What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Mini should i get?

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My ipad 1 couldn't be restored for some reason and now im looking into ipad mini. I would like to get one that will be able to install higher future firmware. They're still selling the mini 1 for lesser price but unsure if its limited to a firmware update, also looking into Mini 3, which one would you recommend?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My ipad 1 couldn't be restored for some reason and now im looking into ipad mini. I would like to get one that will be able to install higher future firmware. They're still selling the mini 1 for lesser price but unsure if its limited to a firmware update, also looking into Mini 3, which one would you recommend?
If you can afford the price, I'd recommend that you get the iPad Mini 3, it has the Retina display and has the newer A7 64 bit processor with M7 co processor and better specifications all around. It's also available in 16, 64, and 128GB storage sizes. It will receive software updates for several mor years than the original iPad mini.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally I think the mini2/32GB wifi for $350 is the value buy. So I bought one and moved from the 64GB iPad gen1/3g. The mini2 with the A7 processor is much, much faster than the old gen1 iPad. The old gen 1 iPad wouldn't update past iOS 5.x either. The new mini2 is on 8.1.1 presently.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Hunter1 - if not already done, I would urge you to look at the regular sized iPads (9.7") vs. the Minis (7.9") - if you're planning to do a lot of reading on the iPad (especially magazine subscriptions), then the larger screen and retina display (particularly w/ 'older' eyes) may be preferable? My wife has the Mini and does not subscribe to magazines, but I do on my iPad 2 (soon to be replaced w/ an iPad Air 2).

Now if indeed you want a newer Mini, depends on your budget (and if important, then consider refurbished models from Apple) and needs, particularly the amount of storage desired and the need for a cellular plan - please look at the model specs comparison HERE. For myself, I would go w/ either the iPad Mini 2 or 3 - both offer a retina display and the A7/M7 processors, plus the Mini 3 has fingerprint technology, so I would favor the Mini 3. As to storage, I would be reluctant to purchase a device w/ only 16 GBs on board, so 32 or 64 GBs would be my considerations.

I'm sure that you'll receive other opinions, but just my thoughts. Dave :)

P.S. Looks like I was 'beaten to the punch' - LOL!

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One point of consideration is that the mini2 has a higher ppi count than the Air. If your eyes are getting older (like mine), you may have to zoom the display to read the text comfortably. I don't think it's quite as much of as issue on the Air as the mini2, based a looking at them in an Apple store. But I needed the mini2 size for a specific application. And the $350 price was much more acceptable than the $600 price of a 64GB Air2 or the $500 price of a 32GB Air.

OP
H

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for all the helpful advice and I'm being careful in choosing the right one, so many to choose from, unlike before. I had my iPad1 for many years, although I like the size specifically for browsing, not reading books, I like to try something different. I haven't seen the Mini nor the newer iPads in person, although I'm I'm planning to get the Mini 3, I still yet to see and try both Mini and Regular iPad in person. I'm looking to get one this weekend and my budget is $400, the Mini 3 16gb sells for $399 plus tax.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Honestly, the 16GB is too small. 32GB should be the entry level, imo. Once you get some music and pictures, etc. on there, you won't have room for an iOS update unless you always update via iTunes.

The mini3 and the mini2 have the same processor (the A7). The mini 3 only adds a fingerprint scanner and the gold color option over the mini2. I'd give that up before I'd give up storage, especially for the price difference. For your budget, the 32gb mini2 wifi is the only viable choice I see.

Go here and compare models:
http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

If you have a Target Red Card, buy it there and save 5%.

Last edited:
OP
H

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The fingerprint or the other color aren't that important to me, what I'm going by is the capability of future updates of the older model. If the Mini 2 or iPad 2 is capable of updating future firmware a for at least 3 years, then it's fine. I agree having more storage on an iPad is very important, and I think my iPad 1 has 32gb. I have a $400 gift card at a particular store, so it really comes down to what they have.

OP
H

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah I've been reading between the two, it seems that Mini 2 is a better buy.

OP
H

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Looks like my choice is only Mini 3 16gb because my gift card store only has that choice or the Mini first gen, which I don't like. The iphone I have only has 16gb from the first gen even now and never needed more, but the iPad 1 I have has 32gb. Will I get by with the 16gb Mini 3 with few games installed and few photos and videos?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'd wait until I could get more storage. I know it's hard, but you do not want to be stuck with 16GB. It will go very fast, and "probably" be a pain to upgrade when the next iOS version comes out.

OP
H

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does the storage capacity matters when updating to the next firmware? I always update thru iTunes and never thought of storage capacity being a problem. I'll ask the store if they're getting the mini 2 with 32gb or the 3 with 32gb, they may have it for Christmas.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
True, storage does not matter as much when updating through iTunes.

But I still feel you would regret getting a16 GB model. Given the size of games and media these days it will fill up before you know it. While that's only a matter of managment in some ways, it's can also be measured in lost opportunities and frustration when you need to do something now, not after 20 minutes of deciding what you can delete and/or move elsewhere.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Does the storage capacity matters when updating to the next firmware? I always update thru iTunes and never thought of storage capacity being a problem. I'll ask the store if they're getting the mini 2 with 32gb or the 3 with 32gb, they may have it for Christmas.

Hi again Hunter1 - you've received numerous comments warning you against buying a 16 GB advanced iPad Mini - I will simply reinforce these suggestions, i.e. you will be making a BIG mistake in buying the newest technology (forget the A5 processor) w/ such a LOW storage capacity - I'll close my trap at this point. Dave :)

Most reactions