What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which redsn0w version for iPad?

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I finally want to JB my iPad but I'm confused which redsn0w version I'm supposed to use. Most tutorials state, that one JBs iPad 4.2.1 with 0.9.6b4, but there's already b6 available. So, which one should I take?

Todd M

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greenpois0n stated that untethered JB is imminent. That is a better option because at this time redsn0w is tethered...

Fake Geohot link......

Not sure that the page update referred to above is meaning that it is imminent but I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greenpois0n stated that untethered JB is imminent. That is a better option because at this time redsn0w is tethered...

Not sure that the page update referred to above is meaning that it is imminent but I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Just use the latest version of Redsn0w. I also wouldn't hold your breath on the dev team there are always rumors......:D

Last edited:
OP
Mike_73

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. What difference is there between redsn0w and greenpois0n?

Wolf73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bros... I tried redsnow 0.9.6b4, 0.9.6b5..... I followed the steps provided by iClarified....everything went ok until " waiting to reboot device" and it hangs there.....confused right now

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It sometimes takes a long time for the device to reboot.... let it do its thing. Well that is if the pineapple is showing. Is it the pineapple up or the Apple logo?

Either way you can use Redsn0w again to "just boot tethered" and it will prolly reboot properly.

Michael

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bros... I tried redsnow 0.9.6b4, 0.9.6b5..... I followed the steps provided by iClarified....everything went ok until " waiting to reboot device" and it hangs there.....confused right now

Are you on windows? If so you need to run redsn0w in XP compatability mode.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Download GreenPois0n iOS 4.2.1 Untethered Jailbreak

Smells like a fake. .biz domain is not where gp was hosted and blog reads as though written by a non-English speaker...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
.biz? Yea I don't think that is legit when there is already the "real" site with .com.

Michael

kvizzel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you were to jailbreak the ipad with redsn0w [tethered] then just rejailbreak when greenposi0n comes out with untethered does that mean your iPad will be jailbroken untethered?

and all the data and etc will be kept?

thanks!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you were to jailbreak the ipad with redsn0w [tethered] then just rejailbreak when greenposi0n comes out with untethered does that mean your iPad will be jailbroken untethered?

and all the data and etc will be kept?

thanks!
While that might be possible, I would recommend starting with a fresh unbroken jailbreak if and when the untethered 4.2.1 comes out. So I will restore to 4.2.1 then jailbreak again--that is if I even bother with it.

To be honest I have not been bothered much at all by the tethered nature of redsn0w. My iPad seems to need far less rebooting than my iPhone, and when I do it is planned so I am at my PC. But I won't be doing a tethered jb on my iPhone.

Michael

kvizzel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree Michael, that's why I'm going to tether jailbreak my iPad.

Rarely if ever does my iPad need a reboot, but sometimes an app might freeze.

The only way to fix this is to hard reset and I might not be a computer.

This is rare, but it does happen.

That's why I plan to do the tether jailbreak to get a feel of the new iOS, then when, if ever, jailbreak it untethered.

Guess when that happens I'll just restore and do all that jazz.

Thanks.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I should note I do use SBSettings to "respring" my iPad, probably daily. While not quite as good as a reboot it does clear out any running apps, and frees up RAM. In addition, before running a CPU or memory intensive I app I check the running processes with SBSettings and kill anything that I don't need in memory. Hopefully this minimizes my chances of running into a completely unresponsive app.

What I think would be awesome, if a tethered jb is going to be around awhile--at least for the iPad--is some kind of little dongle that plugs into dock connector that mimics what redsn0w does to reboot tethered. I'd pay for something like that. Well, duh... no one is gonna be giving them out for free. :)

Michael

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just an FYI here too anything @Geohot is fake..... So, this link for an untethered greenp0ison has been removed.;)

Most reactions

Latest posts