What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do people buy paid apps when free ones offers same/better features?

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are loads of paid todo/notepad/sketch/drawing/news reader etc. apps in appstore when there are similar featured free ones.

Why do people buy those paid apps? Is it because people do not bother to search in app store properly??

PS: I understand there are some paid apps which are quite unique but I'm mainly talking about general purpose apps.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
In my experience the paid apps really are, in general, better than the free ones on the iPad.

For instance, I love to paint and draw. You show me a free app or 2 similar in quality as say SketchBook Pro or ProCreate?

Ms office stuff, ie, excel and word - show me a freebe that, not only does what the equivalent paid versions do, but that work in the first place?

Still yet to find a free office organiser app that does the job.

This is not lack of research I assure you, and I'm only talking general apps here too.

And another thing you might like to consider, the paid apps are usually more polished and finished to a nicer look and feel, ergo making the user experience that little bit better even if they do the same as their free cousins, and there's so many peeps out there, me included, that think nothing of spending a buck or 2, and that's generally all it is, on apps.

Not everyone had the ipad as a gift, or is a kid, student or unemployed person that can't afford apps. Most of us bought the iPad out of their own means, and if you can afford that then you can afford the apps to go with them. It's like buying a Ferrari and complaining about the cost of the petrol.

I'd much prefer a paid app than it's free brother generally just for that reason alone.

There are those of course who stead fast refuse to buy apps when they can strive to find a free one, and if they can't they only complain at the cost of the paid ones. I've not got much time of day for this argument.

Last edited:

Thanhdao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using free apps and paid apps. I think some of paid apps sometimes worth to pay for. Just make sure you read the rate and review and consider the use in your situation. Free apps are also good but it have limit ability.

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are loads of paid todo/notepad/sketch/drawing/news reader etc. apps in appstore when there are similar featured free ones.

Why do people buy those paid apps? Is it because people do not bother to search in app store properly??

PS: I understand there are some paid apps which are quite unique but I'm mainly talking about general purpose apps.

If it's in your budget to be able to pay someone for their work why WOULDN'T you?

If someone does a good job with something I have no issues giving them a buck or two in appreciation.

Thanhdao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pingles said:
If it's in your budget to be able to pay someone for their work why WOULDN'T you?

If someone does a good job with something I have no issues giving them a buck or two in appreciation.

I agree with this. That is not expensive to spend a few dollar to try

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will pay for an app because hopefully the author is motivated by the income he/she is making from the app sales to continue updating the app. Many apps just fall by the wayside when a new iOS version comes out that renders the apps useless until the app is updated, so I want an app that has continual support.

Hdchiky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometimes you have to put up with a lot of Ads on the free apps or they sucker you in with the FREE thingy and you find you need to buy other apps to make it work better - do more - etc. A lot of times I will install the FREE, check it out - then go buy the $.99 or $1.99+ app thinking it will do more for me.

Chiky

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All of the above and anyway, if you never buy your apps, how would you know if the free ones were better? I always use free first, common sense really and if I feel the paid one looks better, I'll buy that, I have equal paid And free apps on iTunes so I know what I'm talking about. Sometimes I wish more apps had lite versions you can update to paid but hey ho, that's life and you learn from your mistakes!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jbcn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Free apps are a good start

I have owned the IPAD for four months and have downloaded many apps...I pay for them outright when there is no free version...but always try the free version first...if it meets all my needs I don't look for the better mouse trap.

Of some 30 apps purchased, I have only been disappointed with features in paid upgrades once or twice....they are usually much better/more versatile than the free app.

Playing the IPAD apps is a fun game of research and due-diligence that pays off.

Surboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is not such a thing as a free lunch...paid for apps are most of the time superior and at least advert free.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com

In general, it is nice to be able to view a free version of an app before purchasing the full blown paid version. But I have to echo sjlesworthy's sentiments about the paid apps being fuller, better apps. Free apps are great for those on a budget but for me I'd rather have the full version without the commercials, restrictions, and/or all the levels or features, etc.

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reviews are not always the way to tell about the value of an app. The more a person pays for an app, the more criticism they will express about its failures. A free app that is so-so, can be higher rated because the user has nothing invested in it.

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I get your point but each app must be valued separately, surely? You can't generalise. It would be a help if you gave particular examples of a free app being better or equal to paid one.

I'm more cautious about the amount of space the app takes up - to me the cost of the most expensive app I've seen still seems reasonable. But I don't want to fill my ipad with stuff I don't need - bells and whistles and thing. Like spreadsheets - I just need a simple numeric one for my business accounts. Graphs, graphics, and inserts I don't need. I could probably get along fine with a simple, freebie, vanilla basic.

But I'd be interested in getting the best artwork app money can buy because they'd be no end to the possibilties and ways to go. On that I don't mind burning a bit of money.

But I don't get why people buy a stylus when fingers come for free. They're better, feel better, and you never forget where you left it.. I know I read folk have issues with fingermarks on the screen - but you can't see them when it's on, can you?

good discussion topic, mobi.

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reviews are not always the way to tell about the value of an app. The more a person pays for an app, the more criticism they will express about its failures. A free app that is so-so, can be higher rated because the user has nothing invested in it.

Interesting point, Seadog. but would you really over-rate a free app that was so-so? I think I wouldn't even bother rating it at all.

the thing I don't like about reviews is the sense of urgency that reviews and ratings need to be obtained. Eg. Flipboard - I only had the app a day and the next day I was asked to rate it. I mean, it looked all right but how do I know if it's any good after just a day?

(I hate those reviews for cameras on amazon where you get some bod giving it 5 stars and saying, I've had this camera three days and I'm sooo excited, it's absolutely brilliant! I secretly hope it breaks down on the seventh day).

there should be a law which says sellers can't ask for and customers can't submit reviews until at least a month after the sale. then objectivity will prevail.

Most reactions

Latest posts