1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Who's upgrading their Ipad 2 to 5.0.1 and who's waiting?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by rickyricardo, Jan 1, 2012.

1. rickyricardo

rickyricardo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I know that there are already two (at least) threads dedicated to the "Ipad 2 Jailbreak." One is the "Official" thread, the other a "Stragety" thread. But I havent really read anything on what to do about upgrading. I know earlier it was posted that the best thing to do is be patient, stay on 5.0 and wait for the devs to give us a heads up. I am just curious though, at this point what everyone is doing.

Thanks.................
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Gzoladz

Gzoladz iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I was about to postthe same. Posixninja reccomended today to upgrade to 5.0.1 while we can. If I were on ios5, I had already done so. I am on 4.3.3 jailbroken and for the time being I am staying where I am.
  3. TheRambler

TheRambler Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0
    It's always the same before a jailbreak! Should we update now and miss the chance if it's 5.0 and not for the current 5.01. Who knows!?!? We can only surmise as no one wants to give away too many details.
    Me personally I would sit tight and wait to see what happens, there's always a small window before the JB is plugged, so wait for the information to come straight from the horses mouth!

Check out f4780y's brand new update here...... Maybe time to update ;-)

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/44596-official-ipad2-jailbreak-thread.html

Good luck Ricky
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  4. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630 / 0
    I've updated the official thread with the relevant details. I'll be doing the same to the strategy thread too, but it needs a bit more work to bring it up to date...
    • Like Like x 1
  5. stompyipad

stompyipad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ipad2, 32, 4.3.3 JB, I would love to upgrade to 5.0.1 but can't do without JB so I am waiting.............thx for this post:(
  6. rickyricardo

rickyricardo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Thanks f4780y for the update. I lost out last time on 4.3.3 because I wasnt on top of things. Going to take the plunge and update this time......................fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. addiosamigo

addiosamigo iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Just to clarify something for me.

I ran tiny umbrella and it says saved SHSH's for iPad 2:

Does that mean I have no worries in upgrading to 5.0.1 even if apple bring out 5.1? Or shall I upgrade to 5.0.1 then downgrade back to 4.3.3?

Thanks
  8. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630 / 0
    SHSH Blobs for 5.x firmwares CANNOT currently be used on the iPad2, even if you have them saved. Therefore, you must install 5.0.1 on your iPad BEFORE Apple stop signing it and stay on that version if you want the chance to jailbreak 5.0.1 when / if one is released in the near future. When Apple close the signing window you will NOT be able to restore 5.0.1 on your iPad2, even if you have saved blobs, as things stand today.

The protection you DO have is that if you want to restore to 4.3.3 and jailbreak that in the future you can do so at any time thanks to your saved blobs.
  9. addiosamigo

addiosamigo iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Sorry I'm gonna sound really thick here.. So upgrade to 5.0.1 as JB maybe imminent, (I like this)

If I upgrade to 5.0.1 and JB doesn't materialise I can downgrade to 4.3.3??
  10. Rushh

Rushh iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yes you can provided you have the wifi version or the gsm 3g version.
    There seems to be a problem for cdma 3g version ...
  11. addiosamigo

addiosamigo iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Hmm ok. I'm gonna take the plunge!

Edit: so far so good except that I forgot all my apps are on my laptop and I've leant it to my mate! Thank goodness for the AppStore downloads!
  12. Gzoladz

Gzoladz iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I am stock 5.0.1. I have put no music and no photos yet and my ipad is just flying. I am not sure if that is due to less capacity being used or the jb.

At the same time, I see now how much crxp I had installed on it. I will try to keep it light now. It is amazing how fast it is.
  13. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630 / 0
    The JB itself will not slow the device, but the more tweaks you add when jailbroken the slower the device will become. There is after all only a limited amount of RAM (and to a lesser extent, processor cycles) to work with. The trick with jailbreaking is getting the right balance of tweaks you really want without bogging the device down wasting memory with unnecessary stuff! :)
  14. addiosamigo

addiosamigo iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    I tried to make an exploited 4.3.3 using tinycfw but it doesn't seem to do anything I left it running twice and after about 30 mins still nothing, what am I doing wrong?
  15. Gzoladz

Gzoladz iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thank you f-boy. The crxp I was referring to was to apps I did not need or use enough. Re tweaks, I had just what I needed it.

Also I had too many photos and too much music. Will try to keep it lighter.

Thanks again, G.
  16. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630 / 0
    Usually indicates java has run out of memory. Make sure you followed the setup instructions from the tutorial we posted.
  17. Rushh

Rushh iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It happened to me too, tried continuously for a day with different settings , java versions , etc.
    Took the ipsw for 4.3.3 to my friends place who has a shinny new Macbook and in 5minutes it was done. Suggest you do the same!
  18. IPADfreak90

IPADfreak90 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    guys.. i need some advice here!

at da moment my ipad2 is on 4.33 JB, should i upgrade to 5.0.1 or stay at 4.3.3?

unfortunately i dont have my 4.3.3 SHSH Blobs, so i dont really have a lifeline here....

thanx in ADvance xD
  19. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630 / 0
    The choice of course is yours. Since you will be completely losing your jailbreak for a period of time (and nobody knows how long that might be), I would suggest keeping a very close eye on the scene (or here at least, I will post as soon as I know a new version of IOS has been released), and be prepared to install 5.0.1 as soon as you get the nod. After that you have about 24 hours before it is too late.

At the moment, we know a new version of IOS will be out soon, but don't know exactly when. It could be a few days, or a few weeks, depending on what Apple device to do with the current exploits and how close 5.1 is to a GM release.
  20. IPADfreak90

IPADfreak90 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    thank u 4 ur reply!
    but wat if i wait for da 5.01 JB which will probably come when da bootrom exploit is found on the A5 devices, and then hopefully there will be support for ipad2 in tht glorious ifaith program, so i cn save my 4.3.3 SHSH BLOBS.

i know i am assuming alot here:D. BUT IS IT really worth waiting to save 4.3.3 blobs or upgrading to 5.0.1.

DAMN! its a genuine DILEMMA !!:eek::rolleyes:

any worthy opinions??