What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Smartphone

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Montereybob said:
Are they as good as the Google nav on android? If so, my next phone will be an iPhone.

Hard to say as I've not tried the google nav, but I found that map quest is quite good, Waze is fun, NavFree really useful since it can be used offline. It's a matter of personal preference at this point.

VicoPad addict!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Montereybob said:
Are they as good as the Google nav on android? If so, my next phone will be an iPhone.

Hard to say as I've not tried the google nav, but I found that map quest is quite good, Waze is fun, NavFree really useful since it can be used offline. It's a matter of personal preference at this point.

VicoPad addict!

Navigation on android devices is significantly better than on the iPhone and iPad. Turn-by-turn voice navigation, for example, is a standard feature. It's invaluable if you prefer not to be looking at a screen as you plow into that semi in front of you.

thegreatone3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Google nav is very good except for times when you don't have a cell signal. I travel a lot to small towns where the signal is nonexistent and all you get is a message saying, "stay on the route." Until they add offline capability, apps like Navigon are far more reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Montereybob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thegreatone3 said:
Google nav is very good except for times when you don't have a cell signal. I travel a lot to small towns where the signal is nonexistent and all you get is a message saying, "stay on the route." Until they add offline capability, apps like Navigon are far more reliable.

How does Navigon work without cell signals? Satellite gps?

Reaction score

Turn on your standalone GPS with Google nav

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think you would happy with any smart phone be it a iPhone or android I just got my first smart phone I went with a duel core android I am very happy with it. my is plan tmobile 79 for unlimited talk Tex and web and it's 4 g and I can tether my iPad has lot of the same apps I have on my iPad. And android even has a IPF app

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

haggisgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used my HTC HD2 (with both Windows and Android OS) to tether with my Ipad and now I use my HTC Sensation. As long as I can continue to tether, I'm happy with my Android phone. Never desired an Iphone but with AT&T buying T-Mobile, I may end up getting one in a couple of years.

OP
E

espressomiata

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ended up going with the Droid for a couple reasons. Like JSH1120, I find that I use the smartphone differently than the iPad and so far it seems the Droid is working out really well. I haven't found much need for integrating information between the two yet so not an issue. It is taking a bit of effort to adjust to the minor differences but that should be expected.
Another reason was the availability of hardware support. The Verizon shops can't do a thing with the iPhone once you take it out the door whereas I can always take in my Droid if necessary. The closest Apple shop is over an hour away so if anythning were to go bad with the hardware, it would've been a real inconvenience to resolve the issue.
Thanks for all the good comments and different perspectives.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Verizon shops can't do a thing with the iPhone once you take it out the door whereas I can always take in my Droid if necessary. The closest Apple shop is over an hour away so if anythning were to go bad with the hardware, it would've been a real inconvenience to resolve the issue.

That brings up a bonus with iPhone that I never expected:

I bought mine while on assignment in Asia, dropped it on return to the U.S., went to a U.S. Apple store and they gave me a free one as a courtesy. I walked in prepared to pay for a repair, and they offered me the replacement unsolicited. They didn't even ask where or how I bought it, or whether I had AppleCare (I don't), which doesn't cover accidents anyway.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Kaykaykay said:
That brings up a bonus with iPhone that I never expected:

I bought mine while on assignment in Asia, dropped it on return to the U.S., went to a U.S. Apple store and they gave me a free one as a courtesy. I walked in prepared to pay for a repair, and they offered me the replacement unsolicited. They didn't even ask where or how I bought it, or whether I had AppleCare (I don't), which doesn't cover accidents anyway.

You know what they say, an Apple in my day keeps the doctor away... :)

VicoPad addict!

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackberry bold 9700.

Given how many errors I make in this forum alone, I'm glad my phone doesn't have a touchscreen. :)

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As stated earlier, the most compelling reason to go with the iPhone if you are an iPad user is sharing apps between devices. This is what my deciding factor was in choosing the iPhone over Android. If you are considering the new iPhone however I would hold off for a bit to see if Apple can figure out the battery issues. I love my phone (4S) but the battery life is atrocious.

Most reactions

Latest posts