What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Satnav on iPad

Talcenty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone able to recommend a suitable satnav app for the iPad?
There seems to be a number out there some free and some come with costs.

Favoured motionX interface but the drive version is only available in the USA &Canada.

OP
T

Talcenty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had a look at satFree. One of the major elements missing is waypoints.

Route can be chosen on fastest and shortest plus avoid tolls/ motorways. I tried 3 routes that are known to me from 120 to 300 miles.

Surprisingly the routing algorithm for a common journey i make, showed fastest as 301 miles which was 10 minutes LONGER than the shortest route which was only 266 miles?? So actually longer in time as well as 45 miles longer.

On another common route the map found the address but couldn't route to it showed the access road to the estate as terminated on the point it joins with a connecting road. My 3rd common route looked fine but this was pretty straightforward - 2x A roads 3x motorways and a city address.

I haven't tried it in earnest, just a desk review but not particularly impressed. Yes it is free but to avoid the errors and get waypoints would be worth a few bob to me at least. ;-)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You see, I only ever use a satnav to go somewhere that I don't know, so I wouldn't know if there was a better route!

OP
T

Talcenty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly. Which is why I did the tests to see how it performed.

I then tried NavFree on a village Trefor.

NavFree needs a full address for its in-built search facility so only way was the google search option within the app and that put me in Holyhead some 50 miles from the actual village on the Llyn Peninsula. There was no way to locate the correct village.

We kayak and my wife also dives so beach/village is needed to get close by the launching point. Post codes are of no help for this type of activity.
Ideally the app would have the ability to move the SatNav finishing point to an identifiable launching point off a track, quay etc.

An alternative is using Lat/Long co-ordinates which is common in guide notes from interest forums.

Long trips with overnights Inc international travel need planning with waypoints so we can camp etc.

Non of these features are available in NavFree. So I am looking for comparison with different apps from any users out there

Looking at iTunes the following are low cost:
ZORRO
GLOBAL NAVIGATION
NAV4

And the following £20upwards:
MOBILE MAPS
CO PILOT
NAVIGON
DYNAVIX

There may be others I missed.

NOTES
MotionX will be doing Europe version of their Drive app which but there is no slated launch date. This does look like a killer app.
The USA version sells for 0.99 USD whether Europe maps will come as cheap we will have to see.
See iTunes.apple.com/us/motionX-gps-drive/id328095974?mt=8
You may need to drop the "ID" bit.

Co pilot are moving to version 9 with lots of added features. If you buy v8 then you will end up paying again for v9 to get those features. There is no upgrade pricing policy. Again no release date is available at this point in time.

Most reactions

Latest posts