1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Why do people buy paid apps when free ones offers same/better features?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by mobi1, May 5, 2011.

1. mobi1

mobi1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    There are loads of paid todo/notepad/sketch/drawing/news reader etc. apps in appstore when there are similar featured free ones.

Why do people buy those paid apps? Is it because people do not bother to search in app store properly??

PS: I understand there are some paid apps which are quite unique but I'm mainly talking about general purpose apps.
  2. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    In my experience the paid apps really are, in general, better than the free ones on the iPad.

For instance, I love to paint and draw. You show me a free app or 2 similar in quality as say SketchBook Pro or ProCreate?

Ms office stuff, ie, excel and word - show me a freebe that, not only does what the equivalent paid versions do, but that work in the first place?

Still yet to find a free office organiser app that does the job.

This is not lack of research I assure you, and I'm only talking general apps here too.

And another thing you might like to consider, the paid apps are usually more polished and finished to a nicer look and feel, ergo making the user experience that little bit better even if they do the same as their free cousins, and there's so many peeps out there, me included, that think nothing of spending a buck or 2, and that's generally all it is, on apps.

Not everyone had the ipad as a gift, or is a kid, student or unemployed person that can't afford apps. Most of us bought the iPad out of their own means, and if you can afford that then you can afford the apps to go with them. It's like buying a Ferrari and complaining about the cost of the petrol.

I'd much prefer a paid app than it's free brother generally just for that reason alone.

There are those of course who stead fast refuse to buy apps when they can strive to find a free one, and if they can't they only complain at the cost of the paid ones. I've not got much time of day for this argument.
    Last edited: May 5, 2011
  3. Thanhdao

Thanhdao iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been using free apps and paid apps. I think some of paid apps sometimes worth to pay for. Just make sure you read the rate and review and consider the use in your situation. Free apps are also good but it have limit ability.
  4. Pingles

Pingles iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If it's in your budget to be able to pay someone for their work why WOULDN'T you?

If someone does a good job with something I have no issues giving them a buck or two in appreciation.
  5. Thanhdao

Thanhdao iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with this. That is not expensive to spend a few dollar to try
  6. GlenL

GlenL iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I will pay for an app because hopefully the author is motivated by the income he/she is making from the app sales to continue updating the app. Many apps just fall by the wayside when a new iOS version comes out that renders the apps useless until the app is updated, so I want an app that has continual support.
  7. Sillysheri

Sillysheri iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I always appreciate the free version to try it out, but if you use and like it then you pay for it. Thats only fair.
  8. Hdchiky

Hdchiky iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Sometimes you have to put up with a lot of Ads on the free apps or they sucker you in with the FREE thingy and you find you need to buy other apps to make it work better - do more - etc. A lot of times I will install the FREE, check it out - then go buy the $.99 or $1.99+ app thinking it will do more for me.

Chiky
  9. Hayles66

Hayles66 iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +320 / 0
    All of the above and anyway, if you never buy your apps, how would you know if the free ones were better? I always use free first, common sense really and if I feel the paid one looks better, I'll buy that, I have equal paid And free apps on iTunes so I know what I'm talking about. Sometimes I wish more apps had lite versions you can update to paid but hey ho, that's life and you learn from your mistakes!

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  10. jbcn

jbcn iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Free apps are a good start

I have owned the IPAD for four months and have downloaded many apps...I pay for them outright when there is no free version...but always try the free version first...if it meets all my needs I don't look for the better mouse trap.

Of some 30 apps purchased, I have only been disappointed with features in paid upgrades once or twice....they are usually much better/more versatile than the free app.

Playing the IPAD apps is a fun game of research and due-diligence that pays off.
  11. Surboy

Surboy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is not such a thing as a free lunch...paid for apps are most of the time superior and at least advert free.
  12. The Alternative

The Alternative iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    In general, it is nice to be able to view a free version of an app before purchasing the full blown paid version. But I have to echo sjlesworthy's sentiments about the paid apps being fuller, better apps. Free apps are great for those on a budget but for me I'd rather have the full version without the commercials, restrictions, and/or all the levels or features, etc.
    Last edited: May 5, 2011
  13. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    Reviews are not always the way to tell about the value of an app. The more a person pays for an app, the more criticism they will express about its failures. A free app that is so-so, can be higher rated because the user has nothing invested in it.
  14. ian russell

ian russell iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I get your point but each app must be valued separately, surely? You can't generalise. It would be a help if you gave particular examples of a free app being better or equal to paid one.

