What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is my i pad so slow

carv120222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my iPad for about eight months and am having a very difficult time with it. The main problem is how slow it is. My HTC EVO using 3G service is every bit as fast as, if not faster, than the ipad on a wifi connection. What's the problem here. I find myself using my Android phone at home because it is so much easier to work with. I joined this forum in an attempt to learn some new things and hopefully convince myself to keep the iPad, I'm ready to give it to a school or something and get a new device. This is just the tip of the iceberg as far as my satisfaction level goes, I think it is one of the most over hyped products in recent memory and feel like a complete sucker for buying one, am I wrong?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you are having such a problem with your iPad. I've had mine for over six months and it has totally transformed the way I work. I now use my iPad for about 80% of my day-to-day business and professional activities. I've never had the slightest problem with either WiFi or 3G. You might want to reset your network connections - that can often help - or power recycle the iPad by completely switching it off, rather than simply putting it to sleep.

Tell us about the other problems you are having - you said it's only the tip of the iceberg - because I'm sure we can help in sorting these problems out.

Tim

emelpenni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am glad to have my iPad but mine is very very slow as well. I have had it for about 3 weeks now and I can usually do things between loading pages. I have the AT&T version, what do u have? I don't know how to decide if it is problem with the iPad or AT&T.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am glad to have my iPad but mine is very very slow as well. I have had it for about 3 weeks now and I can usually do things between loading pages. I have the AT&T version, what do u have? I don't know how to decide if it is problem with the iPad or AT&T.

Do you have the same problem on WiFi?

Remember that the AT&T connection can be GPRS, EDGE or 3G. If you're on GPRS - the iPad displays a 'o' symbol - or EDGE - the iPad displays a 'E' symbol, the data rate is very slow - perhaps as low as 56 kbps on GPRS. At that speed, web pages will take a very long time to load. When you're on 3G - the iPad displays '3G' - the data rate is in the megabits per second range. So it's not the iPad's fault, it's the fact that the data rate supplied by AT&T is so slow and not really suitable for surfing the web.

Tim

emelpenni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks this is very helpful, how can at&t change to 3G, it is currently E right now and I have never seen it differently. I can't confirm the speed on WIFI, I haven't had a chance to test that way, I will do so, but my main reason for purchasing the 3G iPad was because I knew I would not be on a wifi connection very often.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The original GSM network - now referred to as 2G - was a voice network. That original network allowed the carrying of data packets at 9.6 kbps. When data became more important during the late 1980s and early 1990s the standard was upgraded and, with some minor equipment modifications, GPRS was introduced. Furtheer modifications to the 2G standard were later introduced with EDGE which used enhanced modulation techniques to further increase the data rate. Both GPRS and EDGE use the original - albeit modified - 2G network and were relative simple changes for the service provider.

The 3G network, however, required a completely new infrastructure - new basestations, new antennas etc - and required a very considerable investment by the service provider. Therefore, many took the decision only to install 3G in urban environments where they perceived the usage would justify the very considerable capital expenditure necessary. Therefore, if your iPad is displaying the 'E' (EDGE) symbol it means that you're currently in an area where AT&T have not installed a 3G network and there is no way that you can move to 3G unless AT&T take the decision to install new equipment there.

Next time you take your iPad to a different, densely populated, urban area you might well see that 'E' symbol change to '3G' and you'll then experience a very considerable improvement in performance. If you live in an EDGE area, then I'm afraid - other than getting WiFi via cable broadband - there's very little you can do about it - other than write to AT&T and see if you can persuade them to install a 3G network.

Tim

Most reactions