What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who wants their screen rotation button back?

Do you want the Screen Orientation button back?

• Yes, bring it back!

Votes: 224 74.9%
  • No, I like the mute button.

Votes: 64 21.4%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • There was an orientation button??

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

applelite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really enjoyed able to quickly lock the screen in landscape or portrait... i used it often b/t apps and browser... could we please have the screen lock button back...

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you sure you have an iPad and not an aPad? Mine is on the right hand corner....are you holding it upside down?

lol .. is there actually an "upside down" when it comes to the iPad? I prefer to use mine in landscape orientation with the home button to the right and the volume and "used to be lock, now some kind of mute" button on the top. That keeps the headphone jack away from my dog who is 90% of the time on my right side. Although, come to think of it, I must confess that unless traveling my iPad is naked without a case. When in the Apple case I suppose the orientation would be 180 degrees reversed. In that case I can see not only the lock switch but also the volume buttons being placed in completely the wrong position for practical use. Hard to believe Apple would have made such a silly design mistake. Too much Peyote for Steve I guess :)

I use the apple case so I didn't even think about holding it that way...lol

Digital Analogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to the iPad (only had it about a week) and having that button act as a mute seemed totally useless to me. Now that I know what its original function was, I want it as well.

cpking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad, iPhone, yada yada

I have an iPhone (3GS right now) and an iPad (32GB 3GS). I don't watch movie on my phone-it's the size of a bar of soap. So locking its orientation is not helpful. I do warch movies a lot on my ioad, and having the screen dlip withi a slight turn is annoying (like when laying in bed for example). However, I do OFTEN need to need to mute imy phone (in church, in meetings, etc.). Bt contrast, I almost never mute my iPad. Holding down the volume switch for 2 seconds quickly handles noise from the iPad.

While I understand the idea of having all "idevices" operate in a similar way, I think the two are used in essentially different ways. I also understand that different people use their devices in different ways, so the brat solution seems to be to make it software choice. we know this is possible, so that would fix the problem.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
People keep saying the screen flips if you turn it even slightly.

Am I the only one who hasn't experienced that? I'm sitting here with it in my hands right now, and even laying it in the slightly propped up position (using the Apple case) sitting in my lap, it takes a nearly complete orientation change to get it to flip around to vertical. The only time it gets confused is if I am laying it nearly completely flat. Why not just hold it up slightly? Or if you are planning on keeping it mostly flat, use the software lock button.

320 posts in this thread and going strong. LOL!

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Out of curiosity I just tested mine and it flips much faster than yours. If I slowly rotate my iPad around, it changes orientation at about a 45 degree change in angle, maybe a little less. I don't think this solves anything, but I had to see!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine seems to change right after 45 degrees too... with iPad otherwise perpendicular to the ground.

In fact this to me is the biggest annoyance with the iPad and rotation. I really would prefer to adjust the sensitivity. I would love it if it was closer to 90 degrees before it auto-changed rotation. That alone would negate most of my need for a rotation lock in the first place.

Michael

David Vice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I first heard about a screen orientation switch I was confused because I didn't see it on my iPad. But then messing around with it I found that it was a mute button and the screen lock was placed al the way to the left when u press the home button twice along with quickly accessible iPad controls and brightness fader. Smart move by apple on that. Multitasking is much easier.

Good iPaddin :ipad-keyboard:

mamiamjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mute button is useless

Why even have a mute button that's right above the volume switch? It's much easier to just hold the volume switch down then to use the mute button.
I think we should have the ability to program the button for what we want it to do

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why even have a mute button that's right above the volume switch? It's much easier to just hold the volume switch down then to use the mute button.
I think we should have the ability to program the button for what we want it to do

Does anyone actually, I don't know, maybe READ anymore??? If you are gonna post in a thread at least read some of it first.

This has been explained ad nauseam. I'm sure someone else will jump in though and explain it one (for now) more time....

Michael

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Does anyone actually, I don't know, maybe READ anymore??? If you are gonna post in a thread at least read some of it first.

This has been explained ad nauseam. I'm sure someone else will jump in though and explain it one (for now) more time....

Michael

Good one, Michael. I thought the same thing. Probably what? 200 posts ago? lol!

mamiamjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Michael

Good one, Michael. I thought the same thing. Probably what? 200 posts ago? lol!

Wow, what a great response! You're right, I didn't read all 300+ posts before mine, so I may have missed something. Sorry if my post irritated the two of you (get a life). But just to make it clear I was only stating my opinion about the button. I wasn't asking either of you to offer an explanation for it and there was no need for the two of you to insult me.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's just that I have personally explained exactly what that button does several times in this thread, and a few other people have explained it as well. I'm sure if you look back just a page or two you will see that it's not a complete mute switch. It mutes system sounds like the keyboard, notifications, and other system sounds. That way you can listen to music or watch a movie without having to worry about an annoying beep interrupting you. Is it more useful than the orientation lock? That's for you to decide. But it's not like the orientation lock went away, it just got moved.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
People keep saying the screen flips if you turn it even slightly.

Am I the only one who hasn't experienced that? I'm sitting here with it in my hands right now, and even laying it in the slightly propped up position (using the Apple case) sitting in my lap, it takes a nearly complete orientation change to get it to flip around to vertical. The only time it gets confused is if I am laying it nearly completely flat. Why not just hold it up slightly? Or if you are planning on keeping it mostly flat, use the software lock button.

320 posts in this thread and going strong. LOL!

I have to agree with Superbike on this one. I have to rotate the ipad more than 45 degrees to make it change orientation. I don't have a protractor handy, but I was pretty good in geometry, and I'd say that it requires a good 60-75 degree rotation to make mine flip. If, however, you artificially rotate it rapidly, you can occasionally make it flip right around 45-55 degrees of rotation.

Irregardless, I've used many iPads.. Mine, friends, demos at the Apple store.. And none of them seem to have "premature rotation" that I've discovered. If anyone is experiencing this, they should get their iPad exchanged at the Apple store.

And since my last post in reference to the switch is many pages back by now, I am still in the "don't really care" category. 1. I hardly if ever use the switch for anything.. whether it was for orientation, mute, or otherwise. 2. As stated above and observed by Superbike, it takes a near full rotation to get the iPad to change anyways.. I can't say I've used the orientation lock ever, aside from right after downloading 4.2 to check it out.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm guessing the "when the iPad rotates" is somewhat dependent on the copy that you have. I tested my Mom's last week, which is much newer than mine, and it also rotates at about 45 degrees. Taking an iPad back because it rotates at 45 degrees rather than 60 or 80 or 90 just seems silly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions