What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

While entering password screen goes blank and you have to start over

nelsonsoft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As the title shows while entering the password not making it through it the ipad screen goes black and you have to press the home key again to re-enter the password again. This has happened a few times. On the second try so far it does make it. Not sure what the issue is. If anyone has had this problem and resolved it let me know.
Thanks,

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

First try this, maybe it will help:

Restart your iPad: turn it off, wait for a few minutes and turn it on again.

Reset your iPad: this won't delete any data or settings.
Press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. Release both and let the iPad power up on it's own.

OP
N

nelsonsoft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I've done a power off and then back on. It is fully charged and it did it again. Not every time but perhaps 1 out of 4 times logging in or so. I will be entering the password and the screen goes dark and you have to hit home to wake it up again and re-enter the password.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try the reset I suggested. If it doesn't help, nothing will be lost. It's just rebooting the device. It might fix your problem.

OP
N

nelsonsoft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That did not help. But I've tried opening the cover with it locked. Then without typing anything it goes to sleep after 8 seconds or so. So I think that is what is happening when entering the password it just goes to sleep while entering the password. I'll do some more tests and see if it is the same amount of time.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmm, is it an Apple cover or a third party cover?

If third party it's possible the position and strength of the magnet might be triggering the cover-closed sensor when flipped around to the back. Play around with how/where the cover is being held when signing in and see what happens.

I suppose it possible with an Apple brand cover as well; just much less likely.

You could also try turing off Lock/Unlock in Settings General to disable the cover, as a trouble shooting measure.

Even less likely is if the Power or Home buttons are under pressure from the cover, but that should show up in lots of other ways.

Last edited:
OP
N

nelsonsoft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is strange that it has done it off and on with my tests. Not all the time but on some of the tests it turned off after 8 seconds, 10, 8, 10, 12 seconds. I was holding it still during that time with the cover on the back side.
But I did take the cover off. It does not seem to be doing it with the cover off.
So I put the cover back on and did not flip the cover to the back side. It did the same thing turning off after about 8 seconds. So does the way the cover put the ipad to sleep different than pushing the on/off button? If the magnet is not even on the back side it should not turn it off. Is this a bug in the way it wakes it up from the lock/unlock cover.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Interesting.

Does the cover completely enclose the iPad? If so, try a piece of magnet metal and see if there are magnets in the body of the case/cover as well. Maybe one meant to hold the cover closed is in a bad position.

Also check to see if the cover is pressing against the power button. That plus a bit more pressure from how you happen to hold the iPad when entering the password could feasibly, though not likely, be a cause.

And try my suggestion to turn of Lock/Unlock in the General Settings. This disables the cover's ability to turn the iPad on/off; another way of confirming that it is the cover's magnet(s) and not something else causing the issue.

That's all I can think of.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nope. Thought of one more thing that you probably have not tried.

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. This will cause most of your iPad's settings to go back to default. If something in the settings is combining with the cover to cause the problems it has a fair chance of fixing it.

Your iPad's contents, apps, and account settings won't be affected, but you'll have to re-tweak many of your other preferences like wallpapers, notifications, etc. A nuisance, I know, so try all the other things first.

Do not confuse this with Erase All Contents and Settings, which is right next to it. That will wipe the iPad.

Most reactions