What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why don't American TV stations have live streams?

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For example, CNN, ABC, etc. CNN has live streaming, but its only of press conferences, not their actual channel. I can't imagine their advertisers would care because they'd get more exposure and it would only benefit them if I can watch more Wolf Blitzer. The only people who might care are the cable TV companies.

I suspect it has to do with US law or cable company contracts because Al-Jazeera and NHK both have streams, although I know at least Al-Jazeera is broadcasted in the US.

Skip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kevbo said:
For example, CNN, ABC, etc. CNN has live streaming, but its only of press conferences, not their actual channel. I can't imagine their advertisers would care because they'd get more exposure and it would only benefit them if I can watch more Wolf Blitzer. The only people who might care are the cable TV companies.

I suspect it has to do with US law or cable company contracts because Al-Jazeera and NHK both have streams, although I know at least Al-Jazeera is broadcasted in the US.

I suspect it is because of contracts with cable companies.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Want to know what is funny? In Europe we can get almost everything, including CNN and all the Hollywood TV shows and movies that Americans can't at home.

Write your congressman. Big media: suck it, your competing with free.

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ABC has streaming on demand for most of its shows. It's a free app.

The picture quality is quite good. There are commercials, but far fewer than what would be on broadcast (an hour long show broadcast is about 42 min show content and 18 min commericals - the same show with streaming video is 42 min content and 8 min commercials. Not bad considering it is completely free.

Skip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PBS also has a great app for streaming a great deal of their shows. I've became a very big fan of Nova.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The biggest problem is they all still fear the Internet.

It's going to be quite a while until the executives at these companies are young enough to understand that the Internet is not just a home to torrent sites that steal their content.

gray_mouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your cable box / tv has build in mic for monitoring, NSA don't want you live streaming. Look at Alex Jones radio, number one in the world. Main stream US media can't touch Alex Jones and infowars.com because they are controlled, and people in charge want some things to remain a certain way. No more, no less.

snoitan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suspect it is because of contracts with cable companies.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is the reason. Most of them allow on-demand access to their popular programs, including ABC's app, CBS' website, etc. FOX seems to be the most anti-streaming, with Hulu being the main place where you can watch their programming if you missed it.

Most reactions