What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do people keep upgrading iPads?

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For most people who use their iPad for a bit of fun like web browsing, watching a few videos and accessing email, I really don't see the need for upgrading. To me, that's what an iPAd is - an entertainment device, not something to work on; I have the laptop for that. I have iPad 2 and I can't see myself buying another iPad until the 9th or 10th version comes out by which time I would imagine the iPad will be very light, have very long battery life, very high quality screen, noticeably faster processor. But I really don't see why people buy a new iPad each time a new version comes out. Most of the upgrades are very small and incremental. Apple deliberately holds back big changes because they need to advertise something new each time they release a new one.

For example, if Apple brought a new iPad on to the market with only one change, let's say, a superior camera, there will be a flock going off and buying the new one even though most will never use the camera. Who uses an iPAd to take pictures? Its so awkward. Lot of the new iPad purchases are irrational.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What makes you so sure you know what others are doing?

Are you sure everyone upgrades each time a new iPad comes out? Where is your data on this? Lots of folks skip a model or two or pass the old one on to someone else.

Also, what if others don't use their iPad as you do? Does that make their use invalid? What if they got rid of their laptop?

And many tablets come with both rear and front cameras...just because it isn't your main camera, doesn't mean it can be used to snap a shot or two. Who says people upgrade to a new iPad just to get a new camera?

Do as you see fit for you and let others do as they please. It's a simple concept. :)

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the iPad for Internet browsing and light gaming. I've had an iPad 1 since it came out. It started crashing on more advanced games and wasn't even capable of running some newer games. And the interent was very slow. So I upgrade to an iPad 3 when they released. I couldn't be happier with the upgrade. The difference is night and day. It certainly didn't take 9 or 10 generations to build a far superior product IMO.

Even my 4 year doesn't want to use the iPad 1 any longer because of occasional crashes. He calls it junky. Santa brought him an iPad mini and he couldn't be happier with it.

I've had an iPhone 4 since release. It recently started getting slow and sluggish. I bought an iPhone 5 the day before yesterday. I couldn't be happier with the improvements.

Also I think you have to realize that for some people these devices are very expensive and upgrading from one gen to the next is financially hard. For others money really isn't an issue and they like to have to newest products. All depends.

aBlondeMoment

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I can't speak for anyone else, I upgraded from iPad 1 to iPad3 for two reasons:

1... I wanted a camera in mine so I could facetime with my daughter and take pictures of my artwork. Neither of which could be achieved in iPad 1 since it has no camera.
2... I was getting completely frustrated Safari closing darn near every time I used it, due to a glitch in iPad1.

so I gave my iPad1 to hubby and he bought me a new one.

intillzah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded to an Ipad Mini because I wanted to, I don't have any vices left anymore (don't drink, smoke, or some other stuff) so this is an outlet for me. And not to mention that I have something nice to show for it.

teralpar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would have kept my iPad 2 had it not been for the iPad Mini release. I was drawn to the smaller size.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
"The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys."

No one NEEDS an iPad of any vintage, they're all just toys that bring a little joy into our lives. If the folks who can afford it didn't buy the latest phones and tablets, they'd just spend the money on something even less useful...which is what money is for, after all, once life's essentials are covered.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

MadJoe86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys."

No one NEEDS an iPad of any vintage, they're all just toys that bring a little joy into our lives. If the folks who can afford it didn't buy the latest phones and tablets, they'd just spend the money on something even less useful...which is what money is for, after all, once life's essentials are covered.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Well said. You never know what's better until you take a plunge and try something new IMO.

Sent from my iPad 4 using iPF

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I upgraded from 2 to 4. Passed the 2 over to Dad. And i use it to take notes for my novel. It's great for work, not just play.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Lot of the new iPad purchases are irrational.

absolutely. but there are tons and tons of Apple fanboys out there that just must have all latest upgrades whatever the cost. stupidity. but that's their prerogative and free choice, and Apple greatly profit from this. and they know it.
and it's not just Apple.

personally, i dont have a laptop or even a mobile phone (i do have super powerful desktop computers for work purposes, but...) - all my entertainment and media life is conducted through my ipad2. i think the next ipad upgrade, ie, ipad 5, will be significantly thinner, lighter and so much more highly specc'd than the 2 that it'll certainly be worth a punt. but then again, i must convince the wife it's a good thing to spend valuable household expenses on ;) (so probably a no go :( )

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Still enjoying my iPad 2. :)

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Right. I guess we are following the rules and waiting long enough between buys. :)

I do get what the OP is saying but I've seen the same type of behavior for just about every product type and hobby. Heck, I've re-bought blu rays because of an audio track update. That makes me a clown too, lol.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's no bad purchasing reason for Apple products if you can afford them without straining your resources. Needs can be totally artificial with electronics and computing devices and life itself does not require them for most of us but it sure makes it more enjoyable at times.

I usually run my devices until they fail or become useless. With Apple making the iOS series of devices so similar in function its tempting to buy them all and I do but one generation off for each. One year an iPad, the next an iPod Touch, an iPad Mini etc. Next, the iWatch...

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
People upgrade because Apple has us under their control. They're going to rule the earth by next year so if that's the case why not have the latest Apple tech huh no it's not a conspiracy theory it's true it's so frickin true we're all doomed we're all DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!! Disclaimer-The above post is the opinions of a blabbering lunatic named iJamesH. There is no truth to what he said just an irrational stupid outcry. All rights reserved!

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded from iPad 1 to iPad 4 because I wanted one with a camera and browsing the web with IOS5 was a real pain, the processor just couldn't handle the extra demand of the OS. Having multiple tabs open in Safari and using google for instance, was getting to be a typing nightmare waiting for the text input to catch up with my typing, the new one is noticeably lighter too.

I agree with what you say though, I stubbornly held out as long as I could, my biggest annoyance now is the change to the lightning connector, I can't use my iPod/iPad charging dock now.

Most reactions