What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why doesn't Apple allow trial versions in the App Store?

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This subject may very well have been brought up many a time before, but, it is a curious question for me.

There are a number of Apps that I might be inclined to try IF I had the opportunity to "try before I buy".

It does not seem like a reasonable restriction. It certainly seems to me that alot of others may feel the same way I do.

Any thoughts from others?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This subject may very well have been brought up many a time before, but, it is a curious question for me.

There are a number of Apps that I might be inclined to try IF I had the opportunity to "try before I buy".

It does not seem like a reasonable restriction. It certainly seems to me that alot of others may feel the same way I do.

Any thoughts from others?

Several app developers do put 'lite' versions of their software in the App Store - but this is down to the app developer and not in any way restricted by Apple.

By the way, if you purchase an app that you subsequently don't like or if it doesn't meet your expectations, you can always get a refund; call the Apple Support line with the transaction reference (from your iTunes invoice), explain the problem and you'll be given a 'no questions asked' refund as a credit to your iTunes account. Many members have done this and we've yet to receive a report of any request for a refund even being questioned, let alone refused.

If you're cynical - like me - you might note that, when Apple gives a refund, they keep their 'cut' of the original transaction and the developer has to fully refund the cost of the app to the purchaser.

Tim

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's business for you and maybe the dev should have made it better? But yes, Tim's right, I've had to get refunds 2 or 3 times due to duplicate downloads and got my money every time. Apple are good like that.

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

dvmweb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Several app developers do put 'lite' versions of their software in the App Store - but this is down to the app developer and not in any way restricted by Apple.

By the way, if you purchase an app that you subsequently don't like or if it doesn't meet your expectations, you can always get a refund; call the Apple Support line with the transaction reference (from your iTunes invoice), explain the problem and you'll be given a 'no questions asked' refund as a credit to your iTunes account. Many members have done this and we've yet to receive a report of any request for a refund even being questioned, let alone refused.

If you're cynical - like me - you might note that, when Apple gives a refund, they keep their 'cut' of the original transaction and the developer has to fully refund the cost of the app to the purchaser.

Tim

That reminds of the complications AOL used to put up to make it more difficult to stop being charged for service. Apple app refund procedure is usuary and unethical because it is obstructive. Should be straightforward and simple to do online.

bho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's one thing I liked about Android Market, you could try app for up to 15 minutes and if you didn't like it get full refund automatically.

Reaction score

Doughrayme, $, green backs, moola,£,¥

Sweet Poison, the market changed the refund policy to a 15 minute window for paid apps but once you try the app if you don't like it you simply go back into the market, my apps, tap refund, the email shows up with the refunded amount in about a minute.
Many developers state in their description they still honor the 24 hour window and if you don't want it in under 24 hours just email them and the refund is sent. Heck most of my paid apps don't even show as paid for about an hour or 2 and some showed in the email when I asked for a refund that my card was never charged because they wait 24 hours to charge.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved

Last edited:

HerbalTBag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it is great that they would give refunds for that, I never knew they could do that. I wish that they did however have lite versions of every app because there are some good ones that I would like to buy but would regret it if I hated it.

Reaction score
I think it is great that they would give refunds for that, I never knew they could do that. I wish that they did however have lite versions of every app because there are some good ones that I would like to buy but would regret it if I hated it.

I agree completely on both formats.
Probably 80% or more of my paid Android apps are because it had a lite or trial version. My PowerAmp app on my phone had a 2 week full usage trial but I'd settle for a day.
I don't trust most reviews because they are very imprecise

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Inc

Reaction score
That's one thing I liked about Android Market, you could try app for up to 15 minutes and if you didn't like it get full refund automatically.

I heard that is not the case any more ~ could be wrong though ~

It's still very much the case. Used to be 24 hours, but they reduced it to 15 minutes.

But it's still easiest of the 2 platforms. I got an email today for an app I bought last week on my Ipad. My daughter read the book once and decided she didn't like it because it scared her.If I want a refund it's much more of a hassle. On Android I'd have had the refund done and over in minutes vs waiting until Apple decided to charge, then the whole return process .

Support Our Troops!!

Reaction score
I don't mind ads either. What I DO mind is reviews that complain about free apps containing ads and giving a low score for that reason only.
Many apps on the Android market do not offer a paid or donation version that is ad free. I've yet to find one, though I haven't searched, for an Apple app that has ads and no way to pay to remove them. I'll just live with the ads, they are never obtrusive anyway.

Support Our Troops!!

Last edited:

Rubicon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.greatlittlewargame.com
I would suggest that if there's no Lite version available, give it a wide berth. It's well understood that potential customers often want a trial and this concept of "lite" is well understood.

If there's no trial version, maybe they don't want you seeing it before parting with your cash. God I'm an cynic... :)

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Rubicon said:
I would suggest that if there's no Lite version available, give it a wide berth. It's well understood that potential customers often want a trial and this concept of "lite" is well understood.

If there's no trial version, maybe they don't want you seeing it before parting with your cash. God I'm an cynic... :)

nope, my thoughts exactly, if they have faith in their app, why not let ppl try it out first for free

icouldsave.co.uk - help save money and the planet!

Most reactions