What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be the first to download iOS5?

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Upgrade on 8GB iPod Touch (my guinea pig device) went relatively well.

Started at about 10:30 PT, download-only in about 30 minutes, got the stupid 3200 error code when in update mode. Didn't see any help on the Apple site, restarted the update and it was done 30 or so minutes later.

I came to this site and see that the 3200 error is common and not a biggie.

The thing I found different was that at one point during the restore, the device appeared to be in sleep mode. iTunes said it was restoring but the screen was black. After 10 minutes, I woke up the iPod, and it took me through basic questions on the device (iCloud, locator, etc.) I thought iTunes was in a loop and almost disconnected until I saw more apps being added to the device. I waited it out and it finished. Brought up 3rd party apps and all appeared well.

Started the iPad update 30 minutes ago The download-only says it take 4 hours. Disconnected my iPad and will return later to update it.

Note: My iPod is using less than 4 GB and it took 30 minutes to restore it! My iPad is using 20GB of its 64 GB so it will take a while.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've posted this eleswhere, but if anyone struggles getting iTunes to complete the download, consider downloading the file directly to your desktop from our thread here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

Then, once it is downloaded, shift-click (windows) or option-click (OSX) the restore button in iTunes and it will let you select the file you just downloaded.

iTunes can time out, particularly when the whole world is trying to install IOS5 at once!

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
keep trying guys - I kept getting Error 3200 - It's now carrying out the iPad Software restore 50% done! Must have tried 10 times! Let you know how I get on... I'm using only 6 gigs so not a lot to upload to iCloud..

I think most of the failure points are the iPad trying to verify the update with Apple - with their servers so busy, it's timing out or failing to connect, so all you can do is re-try or wait until the furor dies down...In my case, it took 7 update attempts before it worked. I'm lucky - my iPad 2 has nothing but the default software, so back-ups and synchs took no time at all.

Last edited:

dvx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same thing here timing out on restore the iPhones updated with out a problem but the iPad is a different story:)

phoenix180

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings, everyone! How long did the "restoring iPad apps" process take for you?

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
phoenix180 said:
Greetings, everyone! How long did the "restoring iPad apps" process take for you?

Not too bad, then again I was so ecstatic that I was no longer getting error messages and the iPad update was finally in progress not sure that actually noticed. It took a long time for the iPhone apps to restore though.

Sent from my Verizon 64GB Black iPad2 using iPF

Most reactions