What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why did you get an iPad?

Tonks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iPod but I got mine because mine is my gaming console. It is also useful. I take French at skool so I have ihandy translater.

Thanks
Tonks

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iam geting an ipad because i wanna just surf the web and do emails stuff i do with my desk top

OP
Tonks

Tonks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
U said getting? Wat r u on now. iPod? iPhone?

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
having bought my ip4 and running a small business, the attraction of getting the iPad2 for me is the consistent compatibility (i.e. against getting an android or wm tablet) of programs, and you buy say a business package, it is installed on both devices for the one price (M$ should take note).

having the iPad is also a degree if disaster recovery, if i loose my phone (which i did) i can buy a payg and use my iPad2 data to carry on.

other deal makers is the truly instant on, the battery life of about 10 hours for watching movies is just brill for those long plane trips.

my wife has an android LG 500 phone and a generic Android tablet, tbf for £65 of ebay it will do about 3.5 hours watching films and reading, but no where near the image quality, sort of old 405 tvl V Blueray - but she is happy lol!

high end androids may now be much better than earlier versions, but do in want to trust this assertion with my money? - no, they are also getting near the price of the ios devices which are renown for being thoir extreme reliable with very little lock ups from day one.

it has taken how long for Android to be of even a reasonable reliability? with M$ the jury is still out on their latest offering powering Nokia, blackberry enjoyed 2-3 years as a favoured business option but seem to me to have dropped behind and be heading left field, much as Nokia did by releasing very poor handset, so when spending this sort of money, i just can't see a reason not to play safe, even sensible and go Apple.

OP
Tonks

Tonks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for posting ipadbraincell

rtruett14

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got mine as a gift, but I wanted it because you can't "curl up" on the couch with your MacBook and the iPod isn't the most ideal device for web browsing.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Simple. My brother-in-law showed up for a visit with an iPad and my seven year old daughter was instantly hooked. The iPad didn't really fill a big technology "gap" in the household. It overlapped with my smartphone on one side and my two laptops on the other. And had I been purchasing it purely for my own requirements, it wouldn't have come close to meeting them. A device along the lines of the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet or the ASUS tablet would have been a better choice since each has local storage expansion options and a file system that's considerably easier to work with without jailbreaking. On the other hand, the wealth of applications for kids on the iPad was a feature that none of the Android tablets could match. And since the iPad is a "family" device that my daughter loves, that was the deciding factor.

As it turns out, the iPad has also turned out to be very useful in my business travel. Previously I had carried a small 11" notebook when I flew simply because fitting a 15"+ laptop on a tray table crammed into a middle seat in coach was an impossibility. The iPad combined with an Origami Workstation and Apple Wireless keyboard is considerably more convenient than the notebook. And though it lacks the multiple windows of the notebook and true multitasking, it's quite adequate for long flights especially given the excellent battery life.

If I were facing the decision today, I'm not sure I'd make the same choice. We now have a Kindle Fire in the household and its even more portable than the iPad. For content consumption it comes close to the iPad, even with the smaller screen. Today I might well select a the KF and a 13" ultrabook for travel, enabling me to ditch the heavy laptop on trips. But one always has to make technology decisions based on what's available at the time and the iPad has been a good purchase.

I certainly won't be tempted by the iPad 3, at least based on rumors of its features. I see no point in a retina display on a device that still can display only one window at a time. And on a 10" screen, displaying multiple windows is simply silly imo. More processing power is largely wasted on a device whose operating system is essentially designed for a phone so I wouldn't be tempted by the a quad core processor even if it's included (which according to most rumors it won't be.)

All in all, the iPad has been a great success in the household. My daughter loves it. It can be stretched to support at least some content creation. And that makes it worth the premium price over the KF for my purposes.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Mine is basically a toy for me.

It totally runs my business and social life for me, but that's something I can live without if pushed. I got an iPad basically because I just wanted one. I loved the ipad2 styling when it was released. I wanted to be able to surf the web wherever I was, I wanted to use Skype, I wanted to draw pics, make music, watch dvd's etcetcetc. I have an old iPod touch, but I was certainly due an update. I still love the iPhone/touch, but, after using the iPad, I CAN'T STAND going back to a small screen anymore.

Best barrel full of cash I ever spent

Last edited:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mostly so I would have a portable system that I could easily take with me and use anywhere. I also like gadgets and techy stuff so it served the nerd in me too. Laptops, while more powerful than any tablet are just too bulky and have dodgy battery life. No way around it.

Lovin it :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wanted a tablet for years, and iPad was the first one that was functional enough for me.

I knew tablets were going to be great eventually because of their form factor, but someone had to get software and interface right. There's still plenty of room for improvement, but iPad is a good start.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought my iPad 1 to replace the notebook sitting on my coffee table mainly for use as a web browser.

It can run for hours on one charge, no wires, no keyboard, instant start up, no moving parts that are sensitive to bumps.

I have tried to push it further as a complete notebook replacement but it can't do that, nor is it designed to.

Next time around if ultra books are under $1,000, have good battery life and startup from standby in 15 seconds or less, I might consider them instead of a tablet.

steviep53

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got mine because Steve Jobs said I needed one...:)

Seriously though, I attended a course where all study material was on the iPad, after that I was hooked.

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bought an iPad 1 when they came out because I thought it was cool and am a devoted Apple fan. Did I need one? No. I did want an eReader though so the iPad made more sense than a standalone reader as it can do a heck of a lot more. Once I started using the original iPad I was hooked. Upgraded to an iPad 2 when it came out. Very glad I did.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
for me one downside is when i visit clients, i use the iPad2 to show goods and demo's but the ipad itself drags away the clients attention span.

instead of me flogging them my services - i end up flogging them the iPad mantra way of lifelol

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my iPad 2 last summer and was hooked. Then in October my phone contract was up so I upgraded to the iPhone 4s (seemed like the thing to do) and now I would never have one without the other. They work so well together and are great for traveling..

Most reactions

Latest posts