What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's made the jump from 1st gen to 3rd gen?

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The wife did. I still own a second gen with no plans to upgrade. We use them interchangeably so it doesn't really matter. Ours is more an issue of location more than his and hers. It got annoying never having one on the main floor and always forgetting to bring it along so we decided to get a second.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The wife did. I still own a second gen with no plans to upgrade. We use them interchangeably so it doesn't really matter. Ours is more an issue of location more than his and hers. It got annoying never having one on the main floor and always forgetting to bring it along so we decided to get a second.

Boy...that makes good sense on lots of levels! :)

buykindlevn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
ipadnewworld.com
Went from the original iPad to the new iPad and could not be happier. :eek: Still love my original too and will never get rid of it--still works great.

jetskier0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also switched from the original to the new iPad. There were several games that my 1st gen just would not play. The cameras I could honestly care less about. The screen is amazing. I am happy with the upgrade. Now if I could just jailbreak it. :)

dingster1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got my 3rd Gen in yesterday. Big difference! Lighter, and the display is gorgeous. I'm restoring my 1st gen to give to a friend.

jerseymaggie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Add me to this list. I got my new iPad at Best Buy on the day they hit the stores. Funny story. I get to Best Buy after work to purchase and the woman before me gets the LAST black, 32 gig WIFI only. I was so disappointed but called my closest Apple store (30 mins away). The girl who answered told me they had a "healthy" supply of the one I wanted. It was pouring rain that night and my hubby said he was not in the mood to drive that far in the rain. He told me to go back to Best Buy and get the 64 gig instead!! I was thrilled.

So, I have the black 64 gig, WIFI only, the screen and speed are amazing. So worth the upgrade; I absolutely LOVE it. My hubby has my 1st gen now. He loves it but I know he really loves my 3rd gen. I will probably buy it for him later in the year (our wedding anniversary is in October, so it will be an anniversary/Christmas present!).

If you can do it, go for it. You won't be dissapointed.

drathbun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The upgrade from gen1 to gen3 is totally worth it! I got my iPad1 a couple months before the iPad2 came out so I've been suffering watching everyone else with the nice screen and the built in camera. The screen and camera on iPad3 totally blow the doors off the iPad2 and the iPad1 is archaic by comparison. Other than the WiFi issues (I am seeing all of the reported issues) I love this iPad!

Sent from my iPad3 using iPF

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went from 1 to 3 and I'm really happy. As others have said, my iPad 1 was getting a little sluggish and some apps were not able to update to their full potential due to say, lack of camera ect. I'd say it's well worth buying if your the owner of an iPad 1. If you have an iPad 2 though it probably wouldn't unless you really want the retina display.

Sent from my iPad 3

Fofer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my iPad1 a couple months before the iPad2 came out so I've been suffering watching everyone else with the nice screen and the built in camera.

The screen on the iPad 2 was the same as the screen on the iPad 1. (Sure, I was jealous of the speed, more RAM, thinness and camera, though.)

That said, I also upgraded from the 1 to the 3 and am very happy with the upgrade.

geobernd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded from Gen 1 to Gen 3 on Launch day - and I must admit (being an Android Phone Guy) I am blown away by the difference. I am using it on the train during commute and at home - I have had a bunch of evenings where the home PC stays off now - the Gen 3 iPad does everything I expect and more... And the screen is amazing... I had (ok - still have) a hard time putting it down - where as the Gen 1 was a gadget used mainly on short weekend trips in the hotel when I didn't want to bring the laptop.... Apple did right with this one (and my Dad will be happy as I am passing the Gen 1 on to him)....

nipper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went from an ipad 1 to the new ipad , have to say i did prefer the old ipads look compared to the new one , with its cooler back , it just felt better in the hand , the new one is faster but thats it , build quality feels better on the original ipad , the main reason for my upgrade was i wanted an ipad with mobile interet , my original ipad was only a wifi model , if it was a model with 3g i would not have upgraded , the ipad 2 was not such a big jump , as the screens were the same , the new screen is nice , but i do wish apple would give us stereo sound as that would make viewing a film nicer , the main advantage between the samsung tablets and the ipads is on watching wide screen films , on a samsung you get the full screen , the ipad gets the usual black bars above and bellow the screen as the ipad is a 4.3 screen , so for watching movies i use my samsung , also as it as stereo sound , and my ipad for the net.

sharkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my hands on a new ipad from a first gen too. Had a decent trade in value on it at my local apple rep store. Speed and weight is awesome. Having some wifi drops though. Hope it clears itself up.

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was lucky to receive the original iPad the day before the official launch through their pre-order, which Apple didn't do for the iPad 2. I resisted an upgrade to iPad 2 with a great deal of difficulty. However, I pre-ordered the iPad 3 & received it on launch day. The delivery driver was in a big white, plain van & he said the van was absolutely full to bursting with nothing but iPads!

The new screen & video performance are STUNNING.

I've used my iPad every single day since that fateful day two years ago!!

dcs3473

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased my 1st Gen 16Gig WIFI about a month after they came out just to make sure there was not going to be to many issues. I was hesitant to upgrade to the 2nd Gen so I waited and waited. Finally when the release of the 3rd Gen I knew I had to have it. I cant believe how much more I use it then even my 1st Gen.

tinshark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
buykindlevn said:
Went from the original iPad to the new iPad and could not be happier. :eek: Still love my original too and will never get rid of it--still works great.

I went from original to the new iPad too. I am so glad to have kept my original and won't ever get rid of it either. Works great but sloooooow compared to the new one. Haha.

Most reactions