What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do you prefer iPad to iphone?

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use my IPhone for telephone, messages, and reminder list to grocery shop. For everything else I use my iPad with Lte. I use both for cameras. I found a Vera purse with handy pockets for each and they go everywhere with me. Bobbi

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For me, phones are just too darned small to get any satisfaction out of. Plus, I'm not a big cell phone user. I have a tracfone and pay by the minute for the rare occasions that use it. I just don't get the attraction to phones for something like web surfing. It's like really? You can actually see and work with that puny screen? Oh well, I'm in the minority, that's for sure. The iPad is the perfect size for portability and reasonable screen size, IMO. Small and compact is the norm though these days. I'm wondering when people will be watching movies and texting on their iWatches or whatever. :D

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
s2mikey said:
For me, phones are just too darned small to get any satisfaction out of. Plus, I'm not a big cell phone user. I have a tracfone and pay by the minute for the rare occasions that use it. I just don't get the attraction to phones for something like web surfing. It's like really? You can actually see and work with that puny screen? Oh well, I'm in the minority, that's for sure. The iPad is the perfect size for portability and reasonable screen size, IMO. Small and compact is the norm though these days. I'm wondering when people will be watching movies and texting on their iWatches or whatever. :D

I don't think you are in the minority or maybe you and I are the only ones who think that phones should be used to talk on? Every once in awhile I get curious about iPhones and what all the hoopla is about but that is about as far as I go. I use a Motorola Razr, it has the ability to be a smart phone but I do not use it for anything else but to talk to someone. In fact when someone calls me, I let it go to voicemail and if they leave a message I'll call them back. I spend too much of my workday on the phone, I do not want to spend another minute on the phone off work.

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Raises hand and ducks for cover......
I also don't blur the lines between phone and web/computing. I have no interest on web surfing on something the size of a postcard that I have to hold 5" from my eyes to see it's tiny words nor do I want to use my iPad to make verbal calls. I think both devices are good at their respective things and use them as such.
But if I had to choose.....
Most of us don't have to, most of us have many devices and not just one.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me, phones are just too darned small to get any satisfaction out of.

It essentially boils down to eyesight, uses and preferences.

For me, eyesight isn't a prob, and I started using smart phones long before iPads existed. My use of smart phones have changed, though. I continue to use them for web browsing on the go -- news, shopping comparison info, directions, apps, email and calls mostly. I don't carry my iPads everywhere, because I prefer to travel light when I can. But I use them heavily for things such as surfing and movies at home, for instance.

Personally, I use the "smart" part more than I ever use the phone part of any smart phone. I'm not a gabber, so I usually call only when I have info to communicate.

Last edited:

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not much of a cellphone/smartphone user. I hate the Minnie Mouse sized buttons and screen.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why would one place one over the other? To me, they are both computers...the phone can talk, text, and take pics/videos. It can be with me all the time, in the pocket & car. The iPad, not so much, but I use it for more work related things, so it gets used probably more than the phone, but it different ways. I take pics on the phone and view them on the iPad. Works great. I really enjoy photo stream (until it pissed me off) ability to let me snap on the phone and view on the iPad, almost instantly. If I am in a place where I would use either one, I will pick the iPad because of the larger screen. For some things the iPad is the go-to device, for other things, the iPhone is. The integration between them is useful.

Frankly, I would not be without either of them if I have the choice. Apple should sell them as a package with a slight discount if you buy them this way. Of course, they have no motivation to do so, but I think they might attract a certain segment of buyers who value the integration.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why would one place one over the other? To me, they are both computers...the phone can talk, text, and take pics/videos. It can be with me all the time, in the pocket & car. The iPad, not so much, but I use it for more work related things, so it gets used probably more than the phone, but it different ways. I take pics on the phone and view them on the iPad. Works great. I really enjoy photo stream (until it pissed me off) ability to let me snap on the phone and view on the iPad, almost instantly. If I am in a place where I would use either one, I will pick the iPad because of the larger screen. For some things the iPad is the go-to device, for other things, the iPhone is. The integration between them is useful.

Frankly, I would not be without either of them if I have the choice. Apple should sell them as a package with a slight discount if you buy them this way. Of course, they have no motivation to do so, but I think they might attract a certain segment of buyers who value the integration.

Yes, they are a handy pairing.

What I found nutty when Steve Jobs knocked down the possibility of a mini iPad (before he apparently changed his mind) was his saying that you'd have to file down your fingers to use a smaller tablet. By then, Apple had already sold millions upon millions of iPhones, and those buyers apparently managed without deformed fingers, lol.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, they are a handy pairing.

What I found nutty when Steve Jobs knocked down the possibility of a mini iPad (before he apparently changed his mind) was his saying that you'd have to file down your fingers to use a smaller tablet. By then, Apple had already sold millions upon millions of iPhones, and those buyers apparently managed without deformed fingers, lol.

Hehe...SJ will always be remembered for his "reality distortion field." I see him as a strong-will person, who simply believed his own hype (this comes in handy sometimes). Most of us share these traits to one degree or another. Back then, he was simply defending his position, even though, we all know it was nonsense. :) I bet even he would agree, in hindsight.

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Completely and totally agree.

I am eve considering the rumored Mini and will get one if the price is right and it has enough features to keep me from getting a Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD instead. Sometimes an iPad is a little too big and the iPhone is too small -- Like in church when using one as a Bible.

susanlackey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love them both equally and pretty much always have them both with me, unless I am traveling light without my purse, then it is just the phone.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I prefer the iPad for posting on this and other forums as typing is much easier. I use my iPhone more where portability is an issue.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPad for in the house - unless looking up something while on the iPad then the iPhone gets a workout. outside it's the phone, I don't carry my iPad with me unless I am traveling. If I am watching a movie on the TV and I want to look something up it is most likely on the iphone because it is just quicker for me sometimes...

Most reactions