What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who wants their screen rotation button back?

Do you want the Screen Orientation button back?

• Yes, bring it back!

Votes: 224 74.9%
  • No, I like the mute button.

Votes: 64 21.4%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • There was an orientation button??

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tap. You're done.

Why is this so hard for some? Why the big deal. Takes a second to do! Less!

I just don't understand ~ someone make me understand.:(

Who ever said it was hard? Some people just liked using the switch more than the current solution. It really isn't hard to understand at all.
The "hard" part this time was about pressing play because disaster struck: Youtube paused! OMG! The horror! lol

Michael

Last edited:

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some people are just pure whiners. They will whine and complain about even little things like that just so they can hear themselves speaking.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some people are just pure whiners. They will whine and complain about even little things like that just so they can hear themselves speaking.

Or just whine about other people on forums. Seriously, we get it that you don't care about the switch, really. That's fine. It can still be possible that you don't care but others do right? I agree that in the end this really is pretty minor, but if it bothers people then so be it. They certainly have the right to let their feelings be known in a thread discussing the issue.

Last edited:

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The "hard" part this time was about pressing play because disaster struck: Youtube paused! OMG! The horror! lol

Michael

I get it. Still, I think people have a point here. Apple is all about the user experience or so we are constantly told. Supposedly, nothing is done without first looking at how it will affect that experience. If your video experience goes from smooth and seamless to getting pauses when performing the same system task I would argue that this is a reduction in the user experience.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The poll results show that over 72% want the screen orientation lock switch to remain in it's original position and just over 27% think it's OK to leave it as a mute button.

<===== Putting moderator's hat on...

Since it is pretty clear that the results probably are not going to change significantly, this thread is getting close to being closed if the comments stray any further off topic than the original question.

P.S. This isn't really a suggestion!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The poll results show that over 72% want the screen orientation lock switch to remain in it's original position and just over 27% think it's OK to leave it as a mute button.

<===== Putting moderator's hat on...

Since it is pretty clear that the results probably are not going to change significantly, this thread is getting close to being closed if the comments stray any further off topic than the original question.

P.S. This isn't really a suggestion!
Whoa there... this "poll" is worded for negative results. Would you want a meaningful "poll" to be worded like this? Of COURSE the largest number of participants in THIS polll are not happy with the switch change. This "poll" is screaming for their attention, so no surprise. It's not a poll so much as misery loves company.

There is another poll that is MUCH more neutral in its title. And guess what? Almost the opposite result of what you see here.

But to threaten to close this thread because people disagree? That is not cool at all. This place should not be like that.

Michael

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But to threaten to close this thread because people disagree? That is not cool at all. This place should not be like that.
Its pushing the limits of that Rule #3 thing that isn't cool...

3. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. We take politeness very seriously. You are welcome to challenge others points of view and opinions, but do so respectively and thoughtfully.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get it. Still, I think people have a point here. Apple is all about the user experience or so we are constantly told. Supposedly, nothing is done without first looking at how it will affect that experience. If your video experience goes from smooth and seamless to getting pauses when performing the same system task I would argue that this is a reduction in the user experience.
Did you actually think it through?

OK, roll back the clock to 3.2.2.... You are watching a YouTube video and all is well. Why exactly would you suddenly decide to lock orientation in the middle of it? You had to be doing something... moving the iPad at the very least. More likely, you noticed it was rotating and you didn't want it to. So you held it where you wanted to and locked the orientation.

In my humble opinion all of that is really a much large "jarring experience" than having the video pause while you lock orientation. Is video turning 90 degrees really part of a good "user experience?" I think not. Is pausing for a second or two a big deal while you do so? I REALLY think not.

Michael

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its pushing the limits of that Rule #3 thing that isn't cool...

3. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. We take politeness very seriously. You are welcome to challenge others points of view and opinions, but do so respectively and thoughtfully.
Oh come on now.... Saying people are whining is not a direct personal attack. It is a generalized comment. And as Dave stated, people saying that are pretty much complaining too... :)

I think we all know what true personal attacks are. And quite frankly I don't see it here.

But my point still stands: this poll was worded in an incendiary manner. You can bet it will be a lively discussion. But I for one have enjoyed it. I learned something. That is a good thing.

Michael

RichardK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I won't "upgrade" to 4.2 until they revert this unwanted, stupid change.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I won't "upgrade" to 4.2 until they revert this unwanted, stupid change.
While that is your choice, be sure to tell Apple too. They won't know if you don't tell them.

But do recognize that not everyone feels that strongly about it. :)

Michael

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My post was only meant to be a "gentle push" to keep things on track so that they do not degrade into personal attacks. The thread is still open and no one received any warnings or infractions.

And as long as I am reminding the members of the forum about the rules --

10. Users may disagree with the decisions or actions of the moderators and/or administrators, however, disagreements, criticism and the like are not to be aired within the forums. Please feel free to PM the person directly rather than air your dirty laundry in public.

This matter will not be discussed in the open forum again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts