What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why All The Restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fair enough, that seems to work ok for document files.

Now what about video files? Or any files that can't be opened in Good Reader?

Or what if I want to add notes to those files? Then what? No way to modify files in GoodReader.
Right. That's the part where the iPad still isn't quite there. While more apps are doing this (I notice that SplashMoney handles import & export this way), it would be better if this sort of thing were in the OS. If it were would you still want thumb drive access?

Currently, I'm doing those sorts of things with itunes and haven't experienced any particular pain in going this route, but I concede that approach will not always be convenient.

The USB port would have many more functions than just plugging in a thumb drive.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lets take Air Video for example, I can convert the video to watch later on when I don't have Wi-Fi, which is great. But it converts it, and then stores in on my desktop. If there was any portion of an open file system, Air Video would be able to convert it and then copy it to my iPad, all one simple easy step. But no, I have to open Air Video, convert the file, connect iPad to iTunes, copy the video into my iTunes library, go to the iPad in iTunes, go to Videos, select the new video to sync, hit sync, and then it can't just copy the video, it's gotta sync the entire iTunes library.
I'm not sure what AirPlay has to do with any of this as it was never designed to do what you are asking to do. It simply streams--and not to the iPad, from the iPad.

I think you are using the wrong tool for the job. I use Zumocast and it is free. With that I can access anything on my PC and play it on my iPad--no need to pre-convert. It streams great on WiFi, and good over 3G. If I like I can instead choose to download it to the iPad itself, where I can then play it any time I like--including in the air with no WiFi or Internet.

Where AirPlay would come in is if I want to take that same video and play it on my Apple TV. It works. On its own Apple TV could not play a WMV sitting on my iTunes PC unless it was converted beforehand and added to my iTunes library. But I can stream or save that same WMV to my iPad via Zumocast and then output it on my Apple TV.

Michael

neens_wa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really would like to connect to my Droid w/o havign to jailbreak. I bought an ext. warranty, so I'll not be jailbreaking anytime soon... just a 'nice to have'...

My heart would also skip a beat if the 2nd version had a USB port. I'd buy a new one, and give this one to my hubby in a jiffy!!!

How cool it would be to have access to ext. storage! :p

Even if none of that comes to fruition... I'm still thrilled with my ipad.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not AirPlay, Air Video.

I'll look into ZumoCast though, but I'll bet it pales in comparison to Air Video.
Huh? That is an odd thing to say without even trying it. Myself and others have tried both and like Zumocast better. For one thing, Zumocast is free... I can't see why anyone would buy Air Video now that Zumocast is out.

Another thing is ZumoCast does not need to convert for download unless it is a very big video file. Anything it can play on the host PC it can play on the iPad too. So when you download a file it simply downloads its... as is.

And ZumoCast does all files, not just video. So if I forgot some PDF or Office doc on my PC I can download it via Zumocast and then send it to whatever app I have that can read that format (Evernote, etc.).

Oh yea, but I did think I saw AirPlay the first time around, not Air Video. :)

Michael

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I've already got Good Reader and Air Video. I will look into ZumoCast, but from what I'm reading so far, the interface is better on Air Video.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Suit yourself but you are the one who had the scenario you complained about. I don't have that issue. It just works.

Dragoro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now I remember why I thought Swype was out of beta. It came preinstalled on my droid 2.

Dragoro

iPF Noob
Reaction score

saint71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If for no other reason than this Exploding Droid phone blamed for ear injury- NBCActionNews.com ? KansasCity, I think I would stay with Apple products. BTW, one of the latest news reports is that HTC phones are having the same reception issues as the iPhone 4.

Thats cause the idiot over clocked his droid to the point that it over heated and finally blew up. That just falls into the category of "almost darwin award".

LMAO that made my night...

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts