What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does apple block what the iPad can do?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On their current photo app page, they have changed the ad some, after I emailed them about it, but it shows the camera hooked up to the iPad with the full size image showing. The other ad showed it being connected and the image showing up. Like I said, when I talked to apple, they said it could do it.

I wanted to be able to use it for client previews on location, so I would not need to drag a laptop anymore. I have figured out a work around. I am going to go with an eyefi card and a aluratek battery operated router and use shutter snitch. Still, it will be dropping all of the images to the iPad, but I guess I will just go back and delete them afterwards. It will be nice to let the client preview as we are shooting. The original post is in reference to the need for the router. I wouldn't need it if I jail break the iPad and turn on one of the things it can do, that apple won't let it do.

Firstly it has never done that, nor was there ever an ad showing that, you are mistaken. If you would like to do that tho you can jailbreak and get iFile. It let's you read anything off the card reader without first installing them locally. So you can preview photos and videos just like you would on a desktop.

OP
B

Bill-fl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On their current photo app page, they have changed the ad some, after I emailed them about it, but it shows the camera hooked up to the iPad with the full size image showing. The other ad showed it being connected and the image showing up. Like I said, when I talked to apple, they said it could do it.

I wanted to be able to use it for client previews on location, so I would not need to drag a laptop anymore. I have figured out a work around. I am going to go with an eyefi card and a aluratek battery operated router and use shutter snitch. Still, it will be dropping all of the images to the iPad, but I guess I will just go back and delete them afterwards. It will be nice to let the client preview as we are shooting. The original post is in reference to the need for the router. I wouldn't need it if I jail break the iPad and turn on one of the things it can do, that apple won't let it do.

Firstly it has never done that, nor was there ever an ad showing that, you are mistaken. If you would like to do that tho you can jailbreak and get iFile. It let's you read anything off the card reader without first installing them locally. So you can preview photos and videos just like you would on a desktop.

Well, I know what I saw, and I know what the apple techs told me. But, you last paragraph made my point of this thread. Why would the iFile app not be on the app store? Why would one have to jail break their iPad to use a good, functional app?

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because the iPad was meant to be used by complete computer idiots (like my mother for example, no offense to her) as well as computer savvy people. iFile, as good as it is, opens up the iPad to all kinds of viruses and malicious logic that my mother doesn't know about and doesn't know how to combat.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well, I know what I saw, and I know what the apple techs told me. But, you last paragraph made my point of this thread. Why would the iFile app not be on the app store? Why would one have to jail break their iPad to use a good, functional app?

But honestly who cares if you have to jailbreak to do these things...you can jailbreak...it is an optiion and it's very easy...so why complain?

iPad100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tbh I haven't read anything about jailbreak apps which has made me want to do it. Don't even care about multitasking. All I want is folders onscreen and those will be coming next week.

I just got the iPad and have studied the 'jailbreak or not to jailbreak' question with some intensity (as I am sure most new device owners have). I tend to agree - for me, I don't really need to jailbreak (yet).

Of course, I may change my mind:

(1) My needs may well change and a jailbreak could suit me in the future. At the moment, with great apps being so dirt cheap (mostly €1 - €2, and even pages and keynote for €8 apiece is a bargain! Sure, I could get apps for free, but that alone doesn't seem worth it.

(2) Multi-tasking? Don't need it - I am happy with the switching between apps at the moment. Again, perhaps I will identify some more demanding needs in the future as I use the device more.

(3) The principle of the matter... in general, as a consumer I don't like closed systems. You are too much at the mercy of the changing whims of big business. I tend to 'release' most of my gadgets just on principle - region lock on DVD players and DVD-ROMs are a prime example. I rarely watch DVDs on my computer, but I may need to one day. Similarly, I considered jailbreaking just to have the iPad open for the future. But for now, I prefer the stock configuration - this is an exception for me, and perhaps an indication that Apple have done a pretty good job of designing this gadget - within the confines of the Apple closed system parameters.

Anyway, I'm keeping my eye on the jailbreak options - one just never knows! ;)

MarkK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well... why does Apple block things the iPad can do?
Because they know more about computers than the average consumer.

An iPad can do a lot of things, but for many of these, common sense tells us that we shouldn't do them.
Let's say your table is wobbly and the gap is just about as wide as your iPod is thick.
Now, would you put your iPod on the floor to stop the table from wobbling?
I mean... you can do it and the table would stop wobbling.
You wouldn't do it of course, because common sense tells you the glass would crack.
That's because you have knowledge about everyday things.

But how good is your knowledge about computers?
Do you have the knowledge to determine whether it's safe to install a certain piece of software?
Or do you have to rely on others?
With the AppStore you can be rather sure that Apple has checked the software and it will be pulled asap if there is some forbidden coding hidden somewhere in an App.

Your iPad contains a lot of personal data. Phone-numbers, addresses, your diary. Maybe even access-codes and passwords to other systems.

Would you just install software from unchecked sources?

Who tells you that some of the stuff you install doesn't 'call home' and transfer all your senstitive data to some server in Russia?

A lot of users actually would do this.
I mean... they even send the pin-code of their bank-cards to some phisher because an email-message told them to.
These people would install anything on their iPad just because someone told them they should.
If your iPad were open, exactly this would be bound to happen. Someone has got to protect the average user from himself.
Therefore, in my eyes it's a positive aspect that the iPad won't allow you to do anything you want with it. Basically, this is for your protection.
If you really want to jailbreak it, you can.
But did you know that a lot of the stuff you get via Cydia actually originates in Russia?

If you don't like it, buy an Android tablet.
After a few crashes, data-loss and viruses, you'll understand why Apple do what they do.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because Apple is all about control. They are a bunch of douchbags that think that they know better than the user.

I can assure you that is not true 90% of the time.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Not reading everything above me.

The iPad, iPod, iPhone - any iOS device and apple MP3 player - were made to suit the masses, not the tech savvy. There is a reason for this - the Tech Savvy are not the majority of users, we are just the majority of overly vocal users when it comes to functionality.

There is a reason the iPod took over the MP3 player market was because they were easy to use and just worked. This is really true of any of the iOS devices when you look at the overall picture, just just what the "hackers" and tech savvy. We are always going to push the limits of our devices to the Nth degree whether it is jailbreaking an iPhone or overclocking a CPU.

The iPad was not designed for the Tech Savvy. It was designed for a much broader audience and its popularity has proven this.

Besides - I really don't think that the average user would even know how to jailbreak or root their phone or ipads. Or even if they would want to. I have kept mine on iOS 3.2.2 to see if there was something I would need to do that I could not do - haven't found anything yet.

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because Apple is all about control. They are a bunch of douchbags that think that they know better than the user.

I assume by this comment, by comparing the principles of the company to a feminine hygiene product, that you are implying that the folks employed at One Infinite Loop are not doing a very good job of running the company.

The latest figures indicate that Apple's net worth is $222 billion which isn't too shabby considering Microsoft's net worth is a paltry $219 billion. So I guess they aren't totally clueless in Cupertino!

This reminds me of something the late Mary Kay Ash (the founder of Mary Kay Cosmetics) said in an interview. The writer told Mary Kay that she thought that the pink Cadillacs that the company gave to their top salespeople were the ugliest cars on the road to which Mary Kay responded, "What color Cadillac did your company give you?"

So my question to you, since you seem to know more about what it takes to run a computer hardware and software company than Apple, "What is the net worth of your computer company?"

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have I told you I love you, lately?

:D
You have, but I can never hear it too many times!
bighug.gif

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com

What "user?" The high-end, real power user who is responsible for billion-dollar networks on the global scale, or those who still don't understand the power-button graphic on their PC/Monitor? Which "user" has been sold the most iPads as a group? I certainly don't think the first group has even one million people in it to begin with who would consider the iPad in the first place.

If some person doesn't like a piece of equipment but buys it and keeps it anyways, whose fault is that? Personally, this is the person who is the douchbag, not the company.

Jbloudg20

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And for the record, the iPad can be used for live preview. MyWi, mixed with a pro eye-fi sd card. Google it.

Most reactions

Latest posts