Who will be the first to download iOS5?

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by SweetPoison, Oct 12, 2011.

1. richsadams

richsadams
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ah shucks [kicking instep] :eek:

2. GoPackGo

GoPackGo
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Back-up seems to be going sort of fast now. Hoping I receive zero errors!

3. richsadams

richsadams
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
  4. Al Rogers

Al Rogers
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Like the kids would say"are we there yet".? or Should I say"Is it here ye".?

5. Beryl

Beryl
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Upgrade on 8GB iPod Touch (my guinea pig device) went relatively well.

Started at about 10:30 PT, download-only in about 30 minutes, got the stupid 3200 error code when in update mode. Didn't see any help on the Apple site, restarted the update and it was done 30 or so minutes later.

I came to this site and see that the 3200 error is common and not a biggie.

The thing I found different was that at one point during the restore, the device appeared to be in sleep mode. iTunes said it was restoring but the screen was black. After 10 minutes, I woke up the iPod, and it took me through basic questions on the device (iCloud, locator, etc.) I thought iTunes was in a loop and almost disconnected until I saw more apps being added to the device. I waited it out and it finished. Brought up 3rd party apps and all appeared well.

Started the iPad update 30 minutes ago The download-only says it take 4 hours. Disconnected my iPad and will return later to update it.

Note: My iPod is using less than 4 GB and it took 30 minutes to restore it! My iPad is using 20GB of its 64 GB so it will take a while.

6. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:

I so agree. I think all these errors are arising because of system overload. Why do folks have to have it today? Tomorrow is another day, unless of course sitting for hours then getting an error doesn't bother anyone.

7. f4780y

f4780y
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've posted this eleswhere, but if anyone struggles getting iTunes to complete the download, consider downloading the file directly to your desktop from our thread here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

Then, once it is downloaded, shift-click (windows) or option-click (OSX) the restore button in iTunes and it will let you select the file you just downloaded.

iTunes can time out, particularly when the whole world is trying to install IOS5 at once!

8. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Hell. IPF is gonna time out soon!

9. epb

epb
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I think most of the failure points are the iPad trying to verify the update with Apple - with their servers so busy, it's timing out or failing to connect, so all you can do is re-try or wait until the furor dies down...In my case, it took 7 update attempts before it worked. I'm lucky - my iPad 2 has nothing but the default software, so back-ups and synchs took no time at all.

#219 epb, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  10. dvx

dvx
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Same thing here timing out on restore the iPhones updated with out a problem but the iPad is a different story:)