Why do I need iPhone data?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by MoneyGuy, Dec 29, 2012.

1. MoneyGuy

MoneyGuy iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I have an iPad and an unlocked iPhone5. My iPad is almost always with me so I took data off of the iPhone (virtually never used it). I added it back on recently and have not used the iPhone for data. I've always had a data package on my iPad.

With data in my iPad and iPhone wifi, why do I need a data package on the iPhone? Would you put data on the iPhone? iPad data was all i needed ($15 for 250 mb) but I'm paying much more now for the iPad data package.

I do get other things for the cost, including unlimited talk and texting plus data sharing between the two devices.

Cost now is $91 versus $15 before for 250 mb.

I'm inclined to take the data off the iPhone again as I don't seem to need it. I'm sure someone will say why have a smart phone if I don't have a data package, but I don't see the point. Illprobablyntrynitthis way for a couple of months then decide.
  2. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
    Ratings:
    +602 / 0
    If it was me I would do it in reverse. Get a decent data plan for the iPhone ( including tethering ) and cancel the data plan on the iPad.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  3. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    You didn't say you got your iPhone off contract, which makes a huge difference in responding to this question. If you paid full price and you don't want data, then cancel it. But otherwise, your carrier requires you to have a data plan. That's the real reason you need it. Frankly, I'd rather it data on my iPad than my phone, but until I get a phone off contract, I will have a plan.
  4. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    If you don't need data, don't buy it. Seems straightforward to me. Like AQ said, if your phone was subsidized, you'll need to figure that out.