What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why go I get "Not Charging" when the iPad is plugged in to PC's USB?

djpritchard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I plug my iPad in to the USB port of my lap top, I get a "Not Charging" indication near the battery indicator? I'm still living off the first initial charge through the supplied adapter but really planned on charging it via my lap top or PC.

Any ideas why?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not enough power to charge..it will data sync tho. You will need a double USB plug to power it and sync.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What he means is a USB port that is rated at 1000mw instead of the older 500mw outlets. Most USB 2.0 ports only had a maximum rating of 500mw due to the low power requirements that most items required. The iPad is still a 5Vdc system, but to charge while it is being used, you have to pull 1000mw of power. 500mw is enough to charge a iPad when turned off, or to maintain the charge on a actve iPad. To do both, you require a 1000mw unit.

iPad911

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank g-d this is normal cuz i thought something was wrong with my ipad.
but it took a long time for me to charge my ipad with the wall adatar i charged only one time and it took about 5 hours to fully charge.
is that normal?

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have read that it should take about 4 hours to completely recharge. I wouldn't worry about your iPad. I am sure it is fine.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad has a relatively large battery. It may have half of its weight in the battery from what I have heard. The bigger the battery, the longer it takes to charge.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What he means is a USB port that is rated at 1000mw instead of the older 500mw outlets. Most USB 2.0 ports only had a maximum rating of 500mw due to the low power requirements that most items required. The iPad is still a 5Vdc system, but to charge while it is being used, you have to pull 1000mw of power. 500mw is enough to charge a iPad when turned off, or to maintain the charge on a actve iPad. To do both, you require a 1000mw unit.

no I mean a double USB cable. It has one USB on one side and two on the other. It's for hard drives and other devices that require more power than the old USB ports allowed.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I plug my iPad in to the USB port of my lap top, I get a "Not Charging" indication near the battery indicator? I'm still living off the first initial charge through the supplied adapter but really planned on charging it via my lap top or PC.

Any ideas why?

The power required by the ipad is greater than most laptops can produce because it has bigger batteries . Exceptions are some of the Macs and some PC's that support higher voltage devices like hard drives etc
The ipad will charge but very slow when connected and if in sleep mode however you may not see any indication on the screen the battery level however may not change

That is why one needs either a dual usb cable or a powered hub with high out put.
I am curious why do you need to charge the ipad from the lap top when you need to charge the laptop from power any way. The ipad charges fine from direct power lasts 10 to 12 hours just charge it when you sleep.

Regards Col

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts