ISP's usage allotment, the problem solved. As to the IPSW option, check the link that I provided previously - basically, the 'specific' firmware upgrade/update package can be downloaded to a computer, then an iDevice cabled and the iOS changes made using iTunes. NOW, these IPSWs are device-specific, so if you had two or more of the same device, then one DL only could be used to update/upgrade multiple devices. Dave :)

P.S. A few more questions: 1) Can you increase your DL 'cap' or is the price prohibitive; 2) Assume you have the single ISP provider in your area (believe Western Australia looking at your profile); and 3) Are MiFi Devices/service an option for you (check the link)?

OP
Expatriate

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keep in mind that you do not have to do an update/upgrade immediately, so wait until the time is convenient for you; also, I usually wait a few days anyway to let the 'anxious' updaters exhaust the bandwidth of the Apple servers - ;)
I know you can opt to update later, but when you decide you are going to update (at someone else's expense ;)) how do you conjure up the spectre to get on with it?

Do you have iTunes on your PC and do you backup your iPad OTA and/or cabled to your computer? I use both methods but the OTA option for you may impact your ISP usage? Also, do you have a laptop which might be easily taken elsewhere where a Wi-Fi 'hot spot' would allow you to manage your iPad OTA or do the process cabled to your computer.
Yes, I have iTunes on my PC (12.7.1.14).
My iPad connects to the Internet via my WiFi modem. The modem is USB connected to the PC, but the connection to the iPad is WiFi.
No, I don't have a laptop.

As to the IPSW option, check the link that I provided previously - basically, the 'specific' firmware upgrade/update package can be downloaded to a computer, then an iDevice cabled and the iOS changes made using iTunes.
Apart from recovering a bricked iPad, I don't see that IPSW would be much use to me.

NOW, these IPSWs are device-specific, so if you had two or more of the same device, then one DL only could be used to update/upgrade multiple devices.
I only have the one device to update/upgrade.

P.S. A few more questions: 1) Can you increase your DL 'cap' or is the price prohibitive;
For some reason it appears that in Australia the more data you want the more you pay per unit. My current contract is a balance.

2) Assume you have the single ISP provider in your area (believe Western Australia looking at your profile);
Western Australia is not all that backward - I have an inside toilet! o_O There are a minor host of ISPs available. Some are large, well-known and (supposedly) reputable, others backyard or fly-by-night and you take your chances. The deal I have is acceptable and, normally, quite adequate.

and 3) Are MiFi Devices/service an option for you (check the link)?
My current modem (see link above) seems to be awfully like MiFi.

This issue is not my ISP, nor is it the deal I have with them. The issue is that Apple have a habit of updating/upgrading the iOS by sending the entire iOS rather than a (much smaller) patch. I very much appreciate your efforts to help me cope with the problem caused by Apple's intransigence in this matter, but the solution still seems to be Apple showing some consideration to its faithful and using patches unless absolutely necessary. Isn't it? :confused:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi again - thanks for all of the information in your recent post - appears that you've considered all of the possibilities - the IPSW option would only be useful if you could DL to a computer through another connection that is 'free' to you and then update/upgrade your iPad via iTunes; also valuable if multiple similar iDevices needed to be changed, so agree that this choice is not of any use to you.

Looking over our posts, I guess that my only possible way to reduce your DL size would be to compare an OTA vs. a cabled iTunes route package; again, usually the OTA DL is smaller. And as you likely know, this forum has no connection to Apple, so complaints here 'fall on deaf corporate ears' (word in italics my insertion - :mad:).

Western Australia is not all that backward - I have an inside toilet! o_O There are a minor host of ISPs available. Some are large, well-known and (supposedly) reputable, others backyard or fly-by-night and you take your chances. The deal I have is acceptable and, normally, quite adequate.

Finally, as to the underlined words above, I hope that you did not misconstrue my reference to your locale on the planet as some type of insult; if so, then my apologies. Western Australia is huge as is evident from the map below - and it's largest city Perth is much more populous that mine in Piedmont North Carolina - now, I've never been to Australia but have consumed its wines for nearly 50 years, so do know the geography of the country, and have had some wonderful 'Western Australian' wines, especially from the Margaret River area over the years (would like to try more but just don't reach me on the mid-East Coast, USA). Dave :)
aunewz.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Expatriate

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally, as to the underlined words above, I hope that you did not misconstrue my reference to your locale on the planet as some type of insult; if so, then my apologies. Western Australia is huge as is evident from the map below - and it's largest city Perth is much more populous that mine in Piedmont North Carolina - now, I've never been to Australia but have consumed its wines for nearly 50 years, so do know the geography of the country, and have had some wonderful 'Western Australian' wines, especially from the Margaret River area over the years (would like to try more but just don't reach me on the mid-East Coast, USA).

Hey, Man! No offense taken!
ANZACs are pretty thick-skinned. It is said that would would offend an ANZAC would make an Army Mule blush! :rolleyes:

Putting this "state size" thing in perspective (for people who read this and do not realize) I think this map compendium is pretty close to accurate.
Oz-USA.png

Western Australia is a big (empty) state.

BTW: seeing you're in to wines, try some New Zealand ones. (I don't sign myself Expatriate for nothing. ;))

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hey, Man! No offense taken!
ANZACs are pretty thick-skinned. It is said that would would offend an ANZAC would make an Army Mule blush! :rolleyes:

Putting this "state size" thing in perspective (for people who read this and do not realize) I think this map compendium is pretty close to accurate.
View attachment 80399
Western Australia is a big (empty) state.

BTW: seeing you're in to wines, try some New Zealand ones. (I don't sign myself Expatriate for nothing. ;))

LOL! :D No problem at all! My introduction to New Zealand wines was back in the late 1980s when Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc shipped into my home town - I was smitten from the start and have been on a 'regular diet' of NZ SBlancs ever since - my 'go to' beverage when eating sushi! More recently, sampling the Pinot Noirs - the better ones not yet shipping to my corner of the world. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts