What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why don't apple have sms for ipad 2 3G

phuclegau88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well thats the question on my mine, ipad 3g withnsim card but why no apps to recieve a sms

OP
P

phuclegau88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I means ,im using sim card but im unable to recieve sms on my real number (number i using on ipad)

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
the iPad is not a telephone.

I have a reverse question: can I send a SMS message from iPad?

The sim card is not designed for iPad and carrier requires to send an SMS monthly ordering a data plan (this is a prepaid card). A not convenient solution is to take out microSIM card and insert it into a Phone to send an SMS and to extend my data plan.

But it would be nice to send an SMS directly from iPad.
Is it possible?

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Btw

SMS must be sent from the number associated with the microsim card. So I can't send sms messages from Textie or other free SMS message providers.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is your iPad jailbroken? If so, there's a 'phone app for the iPad - it was covered in the News section of the Forum recently. But, for a non-jailbroken iPad there are no 'native' SMS apps.

Tim

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
SwirlySMS for iPad 3G is an excellent jailbreak app which enables full SMS capabilities on your iPad 3G. Obviously this is only good for the iPad1 today, but when the iPad2 is jailbroken soon, it should also work there...

A word of warning however, if you do not have a SMS bundle on the SIM agreement then you will pay full network rates per message. On my iPad that's 10p per message... For that reason, and also the fact that fragmenting my SMS between iPhone and iPad is not desirable to me, I tend not to use it much!

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is your iPad jailbroken? If so, there's a 'phone app for the iPad - it was covered in the News section of the Forum recently. But, for a non-jailbroken iPad there are no 'native' SMS apps.

Tim

No.. mine is not jailbroken. Tim, this is an iPad2 forum ;) ;) ;)

And yes.. I've seen that info about Phone app.. Unfortunately - we'll need to wait while iPad2 gets jailbroken.

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A word of warning however, if you do not have a SMS bundle on the SIM agreement then you will pay full network rates per message. On my iPad that's 10p per message... For that reason, and also the fact that fragmenting my SMS between iPhone and iPad is not desirable to me, I tend not to use it much!

Thanks for a tip!
Yep.. I don't have SMS bundle on the SIM agreement. Just the data plan. But to send a single SMS monthly to extend my Data Plan - not a big deal even at higher SMS price.

Anyway.. let's wait until iPad2 JB.

Thanks!

melsreturn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the iPad is not a telephone.

AND WHY NOT?
I've had my Ipad2 for 1 day. already, I see a few things I want.
1. ability to text without having to download an app, the same program on my iphone
2. Ability to call someone FROM MY OWN NUMBER, and not having to do google voice, skype, or any other kind of app
3. Since #2 isn't possible, then at least be able to use my blue ant s4 bluetooth on my ipad2 with skype.
sigh.

so many benefits, yet still some drawbacks.

dont get me wrong tho, I love this thing so far.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Because it's not a phone...

iMessage will solve your texting problem in another month with iOS 5

-t

gus69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skype... Phone it iPad, swirly and wasapp, there is a way to make it work... But is kinda a lot of work to do it, google it and have fun, owning an iPad is the half of the fun chaging things is the other half... Have fun

Most reactions

Latest posts