What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are people dissing the rear camera?

OP
the_john

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As you can see, this one is much more clear than the one I uploaded to the forum. This was taken indoors (obviously). What I've noticed is that the lighting greatly affects the quality of stills from the rear camera. Pics taken outside, especially in bright sunshine, come out a lot clearer than pics taken indoors. But pics in the dark, forget about it.
The quality isn't all that bad if you ask me.
From what I hear though, to put a high quality still camera on the iPad would have meant sacrificing the new thinness of the device. That was the reason (at least what I remember reading from Apple) that they didn't put a still camera in that last iPod nano (the one with the video camera). The camera's unit was simply too thick to fit in the nano case. I would surmise they ran into the same problem with the iPad.
Left: original
Right: one I uploaded
cookies.jpg
1371d1300387035-why-people-dissing-rear-camera-image-2549464171.jpg

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, huge difference..lol Ipf resizing didn't do u justice. The actual pic looks very good. As long as u have good lighting, the ipad2 will take good pics. Some people to fixated on megapixel numbers or being nit picky cuz their delis or iPhone 4 has a 5 or 8 mp camera. More metalmarks doesn't "always" equate to better pix. Glad u able to post the real pic to show the doubters.
Those cookies look delicious by the way. What kind are they? ;-)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the_john said:
As you can see, this one is much more clear than the one I uploaded to the forum. This was taken indoors (obviously). What I've noticed is that the lighting greatly affects the quality of stills from the rear camera. Pics taken outside, especially in bright sunshine, come out a lot clearer than pics taken indoors. But pics in the dark, forget about it.
The quality isn't all that bad if you ask me.
From what I hear though, to put a high quality still camera on the iPad would have meant sacrificing the new thinness of the device. That was the reason (at least what I remember reading from Apple) that they didn't put a still camera in that last iPod nano (the one with the video camera). The camera's unit was simply too thick to fit in the nano case. I would surmise they ran into the same problem with the iPad.
Left: original
Right: one I uploaded

Yep, the new photo looks a lot tastier!

Your comments about camera size makes sense to me (which means three fifths of nothing!).

The Archangel

OP
the_john

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
What kind are they? ;-)
Peanut butter. I decided to finish it off with a batch of sugar cookies. Ended up baking over 12 dozen for the team.
My sister better appreciate it. :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Read somewhere that you can get better photos by clipping them from a video using that camera. Shame I can't remember where.
Personally I'd be happy with that camera as it done it's job. Got dslrs and compacts for the serious shots.
Too many people are caught up with irrelevant specs.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hasty said:
Read somewhere that you can get better photos by clipping them from a video using that camera. Shame I can't remember where.
Personally I'd be happy with that camera as it done it's job. Got dslrs and compacts for the serious shots.
Too many people are caught up with irrelevant specs.

True..people DO get hung up on specs.

Frame capture from a video just may be a way to get better stills out of that camera. Hmmm...

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get some really decent stills from my iPhone 4, believe it or not.

Michael

Cadena96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you guys have some shitty monitors...it's not grainy or anything, just small....

Most reactions