What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why has the iPad been so successful?

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Updated List

Based on the replies, I realise that there are some positives of the iPad that definitely influenced my decision but that I failed to list.

Positives:-

The Apple brand
The iPod/iPhone heritage
Compactness, even though there are complaints about weight
Instant start, from hibernation at least
Battery life
Price
It's pretty cool

Could do better:-

No SD card slot
No printer access
No access to file system
Many web pages aren't suited to touch navigation
Being forced to use the App Store to buy and instal apps

Some respodents seem to think that I am negative about the iPad. Not true, I like it for the resaons listed but there is definitely room for improvement.

irwaffles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've convinced a fair share of people to actually buy one, and even more people from strictly bashing it to 'wanting one' just by letting them play with mine.

Talking about it is fine I suppose, but it's a whole 'nother ball game when you actually let them pick it up with their hands and play with it, which is what I think is a big deciding factor for a lot of people.

Of course, there is always the Apple brand name to back it up but you guys already discussed it : )

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Given the failure of tablet computers to achieve success over many years why has the iPad sold so well?

My thoughts are:-

The Apple brand
The iPod/iPhone heritage
Compactness, even though there are complaints about weight
Instant start, from hibernation at least

On the negative side:-

No SD card slot
No printer access
No access to file system
Many web pages aren't suited to touch navigation
Being forced to use the App Store to buy and instal apps

You forgot:

Unbeatable battery life (mine gets upwards of 16 hours)

Best LCD panel on the market (its actually the same panel as the $2500 HP

Dream Color display)

Everything is fast fast fast! Sure safari has its crashy issues....hopefully it is being worked on...but I have never gotten an app that didn't work or was not compatible.

Video streaming blows away any other device, including laptops (thanks to the screen!)

The UI. Since everything is built for the device it all feels right....windows with a touch screen just doesn't work.

Apple support is ALWAYS a plus...if anything goes wrong they will replace it within a year (two if you get apple care!)

Then when you jailbreak you find a whole other world of great!

oh BTW, as for your negatives:

No SD card slot - The camera connection kit comes with an SD reader and a USB reader...both of which work great with iFile (you can even watch videos off of it!)

No printer access - There are about 30 apps for that....and it will be native next month.

No access to file system - iFile

Many web pages aren't suited to touch navigation - Now you can't blame that on the device...

Being forced to use the App Store to buy and instal apps - Cydia anyone?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not having to consider battery life, portability, instant on and silent operation are all great pluses in my book

" Personally, I don't see any of those things you mentioned as being a negative attribute of the iPad. For the same reason, I do not feel the need to jailbreak my iPad either." Agree a 100%.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He forgot to mention battery life. No laptop comes close.

The reason that prevous tablets failed is because they were running Windows. Apple built the iPad with ios in mind.

It boggles the mind when people who don't like the device take the time to join this forum and critize the device. You would think they had better things to do?

You absolutely correct on battery life. It is one of THE reasons I decided to get an iPad.
As for why did I bother even though I percieved some shortcomings?
The iPad has enough appeal to get me to part my my money. I can leave in on the coffee table access the web at a moment's notice AND it goes for days without recharging.
I do get a little frustrated that I still have to fire up my notebook to print something out or save an email attachment though.
I think that you are over-reacting to my negative comments by the way. Overall I am quite positive about the iPad, these are just some things that Ithink could be improved.

My apologies RAC. I just get annoyed when people get on the forum just to bash the iPad. Constructive criticism is fine though.

I agree with you about the SD card reader. It would have been nice if that was built in. That and a USB port would have been nice.

The competition in the tablet space is going to explode in the coming months, and Apple will have to address these things in future ipad's.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why?

Two Words: Flash Memory

All of your tablet PC's have had hard drives to date (at least the serious ones). That means they have to expend a large amount of energy booting up - also taking a lot of time and battery life. So with a tablet PC you get a slow, lethargic Windows machine with 4 hours of battery life if you're lucky.

With the flash memory in an iPad, as well as the proprietary batteries - you get an instant on machine with a great display and very long battery life.

Also - the iTunes store with apps doesn't hurt - since millions are already familiar with the iOS from their iPhones.

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Frankly, I don't see any bashing of the Ipad on this thread. I've only seen a poster speak about certain omissions as negative factors, and another say it does have shortcomings. I don't see what's so bad there, it is possible to own an ipad, enjoy it, but wish that it did more or recognize that it does have certain limitations. The key is to research the product before buying, and determine if you can live with what it doesn't have or do. But, as a prospective Ipad buyer, I welcome all comments, whether it be praise or critique.

