What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who wants their screen rotation button back?

Do you want the Screen Orientation button back?

• Yes, bring it back!

Votes: 224 74.9%
  • No, I like the mute button.

Votes: 64 21.4%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • There was an orientation button??

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I start a song on the Apple iPod app, then I switch the mute button on. I still hear the music. It's not a mute button.
When I press mute on any audio-video device (tvs, amps, etc...not phones or cells) the sound is muted.
Let's call it something else.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why don't people get this? It works the same way as it does on the iPhone and iPod touch, it mutes sounds, not music.

If you want to mute everything, slide your index finger down 1/2" and hold the volume down button for about a second. Is it really that difficult?

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why don't people get this? It works the same way as it does on the iPhone and iPod touch, it mutes sounds, not music.

Not everyone has or is familiar with the iPhone or iPod touch. I know nothing about them. Zip. Nada.

I know lots about the iPod touch. I have 3 of them, my compnay uses them with our software, we are a hardware reseller. I have never had a "mute button" switch on my iPods. (I have yet to use a 4th Gen)
I use the orientation lock constantly. I hold my iPad at different angles and if it is not locked it rotates. Now if I need to rotate the orientation I slide a button, let it rotate, slide it back to lock. I bet I do that 50 or 60 times a week.
I haven't upgraded yet and when I finally do I will miss it.
For all of you that are furious with Steve for not consulting you first, when I get enough money I'll buy Apple and make it user configurable. :D Just don't hold your breath waiting! :p

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the switch was a mute switch on the iPad initially. It was changed to rotation lock about a month before the iPad starting shipping. Think of it as just returning to its roots. :)

Michael

cpking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Several things are bad and stupid about this change.
1. To quickly mute the iPad, just hold the volume button down for 2 secs.
2. If you're laying in bed trying to watch a movie, you move slightly and the screen flips-totally annoying.
3. Having to double click, swipe, press, click etc. to lock the the screen is a hassle.
4. It's an iPad, not an iPod or iPhone (both of which I own). They're not the same, so give up the consistency argument.
5. Since it can obviously be software addressed, make it a toggle in the general panel settings.
6. Apple, quit fixing things that aren't broken.

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I used it once and felt like it was unnecessary since the idea of the device is the flexibility to use it anyway you like.

Its still there, its just not a hard switch anymore. Which I think is more appropriate anyway.

Agreed. I actually use it with some frequency. I didn't like the fact the function was had by moving item subject to wear. Mute is something I use with significantly less frequency and I think that function is more appropriate to the silly little, rather unAppleie inelegant toggle.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4. It's an iPad, not an iPod or iPhone (both of which I own). They're not the same, so give up the consistency argument.

This. Apple and some overly protective fans of the Ipad don't want this device to be thought of as a "large Ipod Touch". It sure seems like this move is making it more that way than before.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score

This. Apple and some overly protective fans of the Ipad don't want this device to be thought of as a "large Ipod Touch". It sure seems like this move is making it more that way than before.

cpking and DaveSt expressed very well what I couldn't phrase so clearly.
A big +1

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Several things are bad and stupid about this change.
1. To quickly mute the iPad, just hold the volume button down for 2 secs.
2. If you're laying in bed trying to watch a movie, you move slightly and the screen flips-totally annoying.
3. Having to double click, swipe, press, click etc. to lock the the screen is a hassle.
5. Since it can obviously be software addressed, make it a toggle in the general panel settings.
6. Apple, quit fixing things that aren't broken.

QFT!!!!! :p

RoadPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but never all of the people all of the time. It's a damn button. Get over it. There are a hell of a lot more important things in life, no? ;)

Seriously, I don't care if it's a button, a few swipes, or if it takes some magic words - as long as I can mute the sounds and lock the screen *somehow*, life is good.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but never all of the people all of the time. It's a damn button. Get over it. There are a hell of a lot more important things in life, no? ;)

Seriously, I don't care if it's a button, a few swipes, or if it takes some magic words - as long as I can mute the sounds and lock the screen *somehow*, life is good.

Yeah. Its a damn button! In a few months everyone will love it.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts