What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which small app for movies?

zinneken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which small and energy efficient app do you use for watching mkv movies on the ipad mini?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use AVPlayerHD. Not sure how energy efficient it is, however. If you keep the screen brightness at a minimun it will be more efficient in terms of battery life.

OP
Z

zinneken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion. Is there a list of media players, or a even comparison?

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i use vlc streaming so it takes lots of energy because stream use ipad wifi but then again when you stream it you can choose the lowest resolution so that might help a bit to lower processor work during playback which help save energy too :thumbs:

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use AVPlayerHD. Not sure how energy efficient it is, however. If you keep the screen brightness at a minimun it will be more efficient in terms of battery life.

I've been testing the battery usage of MKV players (will publish my findings soon in a full article). AVPlayerHD is very efficient.

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i use vlc streaming so it takes lots of energy because stream use ipad wifi but then again when you stream it you can choose the lowest resolution so that might help a bit to lower processor work during playback which help save energy too :thumbs:

Using WiFi for streaming uses much less power than, say, software decoding H.264. This is particularly true when you use an app that uses hardware decoding even when streaming - for example, jailbroken apps streaming from SBM or UPnP.

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP
Z

zinneken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been testing the battery usage of MKV players (will publish my findings soon in a full article). AVPlayerHD is very efficient.

Let me know when you do, I'm interested!

Since you can't post external links, if you do have external links to articles, don't hesitate to send me a PM with it!

Last edited:

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me know when you do, I'm interested!

Since you can't post external links, if you do have external links to articles, don't hesitate to send me a PM with it!

No article yet. However, some battery drain numbers (fully playing back the H.264-converted 1080p video at http://web.hi10anime.com/colorful-10-bit-bd-1080p/ with minimal backlight and airplane mode) :

HW (or, as with It's Playing, semi-HW) decoding:

nPlayer 15%
It's Playing 42%
XBMC 13Alpha (17/Feb) 18%
AVPlayer: 13% (useless image, though - so far, all standard H.264-converted, originally Hi10P anime vids with SSA subs have turned out to be hardware-unplayable by AVPlayer)
HD Player Pro: 12%
BUZZ Player.: 23%

All with subs enabled, except for It's Playing, which wasn't able to properly render a lot of them so I disabled it.

SW decoding:

nPlayer 73%

OP
Z

zinneken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So the best battery performance is HD Player Pro and the worst is it's playing?

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So the best battery performance is HD Player Pro and the worst is it's playing?

If you want to have as long battery life as possible, yes.

However, he above figures have been measured on the iPhone 5 running at the lowest brightness level. This means on higher brightness, particularly on the iPad, the battery drain results won't be THIS big.

OP
Z

zinneken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! Should you ever write the article, please, do let me know in a PM.

Most reactions

Latest posts