What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why doesn't ipad2 support html 5?

Batpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gdg said:
I gather this has been discussed to death but the concept of jailbreaking an ipad is new to me. I knew that people jailbroke their iPhones but I thought that was so they could use them in other countries when they traveled. I also was under the impression that one could never update a jailbroken iPhone so I ended up getting an unlocked one myself. As for the iPad I have a Canadian iPad2 which means I can use any carrier I like, anywhere in the world. Wouldn't jailbreaking an iPad compromise both it's future functionality (in terms of updates) and reduce it's resale value?:confused:
A couple of things:

Jailbreaking is where you gain greater access to the phones system thus allowing you to customize the phone in a way which is otherwise prevented.

The phone is usually tied to a particular network and when you travel, partner networks would allow you to use your phone in that country.

When you are in your home country, although jail breaking would allow you to unlock your phone from a particular network so that you could use a sim card from another network. However, you can unlock your phone from a network without jail breaking it therefore complying with Apple's terms and conditions.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - The only stupid question is the one you don't ask

OP
G

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My phone was purchased factory unlocked from Apple (at a premium). This has allowed me to travel in a number of countries were I just pop in a local sim card and purchase a few weeks of network time. So I could have achieved this simply by jailbreaking my phone?

Anyway, I'm starting to to get the jailbreak thing but unless I can get apps that allow access to BBC World and HBO it's not going to be worth the trouble I don't think. (though the fact you can do this and reset it back to it's original state is quite intriguing)

Last edited:

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Netflix? Hulu plus+?

Or perhaps once jailbreak comes out for iPad2.....check out "glee mobile" from cydia. Allows you to stream/download episodes for freeeeeeee.

Using "Glee Mobile" can one legally download all of the Glee episodes without commercials in HD? I'd love to thumb my nose at Apple's attempts to gouge the consumer so if this kind of thing is possible I'd be all over jailbreaking the moment it becomes possible.

Check for yourself...
Goto Glee Mobile - Watch Glee on your iPhone or iPod touch! :D
You will need a browser with download capability to view...
No ipad version yet....still the episodes don't look half bad....and atleast it's free and no jb required....

I just tried this on my iphone, everytime I get to the part where is says play, it bring me back to the main menu.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would suggest using a browser with download capability and hold finger on download link and then "download file" to watch.

The videos look just as nice on the iPad too.....;)

@ gdg - have you tried the link I posted?

Last edited:

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didnt think you could download anything unless through itunes/app store? Right now I only have perfect browser, firefox and iswifter, which one do you use?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Both iCab Mobile and Atomic Browser (full version) have download abilities. I think iCab's are a little more complete and easier to manage. iCab can also (for a few sites, none of which I have personal experience with) upload from it's own folders.

GoodReader also has the ability to download files, either by entering the URL or through it's built in browser. It's good for this, but since it was designed specifically to go get downloads it tend to be too annoying for regular browsing. It keeps asking you if you want to download when you tap on links. :)

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I didnt think you could download anything unless through itunes/app store? Right now I only have perfect browser, firefox and iswifter, which one do you use?

I use atomic browser....iCab will work also. Once on the megadownload link page....hold finger on link and a pop up will appear then choose "download file"

Last edited:
OP
G

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanx Outl4w!

@ gdg - have you tried the link I posted?

Dude! Thanx for asking. I did indeed try yesterday and got completely frustrated up by the instructions. I was going to tell you about it and went through the process again to let you know where I got messed. In the process going through it a second time I realized that the problem was that the example of the popup screen given in the instructions is wrong. I filled the blanks in myself and lo and behold... it worked!:D Thanx again!

P.s. Now the question is ... are we just waiting for an HD version of this process to be implemented? (The guy on the gleemobile site claims he needs to get a ipad in order to implement the process properly)

Last edited:

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah thank you guys for the info!

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
gdg said:
Dude! Thanx for asking. I did indeed try yesterday and got completely frustrated up by the instructions. I was going to tell you about it and went through the process again to let you know where I got messed. In the process going through it a second time I realized that the problem was that the example of the popup screen given in the instructions is wrong. I filled the blanks in myself and lo and behold... it worked!:D Thanx again!

P.s. Now the question is ... are we just waiting for an HD version of this process to be implemented? (The guy on the gleemobile site claims he needs to get a ipad in order to implement the process properly)

What did you have to fill out? All I did is pick the season....pick the episode....pick download...hold finger on dowoad link and then "download file" with atomic browser.

And the movies looked fine...

OP
G

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The instructions are quite confusing. At one point they tell you to get Megaupload from the App Store but when you click on this you are directed to get Upload Manager Lite intstead. Then... when you pick an episode and click Megaupload the screen that pops up does not have an "access code" to enter (like the example given in the instruction screen). Worse... there are like 4 different buttons labeled "download here". It's all VERY confusing. Even worse each time I download an episode the screen that comes up when one clicks "megaupload" is different...In fact, on the 4th episode I tried to download there were 7 different buttons all claiming to download the file and none of them worked. I'm little bit lost at this point and simply can't seem to get the 4th episode to download at all. :confused:

OP
G

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's definitely something wrong with episode 4 (season 2). I was able to download episodes 1,2,3 and 5 without a hitch. What isn't coming up when I pick episode 4 and click Megaupload is the "Direct download" option (which is what has worked on all the others)

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't listen to those instructions....listen to these:
You just need a browser with download ability....atomic browser or iCab will work perfectly....
Tap the season you want
Tap the episode you want
Tap mediafire ~ stream/download
On the download page tap & hold "click here to start download from mediafire." wait for popup and then tap "download file"
Wait for download completes and enjoy...:D

OP
G

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanx for your patience Outl4w.

Don't listen to those instructions....listen to these: ...

Tap mediafire ~ stream/download

I just noticed this detail in your description and sure enough by clicking Mediafire instead of Multiupload I was able to download episode 4.
BTW, I'm using Download Manager Lite and am not not sure why I can't get Atomic Web to download. When i click on download the file it starts streaming instead (and yes... I am registered).

Last edited:
OP
G

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW, I just transferred these episodes to my 27" iMac and they look pretty horrifying. I guess that's what you pay for when you buy them on iTunes (tru HD quality).

Most reactions

Latest posts