What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

who has read ebooks on the iPad for extended periods of time?

username

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting an iPad for the purpose of reading textbooks for what I'm studying (VitalSource format). I still have a lot of doubt because of the LCD screen which may be straining. I'd like to ask if anyone here has read ebooks on the iPad for hours at a time, and how did you feel about that? I'd probably need to zoom in to read my books, which may mean a lot of panning.

Other e-readers are no good for me due to a lack of support from my textbook provider.

Flinthills

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've spent a few afternoons reading without issue. Of course I was on the front porch enjoying a mystery. that's not the same as consuming a detailed textbook.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting an iPad for the purpose of reading textbooks for what I'm studying (VitalSource format).

I've read both e-books and e-scores on my iPad for up to 30-40 mins at a time, including on moving vehicles, without any problems.

However, with textbooks I'd probably prefer dead-tree printed copies simply because they're that much easier to write notes and diagrams in the white-space and margins, attach handouts/Post Its and highlight sections, than an electronic copy. (But that's just the way I study, of course.)

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've read several books, including the entire Jurassic Park series, Battlefield Earth and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe, a couple from WEB Griffin and found the experience enjoyable, and practical.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've read for a few hours at a time while my guy was out fishing... best way to spend time on a lake! I have to admit though, its easier to read for longer periods on my Blackberry which I didn't expect!

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Writing and reading here is no different from reading a book, it's still the same display. Still, you need good lighting in the surroundings to prevent fatigue, just like watching a television. I've read many books so far and it's no different than reading paper or ink. In fact I haven't used my Sony reader since I got the iPad.

The real drawback from the iPad is leaving the book because you remembered some subject to research on Internet. First thing you know is that it's too late to go back to the book. That's why I read less than I used to since I got it, not for any discomfort whatsoever.

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
I have a kindle and a ipad. I have read two complete books on ipad and around 100 on kindle. I think the ipad is too heavy for extended reading. I think the screen is ok, but the kindle is less straining. I prefer the ipad at night, but much prefer the kindle during the day. Like iVan, the biggest benefit of the kindle vs the iPad is that the kindle doesn't do anything else. I can't easily check twitter or email, so I actually read.

The screen is nice for video and images, so if your textbooks are going to have video or lots of color charts, then the ipad will probably do that well. If you are a lit major, then I would say Kindle over iPad.

Or buy both.

avspatti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have read several books so far on my iPad with more books in the queue. I am getting to the point where I prefer to read on the iPad rather than real paper books. Why? Well, I like the fact that I can adjust the light, the font, and the font size. I don't have to be in a well-lit place to read either. I don't have to carry books with me as my iPad is always in my purse. Love it!

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've read several using the kindle app.
About as long as 3 hours at a time with no problems.
Never have any problems with the weight because I rarely hold a book unsupported while reading anyway.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Kindle DX and had an original Kindle. Both are easier on my eyes for extended periods to the iPad and both are much lighter than the iPad. However I do a fair amount of late night reading on the iPad and it isn't bad really.

But the new Kindle probably wins if you are going to do a lot of reading in regular or outdoor lighting. And it is even lighter than the original Kindle and Kindle 2.

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
E-mags here for iPad. For books I still prefer my dedicated eInk readers just because of their more "book-like" form factor.
But you can't beat the iPad when it comes to childrens books. Check out Winnie the Pooh on iBooks. I just read that (in about 15-20 minute sessions) to my little one before bedtime.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am reading more books than I ever had before getting an iPad. Well actually, I started reading books on an iPod Touch and bought the iPad to read on a larger format. I have read every Steve Berry book and every James Rollins book. I am about halfway through James Patterson's "Alex Cross" series so please don't tell me how they end.... please!!!

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out Winnie the Pooh on iBooks. I just read that (in about 15-20 minute sessions) to my little one before bedtime.

Same here. I have the complete Beatrix Potter and "Winnie the Pooh" stories on my iPad, plus a couple of other interactive books like "Green Eggs and Ham" and "Oh! The Places You'll Go!" (even though we also have these titles in dead-tree printed versions.)

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out Winnie the Pooh on iBooks. I just read that (in about 15-20 minute sessions) to my little one before bedtime.

Same here. I have the complete Beatrix Potter and "Winnie the Pooh" stories on my iPad, plus a couple of other interactive books like "Green Eggs and Ham" and "Oh! The Places You'll Go!" (even though we also have these titles in dead-tree printed versions.)

We have some Dr. Seuss, too (as books). I'll have to check the ebooks. Pooh bear will only last for another 2-3 days :)

Most reactions

Latest posts