1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Why are people dissing the rear camera?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by the_john, Mar 17, 2011.

1. the_john

the_john iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's a picture I just took with it. I'm baking these cookies for the University of Alabama women's rowing team ( my sister is on it). I don't see why everyone is saying the quality is so crappy. Looks fine to me.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Attached Files:

2. the_john

the_john iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Okay, that's odd. I uploaded that same pic to Facebook and it's crystal clear.

3. pinaklonkar

pinaklonkar iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think it is basically tailored to be a video camera just as the front facing one. Just like your video camera does not shoot great stills, this one does not, either. It does shoot acceptable 720p quality videos from what I have seen so far.

It lacks focus of any sort, macro mode, and flash, the very basics of any camera found these days in any entry level smart phone.

Most people will never use that rear camera and I have no clue why they added one, giving people something to find flaws in. A simple 2 megapixel front facing camera for video calls should have been enough.

iPad should not be a digital camera, nor a video camera. I hope it does not try to become that.
  4. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    Those cookies look fine to me - if I give you my address I have a load of hungry kids here who would **absolutely** love those cookies.

I might have a few too.....

Tim
    Scotland
  5. lawhawk

lawhawk iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    Cookies look good, picture looks bad.
  6. the_john

the_john iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Apparently uploading a picture to the forum degrades the quality. As I said in my second post, I uploaded the same pic to Facebook and it's crystal clear.

7. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,913 / 1
    The iPF app automatically downsizes picture attachements. The picture looks worse than your Facebook one because it's only 311 x 233 pixels, about a third of what the camera actually took
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  8. the_john

the_john iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gotcha!

9. 1million

1million iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    The camera is decent to me. Of course my phone is better.
  10. Fifi1992

Fifi1992 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nice
  11. yvrgal

yvrgal iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Send me the cookies!! :)
  12. madhatter61

madhatter61 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Still vs Video ... are the cameras on iPAD 2 adequate?

Photography 101 for the uninitiated.

Perhaps a bit of psychology. With still digital photos, as resolution increases so does the detail. We all love sharp, crisp detail. In stills, we study every detail and can get critical depending upon our need for perfection. There are a lot of other factors, but not here, and now.

What is video ... it is a lot of stills, being rapidly presented at a rate faster than the human eye and brain system can follow. As the speed of change increases and if there are slight differences from one frame (stills)then our brain takes over and it looks to us like it is a continuous scene. Here we can tolerate a bit of lessor detail because we concentrate and are focussed on the changes. Early projectors ran around 18 FPS. Obviously 24 FPS is better.

IMHO, Apple chose to support the FaceTime feature which is a video sharing service between various Apple products. The iPAD2 camera system provides reasonably good video for sharing. :)

The front camera of course focusses on the originator, and the rear enables sharing of the view of what the originator is viewing.

I doubt Apple envisioned using the cameras for still photography ... IMHO... hope this helps clarifies a bit.

The cookies look good enough to eat.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  13. Bennettb

Bennettb iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0
    I was going to get the 2 for the rear facing camera. I want to be able to compare what's growing in my garden at different seasons. Didn't know it was for video. Does that mean still pictures don't work?
  14. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    A long while ago, I thought "Meh...who needs a rear-facing camera on the iPad?"

But then I started having many "Kodak moments" while doing something on my iPad and better cameras were nowhere nearby. THAT'S when I started wishing my iPad had SOME kind of camera on it. I've missed so many of those moments for lack of a camera on hand.

I have no intention of using the iPad 2 as a camera on a regular basis. That'd be dumb. Especially since I have a good point-and-shoot camera in my EVO 4G and a great Canon DSLR. But I don't always pack those items around with me, especially when I'm at HOME.

The MOST EFFECTIVE camera is the one that's already in your hand during a fleeting "Kodak moment". I'm happy the iPad 2 will have a camera-even a junky one at that. Now, I can relax on my deck and read a magazine/book or do some other stuff on the iPad without having to worry about hauling around my EVO or my DSLR to keep them handy for spontaneous photo opportunities.

I DO wish it was just a little bit better, though. A decent 3 or 5 megapixel camera couldn't have hurt the price line. But something is better than nothing.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF
  15. the_john

the_john iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Still pictures work just fine in bright light. I will put that pic on photobucket tomorrow so you can see the real quality.

16. the_john

the_john iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As you can see, this one is much more clear than the one I uploaded to the forum. This was taken indoors (obviously). What I've noticed is that the lighting greatly affects the quality of stills from the rear camera. Pics taken outside, especially in bright sunshine, come out a lot clearer than pics taken indoors. But pics in the dark, forget about it.
    The quality isn't all that bad if you ask me.
    From what I hear though, to put a high quality still camera on the iPad would have meant sacrificing the new thinness of the device. That was the reason (at least what I remember reading from Apple) that they didn't put a still camera in that last iPod nano (the one with the video camera). The camera's unit was simply too thick to fit in the nano case. I would surmise they ran into the same problem with the iPad.
    Left: original
    Right: one I uploaded
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  17. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Yeah, huge difference..lol Ipf resizing didn't do u justice. The actual pic looks very good. As long as u have good lighting, the ipad2 will take good pics. Some people to fixated on megapixel numbers or being nit picky cuz their delis or iPhone 4 has a 5 or 8 mp camera. More metalmarks doesn't "always" equate to better pix. Glad u able to post the real pic to show the doubters.
    Those cookies look delicious by the way. What kind are they? ;-)
  18. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    Yep, the new photo looks a lot tastier!

Your comments about camera size makes sense to me (which means three fifths of nothing!).

The Archangel
  19. the_john

the_john iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Peanut butter. I decided to finish it off with a batch of sugar cookies. Ended up baking over 12 dozen for the team.
    My sister better appreciate it. :)

20. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Read somewhere that you can get better photos by clipping them from a video using that camera. Shame I can't remember where.
    Personally I'd be happy with that camera as it done it's job. Got dslrs and compacts for the serious shots.
    Too many people are caught up with irrelevant specs.