I'm more cautious about the amount of space the app takes up - to me the cost of the most expensive app I've seen still seems reasonable. But I don't want to fill my ipad with stuff I don't need - bells and whistles and thing. Like spreadsheets - I just need a simple numeric one for my business accounts. Graphs, graphics, and inserts I don't need. I could probably get along fine with a simple, freebie, vanilla basic.

But I'd be interested in getting the best artwork app money can buy because they'd be no end to the possibilties and ways to go. On that I don't mind burning a bit of money.

But I don't get why people buy a stylus when fingers come for free. They're better, feel better, and you never forget where you left it.. I know I read folk have issues with fingermarks on the screen - but you can't see them when it's on, can you?

good discussion topic, mobi.
  15. ian russell

ian russell iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Interesting point, Seadog. but would you really over-rate a free app that was so-so? I think I wouldn't even bother rating it at all.

the thing I don't like about reviews is the sense of urgency that reviews and ratings need to be obtained. Eg. Flipboard - I only had the app a day and the next day I was asked to rate it. I mean, it looked all right but how do I know if it's any good after just a day?

(I hate those reviews for cameras on amazon where you get some bod giving it 5 stars and saying, I've had this camera three days and I'm sooo excited, it's absolutely brilliant! I secretly hope it breaks down on the seventh day).

there should be a law which says sellers can't ask for and customers can't submit reviews until at least a month after the sale. then objectivity will prevail.
  16. madsquabbles

madsquabbles iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i know this is a bit OT but i find it kinda odd that dev's will charge by the resolution on some apps. i don't recall any specific examples but, the "HD" version is sometimes nothing more than the same program pulling different textures or coded to scale. granted some are full remixes instead of res'ed up versions.

what if apple and ms started charging by the resolution?

on the other hand i always laugh a little when some cries about $10 being too much for a game/program. makes you wonder if they've ever bought a program for their pc/mac.

i have very few free apps as most that i've used have been for trial purposes. the paid apps i've bought have no real competition on the free side.
  17. wytey

wytey iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    not to mention that you can upscale the iphone app on the iPad natively
  18. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +427 / 0
    If some one buys nintendo ds and then pays $30 $40 or more for a game and does not like it it is expensive If I decide to spend $3 or $5 on a game or App it frankly is a small price to pay. I have purchased many apps and in a most cases I am more than happy with the results.
    I find some of the free apps have poor design and in the case of games boring. I believe you get what you pay for and considering I am sharing all purchases on 3 devices it is excellent value
  19. wytey

wytey iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    there are some free apps which are really good, but in general, the paid apps are not only better, but also have better support if you have issues or problems
  20. mobi1

mobi1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Everyone's requirement is unique, so my observation may not tally with someone else, so apologies in advance.

I use following apps for various tasks and I found them very good and when I read the description of some paid apps, I did wonder why people buy them.

Here is my favorite list

Sketchbook Express - very powerful sketch app (I do understand Sketchbook Pro offers more but some other paid apps doesn't seem offer comparable free features).

Adobe Ideas - my 2nd favorite, quite good

Simplenote/Plain text/Notekata - there are many paid text editors!

Team Viewer HD - why someone needs paid Logme in?

Terra web, atomic lite - why someone needs a paid browser (when you get Safari too for free)?

Springpad - works fine offline. But Evernote works only for premium customers!

Gotasks, wunderlist, Neatlist, Jotlist - works beautifully. Why one needs to pay for a todo list?? (Springpad and free outliners can also offer todo list) GoTasks/Jotlist offer nested lists as well. Jot list can even do a summation of amounts!

Idea Sketch - so cool for flowcharts.

Sundry notes - text, sketch/draw, record audio, multiple pages etc. Quite good for note taking

Flipboard, Zite, Pulse etc. - wonderful news/magazines. What paid ones do better?

Tune in radio - yes, they have a paid version too but free one is wonderful

I'm leaving games altogether because that's completely different segment.