What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why I’m Not Getting the iPad 2

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All good reasons. Camera's are the main functional upgrade. The power boost won't be very noticeable for most people who aren't using power hungry apps like iMovie etc.

Camera is a big deal for me as I do a lot of skype, and that's one of the main reasons I never bought an iPad 1 and waited for the new one.

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is fairly new to me (Christmas gift). I did not want it before I got it. Now I am glad I have it. Ergo...since I don't want an iPad2 it can be deduced that I would love to have one. Now try and logic me out of that dedcution. LOL

Seriously...I find my Droid phone more useful than my iPad. Don't get me wrong...I love the iPad when I am in my living room or at work...sometimes. But the Droid is in my pocket everywhere I go, unlike the iPad. When I go fishing, my Droid gets used. When I go alpine hiking the Droid gets used. When I go hunting the Droid gets used. I just don't spend that much time in my living room.

This is not an argument of the iPad vs the Droid. You could make the same argument for the iPhone. It's more about smartphone vs pads. I like the bigness of the iPad, but it makes it less practicle for the on-the-go lifestyle I live.

Therefore...even though I know I would like an iPad2...I just can't make it pencil out on the logic side of things since the iPad does everything I want it to do (or things I never wanted it to do but find cool) and I just don't use it as much as other electronic devices I have. The money will go towards a new smartphone when one finally hits the market that makes me want it more than my Droid.

Nate

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's just like any computer, you have to decide if upgrading for power and speed is necessary for what you do. I do photography, video, and music composition. I loved my iPad's form- factor when away from home, but I always ran into the same wall with apps. They were always just short of what would have made them useful for me due to ram, processor, and graphics speed limitations.

With the iPad 2 I will be able to shoot and mock-up commercial videos, edit the spots, and score proposed music approaches all on one thin, portable device.

Selling your old one takes no time or effort at all. I sold mine online to Gazelle for $530. I did it on my iPad and it took about 5 minutes. They even covered shipping costs.

The real advantages of the new model will become clear when apps made exclusively for the new specs begin to show up (like iMovie). But if you only surf the web there would be no need for the new hardware.

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Now the iPad 3 will likely be a different story for me. If it gets Retina Display then that's a game changer and I'll pop for it.

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I have the money I would but I don't. I'll shut up until I can afford it and if that's close of the iPad 3 release then it will be the iPad 3. Then the iPad 2 owners will be discussing this subject.

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh I totally agree, I ususlly see something new and it is oh boy I have to have it, But that is so not true, I like my ipad, It works great for everything I use it for, so I am going to be happy with what I have too =)

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because there will always be another "hottest thing in the market".

Marketing and hype notwithstanding, some people will want to get it because it is the latest generation iPad, and others can live without it until the 3rd generation device appears; and some, of course, continue agonize over the decision.

Gayle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my iPad and have used it constantly since last April. I have no need for a camera, and therefore see no reason to upgrade. Congratulations to all iPad2 owners, I hope you love them as much as I do my original. :)

iChuckNorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I concur. I don't feel the need to upgrade to the iPad 2 just yet since I have no real use for it's new features. A bit more snappiness would be nice, but I've never really had the feeling that the orig iPad is all that slow, so it's not enough of an incentive for me to buy the new one. I think I'll hang on to this one until the next version comes out, hopefully then we'll see a better display and (fingers crossed) an SD card slot. That would make me want to upgrade.

Djdan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed here as well. Would love a 2. But 1 has and does serve me so well. And I have no desire or need for the cameras. So, I'll enjoy the discount on accessories, maybe treat myself to a new case or app or two and continue happily along with my first gen and wait to be blown away by 3.

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good discussion. I did the pre-order of the 1st gen and have absolutely no regrets. Its a fantastic device, and I use it everyday, but I just bought a 11" MBA a month ago and think waiting for the iPad 3 is the best choice for me.

I agree with lots of others, yes I want one NOW, but realistically I am still having fun with my current Apple mobile office set up, (iPad, iPhone 4, MBA), so waiting for another year for the iPad 3 is certainly not going to be a sacrifice.

Lastly, to all the folks that got one today or will in a few weeks, I think its great and I am still a little envious even after rationalizing my decision.

Erik hadley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My thoughts are this..... If it was such a huge improvement and apple knew that it was, do you really think they wouldn have left the price exactly the same as the previous model? Doubtful. And when iPad 3 comes out with major improvements such as retina display and USB ports do you honestly think then they will not raise the price or just keep it the same as the previous two years because they are just such a customer loving company? Come on, they didn't raise the price cause they knew it wasn't much of an upgrade but they are becoming known for having to release something for all the people out there that just have to have this years model of whatever new gadget is out there. My guess, iPad 3 with retina and USB = $150 more for the top model. If not more.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My guess, iPad 3 with retina and USB = $150 more for the top model. If not more.

Then people will decide whether the new model is worth the additional money, and vote with their wallets and purses.

However, Apple isn't a newcomer to this and I'm sure they will have done their homework in this area. As proven in the past, they sometimes know their market better than the consumers themselves. (And not forgetting that they'll also have an eye on their competitors, including their prices.)

Most reactions