What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are my synced photos black & white?

tomthbomb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I sync my photos from my IBM laptop to my iPad4 they are converted to black & white. What am I doing wrong?
BTW, all photos and videos I take with the iPad camera are in color.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What is the source of the photos? What format are they in? What method are you using to move/copy/sync them to the iPad?

Try emailing one of the problem photos to yourself on the iPad, save it to the Camera Roll. Is it still B&W?

OP
tomthbomb

tomthbomb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The source of the photos is the "pictures" file on my Windows 7 laptop.
They are jpg format.
I used the sync process between my laptop and the iPad to move them.

I emailed a photo to the iPad and saved it to Camera Roll as you suggested. It is there in all of its magnificent color.

Thanks for your interest. Do you have a suggestion how to get all of the photos to the iPad without having to email them?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The source of the photos is the "pictures" file on my Windows 7 laptop.
They are jpg format.
I used the sync process between my laptop and the iPad to move them.

I emailed a photo to the iPad and saved it to Camera Roll as you suggested. It is there in all of its magnificent color.

Thanks for your interest. Do you have a suggestion how to get all of the photos to the iPad without having to email them?

First, has your lightning cable any visible damage or has been misbehaving while charging? Have you tried the sync w/ another cable? Second, there are a number of wireless options for transferring images between a computer and an iDevice.

Let me just suggest several, e.g. an app that resides on both your iPad and your computer (I have the Apple OS X version on my laptop but there should be one for Windows) called PhotoSync has worked fine for me - now I've not transferred a large number of photos but worth a try. If you check the App Store, I'm sure there are other software offerings.

Also, there are several devices that permit wireless transfers by establishing their own Wi-Fi networks; the one that I use is called AirStash - check their website (and also Amazon - some good reviews there). Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The PhotoSync app that giradman suggests is the one that I use for copying photos between my devices and computers. There is a free companion app for your computer that makes it even easier to use. PhotoSync works well, but it won't create albums in the Photos app. It copies to the Camera Roll. Then again, unlike the iTunes synced photos, you can delete them directly on the iPad. iTunes albums can only be changed on the computer, then synced again for changes.

If you are looking for albums that you can manage completely on the iPad, then third party apps like Photo Manager Pro might be more along the lines of what you want to do. Or, if you don't mind a bit more work, the Shared Photo Stream option can create permanent albums in the Photos app. Unlike the basic Photo Stream, the shared ones are permanently stored in iCloud.

As for iTunes. It should not do this. It does optimize photos for viewing on the iPad, but that should be limited to downsizing larger photos. Make sure you are running the most recent version of iTunes and review your Photos sync settings to make sure you are pointing at the correct folder.

That's all I can think of.

OP
tomthbomb

tomthbomb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I determine that I am running the most recent version of iTunes? Does it not update itself? Also, please advise how I am pointing to any folder. All I can do is click on the sync function.

For a 24 year user of IBM os I have always been at a loss how Apple handles files.;)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iTunes does not update automatically. On a Mac you get a notification (in the Mac App Store) for updates, but I'm not familiar enough with Windows and iTunes to say whether you get a notification or not.

To check your current version, open iTunes, then select About iTunes in the first menu. Then go here. http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

It should auto-detect your OS and offer the correct version, but it it does not there will be a link to the Windows version on the left, about midway down the page.

On OS X, Apple handles files in the same folder kind of structure as Windows. The tools for browsing those folders are a bit different, but not greatly so. iOS, on the other hand, doesn't do folders, or more precisely, it limits an app's access to folders so that it can only see it's own resources and files. That will change somewhat with the introduction of iCloud Drive, later this or next month.

To change the Windows folder you are syncing, plug your iPad into the computer and select it in iTunes. Select the Photos sync options. To the right of the Sync checkbox there should be a choose box thing. You can change folders by interacting with it.

You can choose a folder with one level of subfolders. Only the first level of subfolders will sync. Each folder will become an album.

If you select the 'Selected Folders' option, you can choose which subfolders will be synced.

This screen shot will probably look a bit different, since it's from a Mac, but it should be close enough for reference. The oddness of the folders is because I no longer sync my photos through iTunes. I temporarily changed my settings for the screen shot.

SyncPhotoFolders.jpg

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On a Windows computer, you'll get a notification as well. The latest iTunes version is 11.4, it was released a few days ago.

This page should help looking at the version and/or updating: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5654

Last edited:

Most reactions