Who's made the jump from 1st gen to 3rd gen?

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by mikeos, Mar 24, 2012.

1. j joy j

j joy j
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I made the jump too. I had the 32GB iPad1 and was maxed out in size and really wanting/needing a new iPad. I almost purchased the iPad2 but kept talking myself out of it telling myself to just wait for the iPad3 (new iPad). I'm not sure how many times I walked in to the store with intentions of buying the iPad2 and walking right back out but I am SO glad I waited ... yay for patience in this case! I feel it was way worth the wait, no regrets at all! I also went with the 64GB/4LTE service. Good luck!

2. KJSmitty

KJSmitty
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Did not consider the jump to the iPad 2 yet jumped on the 3 at 1201 AM day of launch... :)

The display is nice yet the overall performance increase from iPad 1 to "the new" is significant. And if you live in an LTE environment and are a data plan user,,, huge jump - its faster than my 10mbps cable service at home...

Buttttt, I do wish I still had that $829 in my wallet.... :). Haven't brought myself to sell my mint iPad 1 32GB/3G just yet.

Cheers

3. Lunar

Lunar
    Expand Collapse

I think your 3/4G speeds must be a great deal faster over in the USA than here in the UK, where IME they can be abysmal unless your right close to the source, indeed there are still parts of the UK where your'e unable to get a signal at all..lol Where I live out in the sticks in Herefordshire, I sometimes have to go outside to get a usable signal on my mobile phone, yet a mile up the road and its full strength.

Re. having the cash back in your wallet, one could always opt for a refund if your still inside Apples 2 weeks grace period. ;-)

#13 Lunar, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2012
  4. Nightstar

Nightstar
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I still have my iPad 1. I skipped the iPad 2. Been waiting for the third to come out.

I will keep my iPad 1. No way I could sell her! ^_^ Same as also having the original Mac Mini from 2004. Both are first of their kind and to me are collectable. Over the last two updates (IOS 4 and 5) have also noted the sluggishness of my little friend. It has survived a lot. From two major conventions to LA. Still looks and acts new after dropped it in the original Apple black case from shoulder high. It has gone on every service call since I bough it. And she has save a lot of Microsoft OS PC. The iPad 1 is no slouch still.

My iPad 1 has 64GB/AT&T 3G and has the old Unlimited AT&T Account still. Which due to AT&T slow cuts over the last year is no better than a 30 dollar standard plan at best now. The new iPad is 64GB/Verizon/LTE. Got feed up with AT&T and wanted the hotspot so went with Verizon. Was shock that I am in LTE area. Some places I have tested hit 20+! And at the house its faster than my cable!

With two now... I can have a duo screen system out in the field now when I need it! ^_^

#14 Nightstar, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  5. ianholmes

ianholmes
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I too went from 1st to 3rd generation and couldnt be happier. The increase in speed is amazing. I don't regret the purchase one bit

Ian

6. Nightstar

Nightstar
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    You too? In Southern California. There are areas where you have no or very weak cell coverage and that's in some small town near the coast!

7. KJSmitty

KJSmitty
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    3G and 4G data service in the states is hit or miss. For the most part it works well where available and is definitely usable. I never did test its speed specifically yet would guess its in the 250kbps at best average etc.

LTE service, I am amazed with. Yesterday sitting at my daughters soccer game at 2-3 bars reception, a speedtest.net reflected 18mbps download and 17.5mbps upload. Even within my house at low reception I average over 10/10mbps. I've read reports as high as 40 down and 20 up on Verizon...
    Not sure how long that will last however. I'm sure once it is saturated with capable devices we will see a significant decrease in throughput etc. JMHO of course.

As for having the cash back in my wallet,, my reference was only to imply it would only be better if free.. :)

Cheers

8. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
  9. Gayle

Gayle
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Went from the original iPad to the new iPad and could not be happier. :eek: Still love my original too and will never get rid of it--still works great.

10. scottiemom

scottiemom
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received: