What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why an iPad if you have an iPhone?

Pargadox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm why ipad?
To get the same experience as on an iphone, just on an bigger scale. nothing special really :S

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I have both and don't always take iPad on the go, because of its size. I take my phone everywhere, and of course I still need a phone.

iPhone was my gateway drug to iPad. I fell hard for my first iPhone because of all it could do, but it's puny compared to iPad and isn't nearly as navigable for many things.

iPad is much better for Web surfing and navigation, for writing emails and notes (though I still use a laptop or PC for real writing, even though I have an Apple wireless keyboard for iPad). I use iPad for many other things, including news, Netflix, this forum, Skype and FaceTime, banking and investments, travel and travel planning, shopping, reading and signing documents from work, doing the occasional work presentation. I don't play games.

Reading is my primary pastime, and I read books on iPad for about 1.5 years, till I got my Kindle Fire, which is a more convenient size for me for books, especially on the go. I prefer its weight and size for hours of reading.

Me too!!! I don't have a kindle though. Just iPad and iPhone.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update From NYC using iPF

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can make phone calls on an iPad, but the best method, so far, is an app that you add a phone number and pay a $10 monthly fee. If you are always on the go, and take your iPad with you at all times, it can be a way to pay less, but there are no perfect solutions, because each one of us have different demands.

For eaxample, I spend less than $100/month for family phone service and unlimited iPad use. To go to any smart phone, my total would be between $170-200. My only reason to go to a smart phone is going to be lack of availabilty of a good flip phone, and replacement camera.

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tricon7 said:
I'm sure I'll inevitably get one, though it won't be soon due to financial considerations. I'm not sure I want to abandon real-paper books yet. News is fine, but it's not the same as holding an actual book in your hands. I guess books will soon be a thing of the past. :>((

I had a hard time giving up the actually book , but quickly got over that with the convince of just carry the iPad around, enlarging text if need be, it love it!

chiefES420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. Show off in class when I'm taking notes.
2. My iPhone was stolen awhile ago and I missed Apple's amazing Os.
3. Xfinity App is amazing

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the iPad first. The iPd came 3 months later. I use both for different things. Though I play the same games on both sometimes.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the iPad instead of a computer and use my phone when I'm at work, or around town. I don't carry my iPad with me unless I'm going on vacation. My phone does wonderful things for me and would chose it of I could only have one item.

Pargadox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when i buy my asus eeepad transformer prime i will use that one for documents, movies and games, and use my ipad as social, gaming and entertainment apps.

best of both worlds right? :p

Sent from my iPad 2 wifi 32gb (jailbreaked) using iPF

McTablet_T2C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I have both and don't always take iPad on the go, because of its size. I take my phone everywhere, and of course I still need a phone.

iPhone was my gateway drug to iPad. I fell hard for my first iPhone because of all it could do, but it's puny compared to iPad and isn't nearly as navigable for many things.

iPad is much better for Web surfing and navigation, for writing emails and notes (though I still use a laptop or PC for real writing, even though I have an Apple wireless keyboard for iPad). I use iPad for many other things, including news, Netflix, this forum, Skype and FaceTime, banking and investments, travel and travel planning, shopping, reading and signing documents from work, doing the occasional work presentation. I don't play games.

Reading is my primary pastime, and I read books on iPad for about 1.5 years, till I got my Kindle Fire, which is a more convenient size for me for books, especially on the go. I prefer its weight and size for hours of reading.

Hey

You mentioned that you still write on your desktop/laptop even though you have a wireless keyboard , and you could get a mouse also. What makes you still write on laptop/desktop. Is it cause all you stuff Is not on the iPad or is it a matter of convince ?

Just wondering, I do see laptops going away and tablets dock and wireless keyboard as replacement to laptops

I have an iPad and iPhone. Still work on my laptop , but that's mainly cause I needs Microsoft development env, quick access to USB, connection to other peripherals, etc. for gaming I only use my mean machine desktop pc.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey

You mentioned that you still write on your desktop/laptop even though you have a wireless keyboard , and you could get a mouse also. What makes you still write on laptop/desktop. Is it cause all you stuff Is not on the iPad or is it a matter of convince ?

Just wondering, I do see laptops going away and tablets dock and wireless keyboard as replacement to laptops

I have an iPad and iPhone. Still work on my laptop , but that's mainly cause I needs Microsoft development env, quick access to USB, connection to other peripherals, etc. for gaming I only use my mean machine desktop pc.

My work requires three monitors and two PCs. Even when I'm doing only limited work, I need a laptop to really type, mouse and cut and paste easily. No one at my company could do our jobs with a tablet. Many of us have them, but they're marginally useful. Just depends on each person's or company's needs.

Most reactions

Latest posts