What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Runs? I Love To Run!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But I can not seem to pass 2 miles.:( And that takes me 50 minutes! I know I know ~ you guys are gonna come in here tell me you can knock that out in 10 minutes.

Whatever ~ lol! I took my heart rate and it was 109. Not sure if that is bad or good ~ I am still alive!

I am very hungry too! Never had lunch.

No, Michael and Rocky. I am not eating your spam. I mean who eats that? Spam. The name says it all, boys.:D

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once upon a time I would run 20-25 miles a week,hot or cold weather every morning a 5:30,then I would receive a call about 10:00 asking me if I wanted to do a 5 mile run with some buddies. Now after being retired for 23 years I have two steel knee joints and all I can do is side step responsibility,Jump to conclusions and run off at the mouth. Just make sure you take care of your knees.

Al.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
But I can not seem to pass 2 miles.:( And that takes me 50 minutes! I know I know ~ you guys are gonna come in here tell me you can knock that out in 10 minutes.

Whatever ~ lol! I took my heart rate and it was 109. Not sure if that is bad or good ~ I am still alive!

No, Michael and Rocky. I am not eating your spam. I mean who eats that? Spam. The name says it all, boys.:D

Why, the MEN FROM SPAMALOT do!

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam! We like Spam! Because we are MEN! Spam, lovely Spam! (To the tun of Martin Mull's "Men")

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once upon a time I would run 20-25 miles a week,hot or cold weather every morning a 5:30,then I would receive a call about 10:00 asking me if I wanted to do a 5 mile run with some buddies. Now after being retired for 23 years I have two steel knee joints and all I can do is side step responsibility,Jump to conclusions and run off at the mouth. Just make sure you take care of your knees.

Al.

25 miles a week?? Wow! Impressive there, Al.:) I can't run on cement or pavement ~ only the treadmill or a track.

You know when my knees hurt? When I go down stairs. Strange!

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brisk walking is much easier on the knees, hips and body. Try it! I normally manage to get in at least three miles a day.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
25 miles a week?? Wow! Impressive there, Al.:) I can't run on cement or pavement ~ only the treadmill or a track.

Actually not strange at all. That's when your body is loading its weight on the knees. I feel it all the time after I've had my arthroscopy. I don't feel it as much when I'm walking or even going up stairs (though the knee exhibits less strength going up stairs). I used to walk five miles a day and there's NOTHING flat about where I live.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:

I run 25-40 miles a week on average. Getting past 2 miles is easy. Seriously.

Get "Training for Endurance" by Philip Maffetone. It's exceptional, and will likely reduce your pain and increase your distance. He teaches the "Maffetone Method" for endurance training, which focuses almost entirely on training to your heart rate. He has a bunch of books out entraining, but I've only read the one. If you can't find it, I assume the others teach the same method.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:

Get "Training for Endurance" by Philip Maffetone. It's exceptional, and will likely reduce your pain and increase your distance. He teaches the "Maffetone Method" for endurance training, which focuses almost entirely on training to your heart rate. He has a bunch of books out entraining, but I've only read the one. If you can't find it, I assume the others teach the same method.

Oh my! I will check out that book! Thanks!

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Al.

Too funny! I will take care of my knees, Al. I promise.

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:

I looked up that book for someone else and saw Phil Maffetone has written a more recent book, but it seems to be along the same lines. I don't own it, but I may pick it up just to check it out. It would probably serve the same purpose, and is available as an ebook at Barnes & Noble.

Reaction score
SweetPoison said:

109 bpm, where you even exercising? :p

But I agree, running is nice. Especially when it is raining, it is so refreshing.

Sadly, I don't run regularly. Ran a marathon last year, but then stopped completely for 3/4 of a year. Now starting to train again for another later this year. Usually when I get tired I start imagining a very embarrassing daydream, which keeps my brain occupied, so I forget that I feel tired and just keep running.

Anyhow, one problem I found is, that the iPad can't be used while running, which is a major bummer :D

Last edited:
OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Al.

I looked up that book for someone else and saw Phil Maffetone has written a more recent book, but it seems to be along the same lines. I don't own it, but I may pick it up just to check it out. It would probably serve the same purpose, and is available as an ebook at Barnes & Noble.

Oh, thank you!

SweetPoison said:

109 bpm, where you even exercising? :p

But I agree, running is nice. Especially when it is raining, it is so refreshing.

Sadly, I don't run regularly. Ran a marathon last year, but then stopped completely for 3/4 of a year. Now starting to train again for another later this year. Usually when I get tired I start imagining a very embarrassing daydream, which keeps my brain occupied, so I forget that I feel tired and just keep running.

Anyhow, one problem I found is, that the iPad can't be used while running, which is a major bummer :D

That is freakin hilarious! When I took my heart rate and it was 109, I thought when I posted that number, someone will say what you just said ~ a man no doubt, that runs 2 miles in 10 min!

On my low carb site, we took out a thread about "what do you think about while running" It was fun.

So ~what is your embarrassing day dream? Gonna share?:D

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok Marie read this book Born to Run by C.McDougall. A modern classic.

Basically it's about running, the Tarahumara indians, and how the use of modern running shoes leads to poor running posture and subsequent injuries.

Can't wait to see you in your vibram fivefingers ..........

Most reactions

Latest posts