1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Who's still sticking with the original iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad 1 Forum' started by FoxCruiser, Nov 12, 2012.

1. FoxCruiser

FoxCruiser iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do apologize if this seems like a redundant question. In light of the fourth-generation model being released recently, who among us is still considering on sticking with their original iPad?

I am, for one. While my case is a little different as I only purchased it a few months ago I still find it to be a very usable device. As a laptop supplement(and not replacement) it works wonders. I'm still getting great battery life, it's an excellent casual Web browser and e-reader, and I can do light word processing and watch videos in my spare time. Even though the original iPad is definitely well removed from the latest and greatest it still works well enough to suit my needs. I'll be hanging onto this one for a little while. :)
  2. Nemesis

Nemesis iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm finally taking the plunge and upgrading to the 4th-gen, but my original iPad is still chugging along and I use it all the time. My fiance will be taking full advantage of it once I have my new one, so it won't just be collecting dust.

The reason I'm finally upgrading is because there are too many reasons TO upgrade, than not to upgrade. Apps these days support the latest and greatest software and hardware, and it's become a struggle to download some updates and even *install* some apps on my iPad because the hardware limitations are holding it down. Prime example, iPhoto and iMovie. I want a large touchscreen to edit and manage photos on. I can't even install this app on my iPad because it's missing the front-facing camera. Other apps require the fast processor in later models, and some apps are now being updated to require iOS6 (which we can't get).

Even if you're deciding to stick around with the original (and props to you for keeping it this long, there probably aren't many people out there who still have theirs!), it won't be too long before Apple will cut off support from it entirely. :(
  3. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    I'm getting iPad 4 but keeping iPad 1 and 2. iPad 1 has served me well, but is showing its hardware limitations in slowness and crashes.

I figure I'll keep iPad 1 indefinitely, because I don't sell my gear.

My husband probably will start using it to stream radio while he cooks, because we recently gave away his iPad 1 to someone who'd get more use out of it.
  4. MadChef

MadChef iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    I passed my iPad 1 onto my partner when I got the iPad 4. It still works great.

☮♥
  5. Anomalous

Anomalous iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I still have mine only because I just use it to read books. I feel it is time to upgrade, but I'm not sure exactly which new model I want. Decisions, decisions...
  6. HardMetalAlchemy

HardMetalAlchemy iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Get the fourth generation iPad. Chances are, it will last longer in terms of software, perhaps stretching up to iOS 8 lol. If you look at the first iPad, apple cut the software updates quite short, not allowing it to upgrade to iOS 6.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Elizellen

Elizellen iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    I'm still using mine quite happily. It was bought for me to take into hospital in August 2010.

But I don't play games on it, apart from solitaire now and again, so have no need for a faster pad.

I use mine to browse the interweb when away from home as well as in bed late at night or now while having a duvet day to nurse my cold, and usually drift off to sleep while listening to an audiobook on it.. I also watch live TV programmes that my hubby is not interested in with it (using headphones) and use the Iplayer for catching up on programmes.

I am tempted by the mini but as yet cannot justify the cost of that!
  8. intillzah

intillzah iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I just got mine, and I'm happy to have it. I plan to stick with it for a while, but if I was to get a good buy on a Ipad mini......
  9. Anomalous

Anomalous iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I noticed the upgrade issue. I'll wait until the fourth gen comes out and decide. At least there will be a price break on the previous one if I don't go for the newer model. :)
  10. XDRoX

XDRoX iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    The 4 is out.
  11. cellur111

cellur111 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    If it matters I'm keeping my ipad 2 I find no need to buy a slightly better version of the ipad.
  12. zorah

zorah iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Same here, with the exception that I still have my iPad 1 but haven't used it in a bit.
    I use my 2 on a daily basis. I take it to work meetings and handwrite notes using Paper Desk. I type notes in Docs to Go and a Dexim BT keyboard.
    My internet speed is fantastic. I am a techno junkie galore but I even am holding on to using my iPhone 4S, and I have had every single iPhone there's been. I may even skip the iPhone 5 which is unheard of for me, lol. and I would get either updated device if I so please, but am consciously choosing not to. I haven't had either one for a year just yet either so on that note it would be silly to update anyway.
    As techno as I am, the iOS devices I have are not obsolete yet and they're not slow and clunky either. Both work beautifully and in fact are very much still for sale brand new at the Apple Store.
  13. HardMetalAlchemy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    This isn't a bragging forum
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Barry1980

Barry1980 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I love having an original iPad just for the old YouTube app from ios5.
  15. iJamesH

iJamesH iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0
    My iPad is better than your iPad!

:p
  16. arbj

arbj iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use Ipad 1, I don't have any plans to buy another, this one is good and very useful.
  17. zorah

zorah iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    LOL. Exactly. I don't see any bragging going on. Last time we checked, this is an iPad forum where we all have iPads that we enjoy talking about which would be the purpose of a forum! Bragging means a person is being haughty and vain. enjoying the use of one's existing device is not vain. This thread invited discussion about the use of an iPad, period.
  18. HardMetalAlchemy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Lol :D
  19. gedansky

gedansky iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    One more for the "keeping it" list. It was a gift from my wife and children and best friend, so it has sentimental value and a back story. So, even if I could cost justify an upgrade, I feel it would dishonor the spirit of the gift. Plus it works fine for what I use it for... a laptop replacement for me, and entertainment for the kids.

Also, I just got it the summer after the 2 came out, and replaced it under warranty, at the beginning of this summer. So, it's still in brand new condition.
  20. FoxCruiser

FoxCruiser iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Definitely fits the tone of my original post. This isn't to express any bragging over older versus newer iPads; these are all fun, useful devices. Personally, I feel like the first-gen iPad still suits my needs, the only stumbling block being a kinda slow Web browsing experience... though I typically use my laptops for Web browsing anyway.