What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do most of the office document related apps with such terrible ratings?

Vulpix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was checking out Documents to Go, QuickOffice, Numbers, etc and I notice most of them have horrible ratings. Is there no decent app with decent ratings for opening xls/doc/ppt files?

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no there isn't universal best app such as Microsoft office suite. each of the above apps has its pluses and minuses. i personally like Pages because the layout is more like MS office and I get a really nice typing experience. People hate pages (or shall i say apple?) for not allowing Pages to sync with Google docs. They want you to sync with iWorks or MobileMe.
Documents to go allows you to sync with everything but people don't like it because of the layout. Although a lot of users don't mind the awkward way that this app is designed and love it.
QuickOffice seems to be intermediate with layout not as bad as Documents to Go and also allows you to save to Google docs.

Personally after doing days of research and watching lots of youtube videos I went with pages. I don't use Google Docs, for the past 10 years I've been sending myself documents via email and that's where i keep them as a back up so Pages was my logical choice and I gave it 4 stars.

OP
V

Vulpix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no there isn't universal best app such as Microsoft office suite. each of the above apps has its pluses and minuses. i personally like Pages because the layout is more like MS office and I get a really nice typing experience. People hate pages (or shall i say apple?) for not allowing Pages to sync with Google docs. They want you to sync with iWorks or MobileMe.
Documents to go allows you to sync with everything but people don't like it because of the layout. Although a lot of users don't mind the awkward way that this app is designed and love it.
QuickOffice seems to be intermediate with layout not as bad as Documents to Go and also allows you to save to Google docs.

Personally after doing days of research and watching lots of youtube videos I went with pages. I don't use Google Docs, for the past 10 years I've been sending myself documents via email and that's where i keep them as a back up so Pages was my logical choice and I gave it 4 stars.

I'm currently using Documents to Go as I do not own a Mac, and Numbers was lacking when it came to selecting formulas. I guess I will own Number eventually.

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
The real issue is that the iPad is not a full fledged computer and people will always complain when it doesn't do everything that a full computer does. Even my netbook with a fast hard drive and 2 GB of ram slows down when I am dealing with medium to large spreadsheets. But there will always be people that think they should be able to manipulate 10,000 cell spreadsheets just like they do on their computer.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMO the reason why they dont have 5 stars ratings. is user expect too much.

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I totally agree with you. And often ignorant people do the bad rating as they can't seem to find things that aren't presented directly with a shiny icon On the interface and think "okay now this is bulls**t and my money is wasted so let's take some good revenge here."

But that's just my opinion based on several great apps and games I have used with worse ratings ever. :)

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ummm seriously... No.
Allowing to save to google docs is not expecting too much. I'm tired of people constantly defending apples arrogance. And yes iPad is a computer. It is more limited than a netbook or laptop but certainly it is a computer.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ummm seriously... No.
Allowing to save to google docs is not expecting too much. I'm tired of people constantly defending apples arrogance. And yes iPad is a computer. It is more limited than a netbook or laptop but certainly it is a computer.

My point is that most people would have wanted the Ipad to replace the conventional laptop and desktop. Ipad has it's limitations too. Even a BT cruiser cant compare to a home.

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My point is that most people would have wanted the Ipad to replace the conventional laptop and desktop. Ipad has it's limitations too. Even a BT cruiser cant compare to a home.
Yes Ipad has it's limitations and I came aware of them before I bought that device. Honestly if I want it to work like a laptop all I have to do is jailbreak it but that is besides the point. And while iPad is crippled there is no reason and again NO reason to cripple it's software. Pages is intentionally crippled by apple and people have 100% right to be dissatisfied with it. Personally I have given pages 4/5 because I don't care about saving to google docs but I can completely understand users who gave it a big zero!

Scavenger123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The real issue is that the iPad is not a full fledged computer and people will always complain when it doesn't do everything that a full computer does. Even my netbook with a fast hard drive and 2 GB of ram slows down when I am dealing with medium to large spreadsheets. But there will always be people that think they should be able to manipulate 10,000 cell spreadsheets just like they do on their computer.

At this time I am more concerned that the 10,000+ cell spreadsheet opens and runs as quickly on the Ipad as it does on my Windows phone. In my case 525,000 cells. (35,000 rows, 15 columns, no formulas or merges, just data). About 7 seconds to load on my phone but I can also multitask and keep it running in the background for instant access. This answer to this question is my #1 roadblock to purchasing the Ipad. Anyone game to test the file for me?

Most reactions

Latest posts