Gabriel1964

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree and support the comments of the OP, and particularly of G.P. I own an iPad (64gb wifi) and an Archos 5IT (5 inch android tablet). Is the Archos as good an internet tablet as the iPad? Definately not. But the Archos is a great and more versatile media player (pmp).
I think it is a case of horses for courses. I use my iPad daily, but do carry both with me as the codec support on the Archos is very broad and I have a lot of media the iPad either won't play or is better on the Archos. The Archos will play 720p HD out to a TV via a dock (which I have) so that is what I mean by better.
Love them both and have found areas of strength and weakness for them both. The iPad definately has the WOW factor though :)

tekrex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad falls short for the usual Apple reasons

I won't say fail but it is a great product and I love and use mine every day. That being said, I am NOT an Apple fan boy. In fact I'm an ex MS admin and android user. I started with the G1 and have loved it from day one.

I had been eagerly awaiting the sub $200 Android tablets that you keep hearing rumors about. Usually from China somewhere. But I couldn't wait any longer and I needed something now. So I broke down and dropped $500 on the base 16gb model.

To whoever said price was a positive, well NO, $500 is insane and only an Apple user would think otherwise (they are just used to it by now).

Neg's? Yes and they are real.
1. No USB access & No Memory card slot. And no, the camera adapter kit is not a solution, it's a work around. The whole point of a tablet is portability. Adding more things to carry around defeats that purpose.
2. No REAL keyboard or mouse. Yes, I know it's touch, but I want to use this for business. I want to sit down at my desk, connect via Synergy to my desktop and then go. It should be built in and Apple knows it. They don't allow it because they know it will cut into laptop sales.
3. File level access. It's a business thing/expert level users thing. I shouldn't have to buy some non native app just to manage files.
4. Safari sucks and you know it does, AND it doesn't work with many sites. We want our Firefox. We want our Google bookmarks and yes, dammit we want Flash.
5. Printing, yeah, yeah, it's coming but I want to print now.
6. Where is my camera for skype???

That being said, it does, what it is supposed to do. I have a Dell mini 9, almost the same size screen and it cost less then half the price.... BUT lets face it, that's a small screen and that GUI was not designed to be so small. The iOS was designed from the ground up to be easy to read and touch centric. The screen is beautiful and the battery life is a godsend. It's fast and fun and any type of media is like candy when seen on it.

But I tell you what... Let me see a sub $200 Android tablet with SD cards, usb ports and a camera and you will find my iPad on CL right quick.

Yeah, I'm fickle like that :)

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had been eagerly awaiting the sub $200 Android tablets that you keep hearing rumors about. Usually from China somewhere. But I couldn't wait any longer and I needed something now. So I broke down and dropped $500 on the base 16gb model.
Why did you have to have it now? Was someone going to die if you didn't have a tablet computer this very instant? Was your job in jeapoardy? Was your wife going to leave you? Was an asteroid going to crash into the planet? It sounds like you were just impatient.

When someone holds a gun to your head and makes you fork over $500, it is called theft. You, on the other hand, gave your money to Apple voluntarily. You had a very specific list of needs for your portable computing solution and the fact that the iPad did not have them is very well known, but you bought it anyway. The iPad is a comsumption device. It is not a laptop re-packaged in a touch-screen format. If someone told you it was, they lied to you... and it wasn't Apple!

I have six dogs. From time to time, I need to take them places so I bought a minivan. I didn't buy a Corvette and then say, "Gee, now how am I going to take my dogs places?" I bought the solution that suited my needs. I didn't buy something just because it was "cool" and "sexy" and then hoped that it might do what I needed it to do even though it was clear that it wouldn't and then go bitch on the Corvette forums about how I can't use it to transport my dogs!

And I am not a "fanboy" either. I don't have a Mac and I don't even have an iPhone. I just work hard for my money and try my darndest to make the best decisions I can before shelling out the Benjies. If the iPad doesn't suit your needs, then its real clear to me.... don't buy it!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But I tell you what... Let me see a sub $200 Android tablet with SD cards, usb ports and a camera and you will find my iPad on CL right quick.

Yeah, I'm fickle like that :)
Come back when you have a "sub $200" Android tablet that has a large screen and real keyboard so that you can "sit down at your desk, connect via Synergy to your desktop and then go." I would also like to see how such a keyboard rotates with the device. That outta be a neat trick. :)

As for me, I have no problems with Safari. In fact I have at least two other browsers installed on my iPad yet still seem to use Safari the most. And given how Firefox has been getting slower and crappier with each release I really don't want that on my iPad.

Michael

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still confused about the comment stating that websites don't work well with the touch interface. What sites are we talking about? Most of the sites I go to are at least as easy as with a mouse, sometimes even better.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the iPad cause I like shiiiiiny things...
Rofl_3e.gif

Most reactions