Why 4:3? Why not wide-screen?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Takenover83, May 8, 2010.

?

Would you have preferred a wide-screen iPad?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. No

51 vote(s)
    73.9%
  1. Takenover83

Takenover83 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I love my iPad. But I still can't figure out why they went with 1024x768, instead of a nice wide-screen resolution, preferably 1280x720. It sure would of been nice, as it would save me from having to crop or zoom in on many Movies to just get full-screen. Maybe the only reason I can come up with, is it would look a little long when holding it in Portrait mode. Would you have preferred a wide-screen iPad?
  2. figmo10

figmo10 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    About an hour ago I watched an episode of some ABC TV show just to see it on the iPad. I have only a 3G connection on the device. Maybe I'm Neanderthal Man, but when I tapped it into full screen, I was blown away by the picture quality. Maybe the next gen will be in 3D but for now, I'm happy.

By the way, I really disliked the network show I watched. But seeing it on the iPad makes me want to buy this hair color stuff they're selling on the commercials.
  3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For everything else the iPad does, 4:3 is a much better choice. Video shouldn't override usability in other apps. You can get away with it in a full-sized computer because the screen is large enough.

Ebooks on a 9:16 screen would not be as nice.

Tom
  4. Craig

Craig iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the web would look weird in portrait view.
  5. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    It would be akward to hold and type on I think if it was wider. It would also look funny.
  6. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    I voted no. The true answer is yet but...

Yes but it would be a weird shape for web browsing and reading and stuff.
  7. jenna

jenna iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I also voted no. I have the archos 9 which is wide screen and the dimensions are very awkward for anything other than video (even that is not very good).
  8. dmittleman

dmittleman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For me, watching movies and HDTV is about 1% of what I will do on my iPad. For me, 4:3 is a more functional ratio.

Perhaps Apple thought I am more typical that you.
  9. Takenover83

Takenover83 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wonder, if you feel the same way about your desktop or laptop? I know I have widescreen aspect ratio on those. Actually portrate view is more likely to get 1% of my use, as I rarely use it unless forced apron me by the App. And Video watching either movies, youtube, etc.. is/was a high selling point for Apple.
    Last edited: May 8, 2010
  10. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    So basically in landscape the screen would be too short and annoying for reading, in portrait it would be too narrow. The shape/size of the screen is pretty perfect.
  11. ayerbusiness

ayerbusiness iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, it depends on how wide it is. The size of the iPad's screen is enough for me. It's not too big or either too small. I have seen the iboard and the iMat and I was shocked t first because it was too big. I wonder how people are gonna carry the device while using it. The size of the iPad's screen is alredy perfect!
  12. Takenover83

Takenover83 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The screen is far from perfect. The black border around it, if shortened a bit, could make up for the difference and provide a 16:9 aspect. Just constructive criticism. Maybe in iPad 2.0, we will have a widescreen, video/camera, fixed wifi for those with dual band, better viewing in sunlight, less overheating when outdoors, o and a little weight cut. These are just a few complaints I hear often around here. But, I find it ironic that so many are defending the 4:3 aspect.
    Last edited: May 8, 2010
  13. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    Would you condemn a person with an old TV? And what of so many of us that watch old TV shows on their iPads. Of course, a widescreen display still will not show some of the really widescreen movies fully. The screen size of the iPad was chosen on the best experience for all uses. Just as the border was chosen to have enough real estate for hands to grip easily. A lot of thought went into the ergodynamics of the iPad and while compromises have been made, it has not diminished the quality of the experience.
  14. Takenover83

Takenover83 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I say Ironic, because if the competition came out with a "PAD" that was 4:3, it would be it's downfall. But sense we are talking Apple here, then it gets defended and praised. Sad, but true.
  15. cherhall

cherhall iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I also think a widescreen would be awkward in uses, other than video. However I also don't miss a camera, don't miss flash, and don't find it heavy at all. But maybe that's just me. I don't say this because I'm a "fanboi" just a grandmother who doesn't really care WHO makes a product as long as the product is good, and the iPad is way beyond good.
  16. mcbrew

mcbrew iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you take the same height, then bring the width to 16:9 ratio (plus the border), the iPad would be about 12.25 inches wide, instead of the current 9.5 inches wide. Nearly three inches wider would make it a bit more cumbersome.

16:9 is only for movies/TV. Most of what people do with the iPad is web surfing. Like others have said, there is no reason to make a sacrifice for one application, when a 4:3 screen is much better for nearly all other applications and for aesthetics.

The same goes for a computer screen... bit the main reason for going with widescreen notebook is that it actually makes more sense due to the form factor. Now, if keyboards were more square than rectangle, it would make sense for the screen to match that shape. With a notebook, you can't really make the screen wider than the keyboard. The only variable is height. A widescreen notebook computer is actually more compact, because the screen is just shorter than it would be if it were 4:3.
  17. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    That was my other thought, keep the same width and you end up with a tiny device, keep the same height and it's too big. They thought it out and this is the perfect size!
  18. stever

stever iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Exactly.
    Sorry. But you can't play the fanboi card on this topic. Too many of us agree.

You can't even play the fanboi card on this forum.
    If you haven't noticed from all the introductions and discussions, a LOT of us here on this forum are first time Apple product buyers. We are not just apple fanbois. (Go look at the 'Apple arrogance thread'. everyone was polite, and most people there agreed about that arrogance.)
    I have both an Apple and a Windows desktop at work, but I have never had an Apple as my home machine. No one who knows me would ever say I am an Apple zealot.

And so far, I have hated the look and proportions of the HP slate.
    Yes, for just one thing, watching trailers and some movies, that proportion is good. But for most uses, I just feel the proportion sux, and feels like I would have to keep scrolling around to view things.
    It just feels clunky to me.
  19. Takenover83

Takenover83 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I replied in that thread, maybe you need to re-read it. First time buyer or not, that does not stop some from defending their purchase to the death ;) Look at the Archos 9. It has a widescreen aspect, and does not look to long to me. Looks pretty good actually. But as always, opinions vary. That's why I included a poll.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  20. Kargurin

Kargurin iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My guess its that a landscape ipad would be awkward to handle.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk