What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why cant i buy the hunger games on ibook???

catarina4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any reason why can't we buy the hunger games series on iBooks? Such a popular series! That sucks....

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
They can only sell what the publishers offer.

You can always buy Kindle books from Amazon and use the Kindle app. They have a wider selection.

And there are lots of other ebook sellers and apps. That's the beauty of the iPad as a book reader. Most ebook readers are locked into one store. The iPad has all the big ones, and dozens of smaller alternatives. :)

The downside is library fragmentations, as most books can only be read on that seller's app. :(

GeorgieChyuu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But what if I can't sign up for amazon? That includes credit cards and a big mess :( iBooks goes from your store credit which I love.

GeorgieChyuu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Eh eh that's more money and I have 50 in my iTunes. Oh well. Thanks for the help :)

Bananapancakes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Publishers limit what they offer on any and possibly all platforms. Edited by Moderator - we strongly urge you to read our rules, such discussion here is not permitted... Although, it's always better to support the author.

Last edited by a moderator:

jhbrowning54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to agree. I saw the movie last night and now want to read the book. But not available on iBooks. Yes, I have the Kindle, Kono, Nook, Stanza, Google Books, etc. apps. They all suck as far as I am concerned. For the following reasons:

iBooks is the only e-books marketplace that has an integrated library and store. All other apps drop you into a browser. This is undoubtedly intentional on Apple's part, but still, it makes it far more convenient to buy books on iBooks than the other apps.

Suppose you download a sample of, say, a Nook book, you read the sample, and now want to buy it. You then click "Buy". You get dumped into Safari on the BN home page. Don't they know that you are reading The Hunger Games? Of course they do. But no, you have to search for The Hunger Games again, and then purchase the full book.

Then the thing that absolutely astounds me about how brain dead these guys are. If I read an iBook sample, then purchase it, when I download and open the full book it takes me right to where I left off so I can keep reading. Not the Nook app! No, nor the Kindle app either. They take you to the beginning of the book, and you get to flip through until you find out where you were. Great!

Then there is the beautiful interface of the iBooks app. It makes the Nook and Kindle apps look so plain by comparison. The nice animation when you flip pages. The nice bar at the bottom showing where you are. It is all just so beautifully done.

But, again, I cannot read The Hunger Games on iBooks. Grrr! I think I'll find something else to read.

jhbrowning54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One advantage of Kindle and Nook, though. Their libraries are available on all devices. I can read my Nook books on my iPad, iPhone, Mac, Nook, or whatever. My library is in the cloud. iBooks doesn't even have an app on the Mac. (Why not?) Also, if I purchase a book on my iPad it does not show up in my library on my iPhone. The book only exists on the iPad. I have always wondered why Apple did it this way, given the iCloud thing. But that's how it works.

My favorite book of all time, btw, is Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson which I have as a Nook book. I have read it many times. It is awesome!

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was disappointed too when iBooks didn't have Hunger Games. I wound up opening an Amazon account and installing the kindle app.

It is available as an audiobook in iBooks. I guess it's separate deals with the publisher.

Now Amazon has their hooks in me lol!

It's okay though I budget twenty bucks a month for iTunes and app purchase so now it gets shared with Amazon.

wholesalestunna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was disappointed too when iBooks didn't have Hunger Games. I wound up opening an Amazon account and installing the kindle app.

It is available as an audiobook in iBooks. I guess it's separate deals with the publisher.

Now Amazon has their hooks in me lol!

It's okay though I budget twenty bucks a month for iTunes and app purchase so now it gets shared with Amazon.

I use the kindle app too since I also have a kindle. I still prefer reading on my actual kindle, but the kindle app is great if Im in low light

Most reactions

Latest posts