What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is iCloud?

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Note in the subject line that I'm not asking what is iCloud but rather WHO is managing this so-called wonderful offline storage now available to all computer users. Is it done by the major computer companies? I think I understand how it works but not necessarily the economics of this asset. Is a company being paid to do this? Does advertising pay for it? This guy would like to know more, not from links--I can Google--but from your understanding on this forum.

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Note in the subject line that I'm not asking what is iCloud but rather WHO is managing this so-called wonderful offline storage now available to all computer users. Is it done by the major computer companies?

Yes, Apple.

I think I understand how it works but not necessarily the economics of this asset. Is a company being paid to do this? Does advertising pay for it?

Seriously, have you ever seen any advertising on iCloud?? Apple pays for this from profits they make on hardware sales. It's a service they provide to Apple ID account holders.

This guy would like to know more, not from links--I can Google--but from your understanding on this forum.

Here ya go - Apple - iCloud - Your content. On all your devices.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .Apple pays for this from profits they make on hardware sales. It's a service they provide to Apple ID account holders.

Mostly.

Though there are charges for premium services, like iTunes Match, and if you need/want more than the free 5 GB of storage. Most of the storage intensive iCloud services do not count against that 5 GB, so few users will need or benefit from more space.

Most reactions

Latest posts