Which stylus?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by The_Eck, Apr 7, 2011.

1. The_Eck

The_Eck iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It wasn't until I browsed through the App Store last night that I realized that you could use a stylus with the ipad. I did a google search and found tens of thousands of dealers and ebay sellers. Quite a few are offering stylii for just a few dollars with free shipping - offers that seem too good to be true.

Here I am with two sides warring within me - do I go for cheap and save a few bucks, or do I go with something more expensive even though Ihave no idea how good the quality vs. price is going to be?

So fellow iPadders, what's recommended? I'm not into art and drawing but I do like to do handwriting so I don't need an assortment of nibs.

Thanks!
  2. tnbug

tnbug iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I odered and received this one.. Like it a lot.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Stylus-iPhone-Tablet-AMM01US/dp/B003ZSHKIY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302223828&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Targus Stylus for Apple iPad 16GB, 32GB, 64GB WiFi + 3G, iPad 2, iPhone, iPod, Tablet AMM01US (Black): Electronics[/ame]
  3. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,317 / 1
    My first purchase I took a chance and bought one of the supper cheap 4 to a pack $5 deals. The tips were rubbery, and had about the kind of traction on that glass that you'd expect of rubber. Other than that, they worked.

To be clear, the were unusable for anything except tapping. Drawing, dragging, writing, were all but impossible.

Don't get taken in by supper cheap deals unless you've got a reliable reviewer first.

I use a pogo stylus. It's ok.

Be sure you understand that no matter what stylus you buy you are not going to get the accuracy of a Wacom tablet or the old resistive screen PDA's. Capacitive touch screens aren't that precise.
  4. The_Eck

The_Eck iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for your f/b. I've heard from a couple of other users outside this forum who also recommend the Pogo or the Targus.

I had to chuckle at your comment WRT Wacom and accuracy! I just want to take notes on my iPad during meetings and my fat fingers don't work too well with the screen keypad (I use the touch-typing method and thus my fingers hover pretty close to the screen, generating random unwanted characters - something I need to get used to). I scribble pretty fast and use a variety of shorthand symbols. I used to use a Modbook, which worked fairly well.
  5. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,317 / 1
    I always wanted a Modbook, but could never quite convince myself I needed it enough to justify the price.

Sounds like you know what you are getting into. Lots of people use them for exactly what you want. You should do some searches for note taking threads. Lots of intense discussions on the best apps to use.
  6. HKWrite12

HKWrite12 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Beststylus.com sells stylus-r-us styluses. They look to be the best. I don't know when the sale ends but they are hosting a 48-hr sale for their Roger iwand, a best seller. It's 25.99.
  7. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
  8. Mav777

Mav777 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I also use the Acase, just received a couple of days ago it works great, I was surprised by it's quality considering it's low cost compared to others.
  9. Matt1226

Matt1226 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Targus is the way to go
  10. Eliza1903

Eliza1903 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've heard a lot of good things about the Targus. My husband is a major DIYer and he made a stylus himself, using the YouTube tutorial:
    Collin's Lab: DIY iPad Stylus

He used a Brillo pad for the tip and trimmed it down so it was as precise as possible. I love it, not looking to buy anything else -- It's actually my handwriting. I'm not an artist, just a writer, and needed it to make editorial notes on manuscript pdfs.

We were concerned that it would scratch the glass, but it's been perfect.
  11. Matt1226

Matt1226 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yeah foam is the way to go from what I have read. I have never saw one for sale though.
  12. Plai

Plai Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    e.stylo is a worthy alternative. Both the tips work at different angles. The pointy tips also give it the illusion of writing with the tip.
  13. Tuttle

Tuttle iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I woud recommend iFaraday for general, all around use. If you want the best accuracy in handwriting, go for the Adonit Jot, but get a little conductive grease and lubricate the swivel joint to prevent skipping.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ipaddeveloper888

ipaddeveloper888 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got a targus stylus. But I have to mention that the Ipad (for me anyway) just isnt very good for note taking, even with the stylus. Even if I can take crude notes with it, they are just graphic images. I got writepad for character recognition to create text but that just wasnt very accurate. Eventually, I got a bluetooth keyboard and that works very well. Now, I use the keyboard to word process and take notes and I am back to using my finger to manuever around on the ipad. I hardly use the stylus at all anymore.
  15. HowBoutThemPack

HowBoutThemPack iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I just purchased a Belkin brand stylus from Target. As far as writing on the screen, it's smooth. It's a rubber tip that doesn't drag ever. Seldom does it not register on the screen, and the times it doesn't, it's because I either was touching a different part of the screen, or I was trying to be much too precise with writing or drawing. It ran me something like 28 USD, but it's solid.

Sent from my jailbroken iPad2 using iPF
  16. jnet

jnet iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0