What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why cant i totally delete free purchased books in ibooks?

Marc70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can make them disappear from the book shelf, but not the purchased books shelf.
Some of these books I do not wish others to see what I've read.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can make them disappear from the book shelf, but not the purchased books shelf. Some of these books I do not wish others to see what I've read.
While you can't completely remove items from your iBooks purchased list, you can hide purchased items so that they do not appear in your list of purchased books.

To do so, go to the purchased books list in the purchase history of the iTunes Store on your computer. Select the book you wish to hide by moving the pointer over it. An X will appear to the upper left of the book, click on it and you will see a pop up that asks if you are sure that you want to hide the purchase. Click on hide and the book will be removed from the purchased list. The next time you sync your iPad with iTunes on your computer, the selected book will disappear from the list of purchased books in your iBooks app.

If you ever decide you want it to become visible again, log into your account in iTunes on your computer and look for hidden purchases in the iTunes in the cloud section. Click on the manage link and select the books section. Select the desired hidden book and click on unhide and the item will again appear in your purchased books history. image-896798101.jpg image-818997387.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Marc70

Marc70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so tried all that.
I did manage to remove, or hide, the purchase on the pc in iTunes, but cannot remove or hide these purchases in iBooks, even though there's an edit and delete button.
I had the ipad synced and everything, but still no luck.
Kinda frustrating.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so tried all that. I did manage to remove, or hide, the purchase on the pc in iTunes, but cannot remove or hide these purchases in iBooks, even though there's an edit and delete button. I had the ipad synced and everything, but still no luck. Kinda frustrating.
you could try deleting the app from your iPad, then downloading it again. See if that works.

OP
Marc70

Marc70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, tried that already. Didn't work.
Can't believe with all the neat things I can do with ipad, that i cannot totally delete a book from the ibooks.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't want to see the purchased books in iBooks, go to Settings - iBooks and disable "Show all purchases", in case you haven't already done so.

OP
Marc70

Marc70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you don't want to see the purchased books in iBooks, go to Settings - iBooks and disable "Show all purchases", in case you haven't already done so.

Wow. THAT'S what I needed.
Thanks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only problem that I can see with this method is that anyone with access to your iPad can go into settings and turn on show all purchases for iBooks. There's not much chance of it actually happening, though.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In addition: they are still visible in iBooks Store - Purchased. When you tap "Store" in iBooks, you get there.

OP
Marc70

Marc70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In addition: they are still visible in iBooks Store - Purchased. When you tap "Store" in iBooks, you get there.
****! Shoulda never "bought" those free books.
I'm NOT gay, I was just curious.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Go to Apple iTunes support (not tech support) and ask them to delete the books from your account. Chances are they will do so without any more comment than to warn you that you will not be able to download them again without paying.

Apple - Support - iTunes - Contact Us

Though it is sad that you or anyone has to worry about what shows on their bookshelf. Anyone who decides to judge me based on a book I chose to buy can take their friendship elsewhere.

Last edited:

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would worry about anyone not brave enough to read titles outside of their comfort zone. Books are for expanding your mind and you cannot do that if you keep to 'safe' ones.

Most reactions

Latest posts