What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do I have to still manually update some apps?

Expidia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even though under the App store I have auto update on?
This AM I had "the Drudge Report" awaiting and update. Yesterday another App needed a manual update to.

OP
E

Expidia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
I always have to update my apps. I didn't even know there was a manual update!

You're probably right. Now that I went back and System>General>Store . . . what I had switched to "on" says downloaded apps. I took that to mean automatic updates.

On my Droid in the market place (their app store) there is a setting to automatically update apps so I don't have to see their daily annoying notifications alerts. Why go through through the motions of having to put in my apple ID each and every time?

What's even more annoying is that I have to keep updating apps like the Apple bloatware apps that I don't even use.

Oh well, maybe with the next OS update or fix I can do it.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Agree w/ Marie - when updates are available, the Apple app simply shows the number available, opens, and then you select to update the apps desired (I typically do then all) - I would say that this notification is kind of 'semi-automatic', i.e. you're told apps can be updated but you still have to OK those updates - this is the same w/ most OS (e.g. Windows updates on my laptop although choices are available) - I guess the question is whether one wants some control over which updates are applied, so a personal decision - :)

lopakalolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my iPod touch, it gives me an option called "Update All" which means that I only have to enter a password one time. With the iPad 2, I have to enter the password each time for each update and that is a pain. Does the iPad 2 have the same option as the iPod Touch, seems like it would.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What's even more annoying is that I have to keep updating apps like the Apple bloatware apps that I don't even use.

The preinstalled apps do not update through the store. They only get updated when you update the OS.

I had a Droid X for a while, and used the auto update ability. It was mostly convenient, but there were drawbacks too. You know, the app that breaks with the new update, and the surprise upon opening a frequently used app and finding out the UI was completely changed without warning. Still, I agree it would be nice if a person had a choice; and since I've often updated all without looking at what has changed it's not like I've never been surprised by an Apple update either.

Of course, after a few of those surprises (even back on the Droid X) I've gotten a lot more cautious about checking things out before tapping those treacherous update buttons. For the important apps, anyway.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
On my iPod touch, it gives me an option called "Update All" which means that I only have to enter a password one time. With the iPad 2, I have to enter the password each time for each update and that is a pain. Does the iPad 2 have the same option as the iPod Touch, seems like it would.

Yes there is an Update All button. It's at the top right of the screen when you are in the update tab in the App Store.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're having to update one at a time is it possible you haven't updated to iOS 5? If you haven't the apps that require iOS5 to update will stay in the queue and not allow you to "Update All". A minor pain until, like I did the other day, you pick up your iPad to find 53 apps that need updating. :(

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
I am not on iOS 5 and I can "up date all" in the app store!

Do you have any apps that require iOS5 to update? If so do they stay in your update queue when new ones are added? If you have this I'd love to know how you bypass them to update all the others. Because every time I've tried "Update All" I get "This app requires iOS 5.0." and I'm forced to update individually. Please share your secret so I can save myself a bunch of time. :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would be nice if there were an option to auto-update, but I prefer not to, because I don't want to update some apps at times. (Like when I read about problems or a new interface that's got drawbacks.) I wish there were some way to disable the number alert in that case, so I don't have to keep seeing it.

Most reactions

Latest posts